2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
With Brown and Gaborik getting to 1000 games, I looked up when Kopitar will reach that. End of next season if he doesn't miss any games. Where does all the time go? Carts has more games played than Kopi but Kopi should hit 1000 first.

Kopitar 876 games
Carter 883 games

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/letang-s-struggles-lie-in-unlucky-percentages-1.952610

With Letang's name floating around in trade rumors, would you entertain the thought of trading Muzzin for Letang (with some salary retained)? Letang carries a cap hit of $7.25M, and when healthy, he is a top 10 defenseman, but that is the big question mark that always looms over Letang -- his health. He is currently 30 and has four more years remaining after this season. He is an elite defenseman, and adding another right-handed dman capable of logging 24+ minutes would be invaluable. However, you also have to deal with the uncertainty of whether or not he will remain healthy.

Justin Williams was a calculated risk, and he paid dividends in the longer term. There is no doubt that Letang is superior to Muzzin, but he's also more expensive and has more mileage on him. It would also make zero financial sense to take on such a big contract without receiving something back.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
f*** no on Letang. You think people are mad at Muzzin's brain farts? Better buy stock in Tums if Letang is ever on our ice. Especially at this stage in his career where he's not only a puck liability but a healthy liability and rumored to be a total pain vs. Pittsburgh's coaching and management staff (I believe the exact quote was he's not listening to coaching).

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
If I had only a choice between Muzzin or Letang,it's Muzzin without question.As many have said,Letang is older and a liability with health issues.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
this stretch is where the Kings will lose a bulk of their games so don't get mad, get ready

@ SJ 2-0 L
VS VGK
@ VAN
@ EDM
@ CGY
VS NSH
VS ANA
VS SJ
VS PIT
@ ANA
VS NYR
@ VAN
@ CGY
@ DAL
@ NSH
VS ARZ
VS EDM
@ FLO
@ TB
@ CAR
@ PIT
@ BUF
@ CHI
@ WIN
VS DAL
VS EDM
VS VGK
@ VGK

January and February are tough ones, and we play the Pacific 12 of the next 17 games (includes the SJ game)

this will be fun

Reactions: KINGS17

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So if we lose those games, we can hear the "I told you so"s going full bore (but let's be real, they do anyway), and if we win, not a peep, right? I could have sworn we got the "not impressed"/"not fooled" stuff out of the way early, but I guess it's just gonna persist through the playoffs unless we win the Stanley Cup at which point 85% of those posts/posters will disappear without an acknowledgement of wrongness...seen this movie twice before ;)

That back to back vs. VGK seems like it could be meaningful at that point, pretty cool

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
So if we lose those games, we can hear the "I told you so"s going full bore (but let's be real, they do anyway), and if we win, not a peep, right? I could have sworn we got the "not impressed"/"not fooled" stuff out of the way early, but I guess it's just gonna persist through the playoffs unless we win the Stanley Cup at which point 85% of those posts/posters will disappear without an acknowledgement of wrongness...seen this movie twice before ;)

That back to back vs. VGK seems like it could be meaningful at that point, pretty cool

we haven't played the Pacific much

that has some merit that you can't just ignore

because you know we struggle against the Coyotes right? and i'm just talking Coyotes here

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
we haven't played the Pacific much

that has some merit that you can't just ignore

because you know we struggle against the Coyotes right? and i'm just talking Coyotes here

Not at all ignoring it and it's a very important point.

Just pointing out we've had two or three "prove yourself" stretches this season and smashed each one but no one was satisfied.

I just don't like the posturing for smugness over potential losses is all.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

We've been telling you so for the last few seasons lol.Nothing has changed in the play of this team or on this roster at anytime this season that makes them a cup contender.The denial is strong with many.Its those who fail to see it and keep pumping this team into something their not but not willing to admit you've been wrong.Until this team plugs one of the two holes on this roster, their not not winning the cup with the present roster.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not at all ignoring it and it's a very important point.

Just pointing out we've had two or three "prove yourself" stretches this season and smashed each one but no one was satisfied.

I just don't like the posturing for smugness over potential losses is all.
Not sure why you see smugness where others see that this edition of the Kings must continually prove themselves after the last three seasons.

Too many here point to 2014 or 2012. Kopitar and Brown are having phenomenal seasons thus far. Given their cap hits, they will have to continue to do so throughout the playoffs for the team to have the kind of success which warrants those types of salaries. Missing the playoffs and 1st round exits are not acceptable. I am ready to be convinced, and I root for the team, but you can understand while some might still have reservations.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We've been telling you so for the last few seasons lol.Nothing has changed in the play of this team or on this roster at anytime this season that makes them a cup contender.The denial is strong with many.Its those who fail to see it and keep pumping this team into something their not but not willing to admit you've been wrong.Until this team plugs one of the two holes on this roster, their not not winning the cup with the present roster.

The only thing I've been wrong about with this team so far is they've been better than I thought. It's just easier to enjoy Kings hockey when the expectation is "anything less than a Stanley Cup will make me miserable and insufferable on the Internet."

Not sure why you see smugness where others see that this edition of the Kings must continually prove themselves after the last three seasons.

Too many here point to 2014 or 2012. Kopitar and Brown are having phenomenal seasons thus far. Given their cap hits, they will have to continue to do so throughout the playoffs for the team to have the kind of success which warrants those types of salaries. Missing the playoffs and 1st round exits are not acceptable. I am ready to be convinced, and I root for the team, but you can understand while some might still have reservations.

Because you get posts like the above where a stretch in the schedule gets pointed out as being difficult (absolutely okay) and to prepare for losses (posturing so posters can come back and lambaste other posters with SEE I TOLD YOU SO). Then when the Kings slay a stretch of schedule--those posters disappear until a random loss. Rinse, repeat. If you're ready to be convinced as you say then you're not who I'm referring to. As far as continually proving themselves, yes, every season brings those opportunities--but when those bridges are crossed, it's okay to assess stretches of play as a success; yet some people here are allergic to happiness.

I just don't see people's expectations as commensurate with what is actually happening. Before the season, many (most?) people had this team pegged as a black hole team. Now they're defying that expectation to almost its penultimate extreme, yet, there's still incessant bitching about what is and what could be. So, somewhere between the regular season and now, some posters decided this team was an ultimate contender and apparently raised expectations to Cup-or-bust, and literally any loss comes with a laundry list of things to fix while any win results in a barely 4 page GDT. I get that it's hard to critique things when they're working, but why is it so god damn difficult to just be cautiously optimistic without inviting a caustic shitstorm of negativity?

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Mr raccoon i pose u a question that i would also like others to chime in and answer but i want your opinion of it. When does honest criticism cross the line into full time complaining ? I mean there are a few posters in here i can't remember them posting a positive post in the last 3 years I mean fine to be critical but there has to be a balance with some positive doesn't it ?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, even full-time complaining is okay if it's not directed at posters. My beef is with the people who try to suggest others are sheep for enjoying the product on the ice, for example. That can happen from being too positive as well, for what it's worth, we just don't see it here often, that's for sure.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
The only thing I've been wrong about with this team so far is they've been better than I thought. It's just easier to enjoy Kings hockey when the expectation is "anything less than a Stanley Cup will make me miserable and insufferable on the Internet."

Because you get posts like the above where a stretch in the schedule gets pointed out as being difficult (absolutely okay) and to prepare for losses (posturing so posters can come back and lambaste other posters with SEE I TOLD YOU SO). Then when the Kings slay a stretch of schedule--those posters disappear until a random loss. Rinse, repeat. If you're ready to be convinced as you say then you're not who I'm referring to. As far as continually proving themselves, yes, every season brings those opportunities--but when those bridges are crossed, it's okay to assess stretches of play as a success; yet some people here are allergic to happiness.

I just don't see people's expectations as commensurate with what is actually happening. Before the season, many (most?) people had this team pegged as a black hole team. Now they're defying that expectation to almost its penultimate extreme, yet, there's still incessant *****ing about what is and what could be. So, somewhere between the regular season and now, some posters decided this team was an ultimate contender and apparently raised expectations to Cup-or-bust, and literally any loss comes with a laundry list of things to fix while any win results in a barely 4 page GDT. I get that it's hard to critique things when they're working, but why is it so god damn difficult to just be cautiously optimistic without inviting a caustic ****storm of negativity?

I think the clear answer is this: the board has lost a lot of quality posters over the past several years who have been replaced by obnoxiously ignorant posters. This place is almost insufferable these days.

In fact, I have no idea why I still read. I'm clearly just torturing myself for some reason. Maybe because there are still a few quality individuals here among the crap.

Ugh.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I understand reservations, but people don't point to 2012 and 2014 to defend Kopitar. They point to his overall body of work where last year, a year it turns out he had trouble shooting for four months, was the only year since being a rookie he didn't lead the team in scoring. He is also one of the ice time leaders, top defensive forwards, and top penalty killers.

Brown has a less glamorous resume, but he is bouncing back.

Plus it's been visible the effect a coaching change has had on a team.

But people are very smug in pointing out how bad a division leading team is when imperfections get exploited.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I just don't see people's expectations as commensurate with what is actually happening. Before the season, many (most?) people had this team pegged as a black hole team. Now they're defying that expectation to almost its penultimate extreme, yet, there's still incessant *****ing about what is and what could be. So, somewhere between the regular season and now, some posters decided this team was an ultimate contender and apparently raised expectations to Cup-or-bust, and literally any loss comes with a laundry list of things to fix while any win results in a barely 4 page GDT. I get that it's hard to critique things when they're working, but why is it so god damn difficult to just be cautiously optimistic without inviting a caustic ****storm of negativity?

I don't see the "prepare for some losses" phrase as posturing, or as preparing for SEE I TOLD YOU SO. I see it as realistic, as I never expected this team to play at a .667 clip for an entire season, and I still don't.

This team has some obvious flaws, but I do think the parity which exists around the NHL covers some of it. There are no longer teams like the 2012 - 2014 Kings, or 2010-2015 Blackhawks to point out the flaws. I think the bar is a little lower and some of us may be adjusting to it.

Regarding your cup or bust point. If it isn't cup or bust, what is the point of signing Kopitar and probably Doughty to mega-contracts if it isn't about the Stanley Cup? The Stanley Cup expectation should be what the leaders of the organization are talking about every day.

Reactions: BigKing

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't see the "prepare for some losses" phrase as posturing, or as preparing for SEE I TOLD YOU SO. I see it as realistic, as I never expected this team to play at a .667 clip for an entire season, and I still don't.

This team has some obvious flaws, but I do think the parity which exists around the NHL covers some of it. There are no longer teams like the 2012 - 2014 Kings, or 2010-2015 Blackhawks to point out the flaws. I think the bar is a little lower and some of us may be adjusting to it.

Regarding your cup or bust point. If it isn't cup or bust, what is the point of signing Kopitar and probably Doughty to mega-contracts if it isn't about the Stanley Cup? The Stanley Cup expectation should be what the leaders of the organization are talking about every day.

I'll put it this way--we won 8 straight and lost 1 and you would have thought from the 8 straight that we had no fans and from the 1 loss that we were a canadian lottery team. Every team has obvious flaws--even the 2012 and 2014 Kings--but we have the benefit of hindsight as well as the chance to realize as messed up as those teams were they were able to pull it together and have everyone play above their means.

Yes, players, org, fans should have a winning expectation, but not to the detriment of enjoyment to the extent that literally every loss is the end of the road or an indication this team is broken. It's exhausting.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'll put it this way--we won 8 straight and lost 1 and you would have thought from the 8 straight that we had no fans and from the 1 loss that we were a canadian lottery team. Every team has obvious flaws--even the 2012 and 2014 Kings--but we have the benefit of hindsight as well as the chance to realize as messed up as those teams were they were able to pull it together and have everyone play above their means.

Yes, players, org, fans should have a winning expectation, but not to the detriment of enjoyment to the extent that literally every loss is the end of the road or an indication this team is broken. It's exhausting.

Just wait until they lose six straight again. This is a streaky team. Streaky teams aren't usually teams which contend for a Stanley Cup, because it is hard for a streaky team to avoid a "bad streak" over two months of playoff games.

Reactions: deaderhead28
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki