2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
There is something VERY special about hockey played for your country. I bleed back and gold but I look forward to the WJC, Olympic hockey, etc....more than anything else. Im ashamed to admit how badly I want USA Hockey to catch up with Canada. I speak of it to friends in terms like, "maybe not before I die, but my son might see it".

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
There is something VERY special about hockey played for your country. I bleed back and gold but I look forward to the WJC, Olympic hockey, etc....more than anything else. Im ashamed to admit how badly I want USA Hockey to catch up with Canada. I speak of it to friends in terms like, "maybe not before I die, but my son might see it".

I am not one of those Canadian fans who believe "we own the game" BS, and am also one that believes that gap is minimal now

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I am not one of those Canadian fans who believe "we own the game" BS, and am also one that believes that gap is minimal now

To me, the gap is now mostly "depth". USA has as many high end players (certainly not as percentage of population, but in total "N") but Canada always has such a pool to pull from. Its pretty clear to me that there is certainly still a gap but every time we medal in the Juniors, I get a little tingle.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This tournament could be Brad Marchand's ticket to the 2018 Olympics if he plays well.

Curious to see how Backes and Team USA does. They need a good showing after their terrible showing at the Sochi Olympics.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
This tournament could be Brad Marchand's ticket to the 2018 Olympics if he plays well.

Curious to see how Backes and Team USA does. They need a good showing after their terrible showing at the Sochi Olympics.

Not sure about PyongChang...I have a feeling that the WCoH is going to be popular enough that the NHL is just going to sit out South Korea and Beijing. Even if the WCoH does fairly dismal, it's a good harbinger to the NHL season, and the timing is more palatable to the folks with the money than shutting down the league for two weeks and change.

But it is nice to see Brad finally coming into his own and getting picked for the national team. I just don't want to see him actually playing in the IIHF WCH as a regular, because...well....there are better ways for him to spend May and June.

I'm gradually warming up to the WCoH. Having someone from the Bruins to root for on 6 of the 8 teams kind of helps. (Sorry, still counting Loui.)

Random question: what are the rules for points in the round robin? Is it the NHL 2-0 for regulation win, 2-1 for OT/SO win? Are ties broken by number of ROT wins followed by goal diff and goals for? I remember reading somewhere that it's 3v3 OT, just like the NHL, which makes sense.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
News from Team Canada's camp.

http://www.tsn.ca/crosby-marchand-bergeron-paired-at-camp-1.561251

from tsn.ca:

Sidney Crosby centred Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron as Canada offered a first glimpse at potential line combinations for the World Cup of Hockey on Monday afternoon.

Ryan Getzlaf lined up between two former No. 1 overall picks in John Tavares and Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews centred Tyler Seguin and Logan Couture, and Claude Giroux was paired with Joe Thornton and Matt Duchene.

Corey Perry was Canada's extra forward on the first day of training camp at Canadian Tire Centre.

The Canadian defence, meanwhile, saw Marc-Edouard Vlasic slide into Duncan Keith's spot alongside Shea Weber. Keith pulled out of the tournament late last month due to a lingering knee injury. Jake Muzzin was teamed with Los Angeles Kings teammate Drew Doughty, while Alex Pietrangelo lined up with Brent Burns on the third pair.

Jay Bouwmeester served as the extra. Carey Price, Braden Holtby, and Corey Crawford split the two nets.

Price, who missed nearly all of last season for the Montreal Canadiens, is expected to be the team's No. 1 goaltender.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Bergy and Marchand with Crosby at Team Canada practice

That's exciting. East Coast represent. Two Nova Scotians and a guy who played juniors in New Brunswick.

Interesting having the two controversially-traded ex-Bruins – Seguin and Thornton – on the squad as well.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
FLUTO SHINZAWA - ON HOCKEY
Patrice Bergeron will carry a heavy load in the World Cup

The Bruins cannot afford a legless Bergeron — to say nothing of an injured No. 37 — to start their season Oct. 13 against Columbus. David Backes should reduce some of the strain on Bergeron. The ex-Blues captain can take defensive-zone draws, kill penalties, and skate against top forwards.

But Bergeron is better than Backes, David Krejci, and Ryan Spooner. Aside from Anze Kopitar, Bergeron has no rivals as a 200-foot center. Yet for all his skill, Bergeron could not lead the Bruins to the playoffs in the last two seasons.

Now the Bruins will start 2016-17 with Bergeron having burned some of his matches when they require a full box.

“Claude’s always been very good about managing that,†Bergeron said of his off-day workload. “We get back and there’s a week left, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe we’ll manage that last week.

“I think it’s going to be a good thing before starting the season, feeling good about your game and really being in game shape from Game 1 instead of maybe expecting it for a few more ames.â€

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Frederik Andersen is out of this month's World Cup of Hockey.

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced the goaltender incurred an upper-body injury in Denmark's Olympic qualifier with Slovenia on Friday and will be out for three to four weeks.

Andersen was dealt to the Leafs prior to June's National Hockey League Entry Draft from the Anaheim Ducks. He then signed a five-year, $25 million extension with the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-andersen-out-of-world-cup-1.561205

Bearcrap

Jan 29, 2004
Pembroke
Seguin Misses WCH Practice With Illness

I see that Tyler Seguin was forced to miss todays Team Canada practice because he was "under the weather". Now what could be the cause of that? :cheers:

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
raw

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Frederik Andersen is out of this month's World Cup of Hockey.

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced the goaltender incurred an upper-body injury in Denmark's Olympic qualifier with Slovenia on Friday and will be out for three to four weeks.

Andersen was dealt to the Leafs prior to June's National Hockey League Entry Draft from the Anaheim Ducks. He then signed a five-year, $25 million extension with the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-andersen-out-of-world-cup-1.561205

Holy crap, they've already started qualifiers for 2018???

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKA isn't playing
:(

14257676_10209608643625624_1776358522674641313_o.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad