2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I understand.

But would you rather have Slovakia & Norway to fill out the field?

Do the last two spots by qualification

Switzerland and Slovakia would probably qualify.

While Switzerland isn't a hockey power, they aren't a push over either, in the last three olympics they won 6 out of 14 and beat Canada and the Czech Republic.

Slovakia has won 9 out of 15 in the last three olympics and beat teams like Russia, Sweden, and the USA.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Who are we?
"North American stars under 23!!!!!"
Now let's go out there and win something for this demographic!

You're right, in part. But stupid gimmick teams ruin this for me.

That's the team I'm most excited to see... Those kids are absolutely going to play hard simply to prove they belong with the other stars in the tourney. Plus it's a unique look at the next generation of superstars

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
That's the team I'm most excited to see... Those kids are absolutely going to play hard simply to prove they belong with the other stars in the tourney. Plus it's a unique look at the next generation of superstars

While it will be exciting to see those kids play, I'm more interested in seeing what other players will do to guys like McDavid | Eichel | Johnny Hockey if they decide to make this into a pond hockey game and try to embarrass some vets.

Imagine if Weber or Ovie lays one of them out? :laugh:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Why would they try hard over a few game tournament to prove they 'belong'? I am sure whats most important to them is not getting hurt so they can go back to their NHL teams, prove they belong while earning a bigger pay check.

When it is all said and done, they won't sell out the tickets and the ratings on tv will be a joke.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Why would they try hard over a few game tournament to prove they 'belong'? I am sure whats most important to them is not getting hurt so they can go back to their NHL teams, prove they belong while earning a bigger pay check.

When it is all said and done, they won't sell out the tickets and the ratings on tv will be a joke.

They will...it's Toronto.

I do agree; TV ratings will be a joke...especially if the Jays make the playoffs here in Toronto.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Removing the strict national element from the tournament tarnishes it quite a bit. I'll watch but I would be way more into it if it was set up like a straight up nation vs nation best on best.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
I'm looking forward to it except for the NA u-23 team. I would rather have a team of all the players who didn't get picked on the first squad from the remaining pool.

If NA-23 wins, who defends the title next time around?

That is my major concern. If McDavid was eligible for Canada, he should play there, and same for Eichel and the US. in the case of both of these players, they could have cracked the varsity rosters.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Was just in the Bruins Pro Shop and the World Cup jerseys are in

9tTRoXw.jpg
1IIgYRb.jpg

No ads on the ones you can purchase.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Was just in the Bruins Pro Shop and the World Cup jerseys are in

9tTRoXw.jpg
1IIgYRb.jpg

No ads on the ones you can purchase.

haven`t been paying a ton of attention to World Cup stuff, but Krejci isn`t playing is he? I thought he`s out til training camp at least? Asking not arguing, thx

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I'll probably watch, since I'm already starved for hockey. But I'd be happy if they got rid of it.

I think from that same Czech report, I read something about Krejci saying the WCoH was "bigger than the Olympics". Seriously? Say what you will about corruption, the Olympics has history and symbolism. The WCoH has Europe, which, last I checked, is the team that sang "The Final Countdown".

I mean, from the players' perspective, the WCoH is a lot nicer - I'd rather be put up in a Toronto hotel that's near my "work" city, and have a city that can function because mine is the only sport playing. It's a whole lot better than being put in makeshift athlete dorms in Sochi and/or Pyongyang with thousands of athletes and where the city is paralyzed due to temporary athletic tourism.

I don't blame them for not wanting to go to North Korea. Yikers!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I mean, from the players' perspective, the WCoH is a lot nicer - I'd rather be put up in a Toronto hotel that's near my "work" city, and have a city that can function because mine is the only sport playing. It's a whole lot better than being put in makeshift athlete dorms in Sochi and/or Pyongyang with thousands of athletes and where the city is paralyzed due to temporary athletic tourism.

I don't blame them for not wanting to go to North Korea. Yikers!

The games will be played in PyeongChang, SOUTH Korea which is 80 miles from the North Korean border.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yes, yes, third person to point out my PyeongChang/Pyongyang boo-boo. :booboo: I'll be sure that everybody Pyeongchangs tonight. :yo::yo::yo:

I'm not the only one to make the error, which is why they the Olympic organizers CamelCase the name internationally. Some guy from Kenya actually flew into Pyongyang, North Korea for a scientific conference, when he meant to fly into Pyeongchang, South Korea.

The More You Know (TM).

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
can this be streamed?
i cancelled my directv and dont think im gonna get it again. because i havent really missed it.
when the bruins start up it will be an issue tho.
is there anyway to watch games if you dont have cable??

its really the only thing i care to watch

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
can this be streamed?
i cancelled my directv and dont think im gonna get it again. because i havent really missed it.
when the bruins start up it will be an issue tho.
is there anyway to watch games if you dont have cable??

its really the only thing i care to watch

ESPN 3 is ESPN's streaming service. I don't have much experience with it, but looking on their site, there are a few things that get leaked onto ESPN 3 from ESPN and "The Deuce".

I imagine that, at the very least, they would stick replays of all games up there. Streaming it live would be a possibility, too. I've noticed they tend not to announce these details very far in advance.

Unfortunately, from what I gather, you have to be authenticated by a cable provider or an internet service provider.

But either way, the shows marked "ESPN 3" should definitely be available live on the net...and, in fact, will ONLY be available online, since there is no actual ESPN 3 on TV.

EDIT: Doh. I didn't even notice that the ESPN 3 games are basically WCOH scrimmages. Bleah. But they do put up some of the wackier stuff online, like spelling bees, poker, and MathCounts, so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad