2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I could care less who wins this, but there have been a couple of very entertaining games. I'm just hoping none of the B's players get hurt.

Is it wrong of me to be looking forward to tomorrow after the Russians beat the Fins and all the TNA crazies get all butt hurt? I will be happy in 4 years if the TNA concept goes away. The Canadians are deep enough to lose some 23 and unders and still be a powerhouse. The US can't afford to not be able to take players like Gaudreu, Eichel, Matthews and Jones.

Agree. Team USA lost the most out of any team in this tourney.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm pretty sure you should be asking yourself that question....

You make a general statement that is just insulting a mass of people for caring about something that you, the decider, has deemed a "gimmick".

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Coming onto a thread that has an intended purpose of talking about the World Cup of Hockey and basically just saying "people are into this? LOL" is about as pointless as it gets.

A. It is a gimmick.
B. This is the thread for world cup talk, which my question pertained to.
C. Why are you getting worked up over a question?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Good to see your negativity is not limited to just the Bruins.

It's not negative. It's calling a gimmick a gimmick. And I think that it detracts from the overall tournament. What's really sad is the same people can't handle even an innocuous question about it just like when the questions are about the Bruins.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It's not negative. It's calling a gimmick a gimmick. And I think that it detracts from the overall tournament. What's really sad is the same people can't handle even an innocuous question about it just like when the questions are about the Bruins.

It's entertainment much like the NHL regular season, NHL playoffs, NBA all star game, live ACDC concert, Marvel comic movies, the opera, baseball, and pro boxing.

All gimmicks? No it's all entertainment much like the World Hockey championship.

Last edited:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

If you watched you would have seen the interview yesterday with Bettman when he was asked about why they went with the idea of these two teams, his explanation was on the mark. It was done so they didn't have the same format as the olympics, where you always end up with one or two weak sisters to round out the number of teams you need. Thus is perfect, as Babcock said, "who ever came up with the idea of team NA and Team Europe need to get tons of credit, outstanding idea". There is no way anyone could have watched that game today between Sweden and Tean NA and not come away impressed, anyone who watched and still called it a gimmick is simply a person who is never happy, regardless. This hockey is way better than the Olympics simply due to the fact you don't have a team getting beat 11-0 in the round robin.

Last edited:

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
The penalty call on Sekera (double minor) for drawing blood from Thornton after Thornton trip/slew-foots him backward causing his stick to come up and cut Thornton is one of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Canadian commentators giving Chara some props for his performance since the real tournament started. Still going up against top players.

He's looked good on a pairing with Sekara.

Goes to show reduce his minutes and give him a capable partner and the reports of his impending demise are greatly exaggerated.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Someone please explain to me how Joe Thornton trips Sekera, who falls, and as he does his stick comes up and clips Jumbo. The refs give Europe a double minor, JT a trip and Canada gets a PP. The ref said something about Sekera controlling his stick.

As he was falling? :laugh:

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
Someone please explain to me how Joe Thornton trips Sekera, who falls, and as he does his stick comes up and clips Jumbo. The refs give Europe a double minor, JT a trip and Canada gets a PP. The ref said something about Sekera controlling his stick.

As he was falling? :laugh:

And not just falling, but being tripped from behind so he's falling BACKWARDS. As if when you get your leg taken out from behind you, you should be able to fall forwards.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If you watched you would have seen the interview yesterday with Bettman when he was asked about why they went with the idea of these two teams, his explanation was on the mark. It was done so they didn't have the same format as the olympics, where you always end up with one or two weak sisters to round out the number of teams you need. Thus is perfect, as Babcock said, "who ever came up with the idea of team NA and Team Europe need to get tons of credit, outstanding idea". There is no way anyone could have watched that game today between Sweden and Tean NA and not come away impressed, anyone who watched and still called it a gimmick is simply a person who is never happy, regardless. This hockey is way better than the Olympus simply due to the fact you don't have a team getting beat 11-0 in the round robin.

This is where I see things differently. The Olympics is entirely a different beast and in my opinion nothing beats watching Olympic hockey other than the bruins going deep in a playoff run. Nothing compares or beats patriotism.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is where I see things differently. The Olympics is entirely a different beast and in my opinion nothing beats watching Olympic hockey other than the bruins going deep in a playoff run. Nothing compares or beats patriotism.

When cheering for your country - Olympics > World Cup

Sheer entertainment value for the overall competition this World Cup has exceeded the last Olympics thus far.

Could it be the international ice?

Sochi was a bore. Torino was no better. Seoul in 1998 was hard to judge with the excessive time difference.

Outside of the gold medal games there really wasn't much to write home about for Salt Lake or Vancouver as far as pure entertainment value.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
And not just falling, but being tripped from behind so he's falling BACKWARDS. As if when you get your leg taken out from behind you, you should be able to fall forwards.

I don't get it? Thornton committed the penalty, which caused Sekera's stick to come up. How the heck was he supposed to control his stick as he's falling? And then JT is crying because he has a tiny cut on his lip. I'm sorry, but I can't stand him.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Canadian commentators giving Chara some props for his performance since the real tournament started. Still going up against top players.

He's looked good on a pairing with Sekara.

Goes to show reduce his minutes and give him a capable partner and the reports of his impending demise are greatly exaggerated.

I haven't watched too much of the tournament, but I agree. I have been pleasantly surprised aside from the first game I saw him play in.

Still think we're ****ed at game 50 or so of the season when his body can't take the wear and tear of an 82 game season anymore. That is, when he is inevitably put on the top pair and given special teams time throughout the season.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Amen to that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If you watched you would have seen the interview yesterday with Bettman when he was asked about why they went with the idea of these two teams, his explanation was on the mark. It was done so they didn't have the same format as the olympics, where you always end up with one or two weak sisters to round out the number of teams you need. Thus is perfect, as Babcock said, "who ever came up with the idea of team NA and Team Europe need to get tons of credit, outstanding idea". There is no way anyone could have watched that game today between Sweden and Tean NA and not come away impressed, anyone who watched and still called it a gimmick is simply a person who is never happy, regardless. This hockey is way better than the Olympics simply due to the fact you don't have a team getting beat 11-0 in the round robin.

Seen some of it, simply not a fan of the format. As I don't know you and you don't know me, why don't you keep your armchair psychiatric diagnosis to yourself, mmkay?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Mid season form. :laugh:

Why are people so incapable of discussing something that differs from their view here? They tried a new format. Why is that not a valid discussion point?

Maybe because you introduce the topic like a pompous jerk??? Maybe? Possibly???

:dunno:

Seems like maybe what you're getting at is it's tough to be patriotic or root for one particular team because "your players" are represented by multiple teams and "Team USA" is watered down from the format. If that's what you're getting at, that's fine. But I literally could not decipher that point until something around your tenth post on the topic, so I think that speaks to you not communicating and rather simply insulting. Saying "people are seriously into this gimmick? Really? Can't wait for the season to start" isn't opening yourself up to discussion. It's blatantly calling the people who enjoy the format/competition stupid.

I don't know what exactly you mean by "mid-season form", but it's a comment solely meant to incite, so I'm going to let it go.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Maybe because you introduce the topic like a pompous jerk??? Maybe? Possibly???

:dunno:

Seems like maybe what you're getting at is it's tough to be patriotic or root for one particular team because "your players" are represented by multiple teams and "Team USA" is watered down from the format. If that's what you're getting at, that's fine. But I literally could not decipher that point until something around your tenth post on the topic, so I think that speaks to you not communicating and rather simply insulting. Saying "people are seriously into this gimmick? Really? Can't wait for the season to start" isn't opening yourself up to discussion. It's blatantly calling the people who enjoy the format/competition stupid.

I don't know what exactly you mean by "mid-season form", but it's a comment solely meant to incite, so I'm going to let it go.

You quote me, call me negative for wanting to discuss the pros and cons of a new format, throw a face palm emoji and then want to bounce, then call me a pompous jerk, yet I'm trying to incite you? :laugh:

Pot meet kettle...

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You quote me, call me negative for wanting to discuss the pros and cons of a new format, throw a face palm emoji and then want to bounce, then call me a pompous jerk, yet I'm trying to incite you? :laugh:

Pot meet kettle...

Sorry, Lonnie. I just couldn't stay away. For the record, I never called you negative. But, I'm not going to disagree with it.

Simply don't know why you would say what you said and somehow expect people to take kindly to it (this is another thing, you're talking to me as if I'm the only one who has a problem with the way you approached the topic...) and start up a civil discussion.

You began your contribution to the topic by calling the entire tournament a gimmick (you said nothing about format), said "seriously, people are entertained by this?", implied you couldn't wait for "real hockey", as in the NHL regular season to start and now have this expectation that you've been wronged because people couldn't see you simply wanted to discuss the pros and cons of the format.

You said something that obviously was going to ruffle people's feathers, you succeeded, and now you're playing the naive/innocent game.

Now, my opinion on the format...if this is your actual point, because I still haven't seen much material from you about the topic you are apparently dying to discuss:

I would say taking away from Team USA inevitably makes them a weaker team. I'm not sure I am completely down on the format, but I'd like the selection process to be a little more transparent. Obviously, as at least one other poster said, Canada can afford the "watering down" while the US cannot. Perhaps Team NA simply has to be made up of all Canadian players. Of course, this gives an unfair advantage in a way to the US. More thinking the format needs to be "tweaked" rather than completely overhauled.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I could care less who wins this thing at the end of the day.

But I've been completely entertained since the tournament began.

I could care less who wins this, but there have been a couple of very entertaining games. I'm just hoping none of the B's players get hurt.

Is it wrong of me to be looking forward to tomorrow after the Russians beat the Fins and all the TNA crazies get all butt hurt? I will be happy in 4 years if the TNA concept goes away. The Canadians are deep enough to lose some 23 and unders and still be a powerhouse. The US can't afford to not be able to take players like Gaudreu, Eichel, Matthews and Jones.

So, you do care who wins this shinny tournament :laugh:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Seen some of it, simply not a fan of the format. As I don't know you and you don't know me, why don't you keep your armchair psychiatric diagnosis to yourself, mmkay?

Not sure where you got the "psychiatric diagnosis" from but if I was to do that, you are simply a half empty guy.:D

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sorry, Lonnie. I just couldn't stay away. For the record, I never called you negative. But, I'm not going to disagree with it.

Simply don't know why you would say what you said and somehow expect people to take kindly to it (this is another thing, you're talking to me as if I'm the only one who has a problem with the way you approached the topic...) and start up a civil discussion.

You began your contribution to the topic by calling the entire tournament a gimmick (you said nothing about format), said "seriously, people are entertained by this?", implied you couldn't wait for "real hockey", as in the NHL regular season to start and now have this expectation that you've been wronged because people couldn't see you simply wanted to discuss the pros and cons of the format.

You said something that obviously was going to ruffle people's feathers, you succeeded, and now you're playing the naive/innocent game.

Now, my opinion on the format...if this is your actual point, because I still have seen you neither confirm nor deny anything about the topic you are apparently dying to discuss:

I would say taking away from Team USA inevitably makes them a weaker team. I'm not sure I am completely down on the format, but I'd like the selection process to be a little more transparent. Obviously, as at least one other poster said, Canada can afford the "watering down" while the US cannot. Perhaps Team NA simply has to be made up of all Canadian players. Of course, this gives an unfair advantage in a way to the US. More thinking the format needs to be "tweaked" rather than completely overhauled.

So the format isn't a gimmick? They mashed together multiple countries to make all star teams to compete against Team Canada and Team USA, and limited who Team USA could select. That literally screams gimmick. Just like it was a gimmick when the NHL tried the Team North America versus Team World in the all star game a while back. Maybe next year they can bring back the Fox Glo-puck for the World Cup. That would be sweet....:laugh:

Rather than create these false teams, why not just let the countries compete on their own merits? How can it be the world cup of hockey, when they've literally taken a steaming **** on the teams that comprise the actual countries of the world?

If they want a fun entertaining event, why not pool all the players from the world and let each team captain draft the guys and throw away the country format altogether? To keep some countries and replace others with what essentially ends up being an all star team with no country affiliation seems so contrived and desperate, even if the hockey itself is entertaining.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not sure where you got the "psychiatric diagnosis" from but if I was to do that, you are simply a half empty guy.:D

Nah. I'm not a half empty or half full kind of person. I'm a salesman. Whether you view your cup as half full or half empty, to me it means there's a market for ice....:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad