2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Swedish experts call not pulling Gibson "a huge mistake". What's more likely: You score 6 on 5 with <2 minutes left OR Sweden score an ENG and/or Finland beat Russia SO or earlier?

Sure, score a goal and you're in the Semifinals, but allow one and you're pretty much eliminated.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So people really care about this World Cup of Hockey gimmick? Seriously? Yikes. Can't wait for this to be over already and for camp to begin.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So people really care about this World Cup of Hockey gimmick? Seriously? Yikes. Can't wait for this to be over already and for camp to begin.

If you had watched this afternoon you would have been excited as well.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If you had watched this afternoon you would have been excited as well.

If the tournament was more of a country versus country thing like the Olympics, I may have. I'm not saying it's bad hockey either. I'm just saying that the Team Europe/Team North America thing screams bad gimmick and makes me not have interest. I felt the same way when they did that format for the All Star Game too though...:laugh:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If the tournament was more of a country versus country thing like the Olympics, I may have. I'm not saying it's bad hockey either. I'm just saying that the Team Europe/Team North America thing screams bad gimmick and makes me not have interest. I felt the same way when they did that format for the All Star Game too though...:laugh:

At this point its pretty clear that the gimmick teams have made this a far more entertaining and competitive tourney than it would have been with Team Germany & Team Slovenia.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At this point its pretty clear that the gimmick teams have made this a far more entertaining and competitive tourney than it would have been with Team Germany & Team Slovenia.

And that's the sad part. I wouldn't even say it's about a gimmick, it's really about speed and skill. The young teams seem to have that in spades, while team USA was filled with role players and grinders. Say more about the direction the league is headed than any manufactured tournament, imo...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
NA gimmick team may be the most exciting team since the Oilers or Soviets. Not just speed but skill to match it. I'm still most amazed by their defensive abilities and commitment.

They should have made Claude the coach for that tean. Now that's a gimmick I would have tuned in for. The guy would have lost his mind trying to rein that **** in...:laugh:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Someone cares about [insert anything or anyone that anyone has ever cared about that I don't have an interest in]? Yikes. :laugh:

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, that's the real thing there, it may have been a gimmick, but what's the point of having two teams not even close to competitive, well 3 if you include USA this year. Both those teams are stacked, and it may be a little weird, especially for the players, but there's a whole bunch of guys from US and CA that wouldn't make their country's teams, and with EUROPE, only a handful of NHL guys for Germany and Slovenia, etc. It's both a gimmick AND it works.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Someone cares about [insert anything or anyone that anyone has ever cared about that I don't have an interest in]? Yikes. :laugh:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Canada Cup either. The only thing it meant was that NHL hockey was starting soon...

But why the thin skin if someone is not as into it as you are? :laugh:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I could care less who wins this thing at the end of the day.

But I've been completely entertained since the tournament began.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bergeron wearing the A tonight since Weber and Getzlaf are out. :handclap: It's about time, looks funny to see him without a letter. He's worn a letter in the NHL longer than just about every other guy on the team, I'd think.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
So I am willing to say I was wrong, the World Cup has been an entertaining tournament and the gimmick teams have been a surprise. However, a fully legitimate international tournament cannot and should not have these gimmicks.

I'd be fine with the World Cup continuing in the current format, but the NHL continuing with the Olympics.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So I am willing to say I was wrong, the World Cup has been an entertaining tournament and the gimmick teams have been a surprise. However, a fully legitimate international tournament cannot and should not have these gimmicks.

I'd be fine with the World Cup continuing in the current format, but the NHL continuing with the Olympics.

Agree about the Olympics. That's the premier tournament in the world and needs to have the best players.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Agree about the Olympics. That's the premier tournament in the world and needs to have the best players.

Agree about Olympics. This is fun but no way approaches those Canada Cups years ago.

Amazing last Christmas Crosby looked done. He's been fantastic.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

I like seeing Bergy, Marchand and Chara playing well and getting game ready for game 1.

I like seeing Canada play a dominating 4 line wave after wave. under 23 are very skilled.

Great battles in the exhibition games between Can-US.

Fun games to watch to me. Setting nicely the start of camp, pool season and the start of the season, in which the Bruins will get back into the playoffs for the 1st time since that total domination of the NHL in 2014.

And the Ryder Cup. World Series. Brady's return. Plenty to watch in the fall. Love it. World Cup included.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

I'd get rid of the all star game and stick with World Cup/Olympics every two years. The Gimmick teams are pretty much all star teams and fit in that format.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
NA gimmick team may be the most exciting team since the Oilers or Soviets. Not just speed but skill to match it. I'm still most amazed by their defensive abilities and commitment.

With speed, you can cover space fast. No reason why they can't be good defensively. That's the easiest part to learn. They have all the rest. Very skilled group.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I wasn't a huge fan of the Canada Cup either. The only thing it meant was that NHL hockey was starting soon...

I'm pretty sure you should be asking yourself that question....

You make a general statement that is just insulting a mass of people for caring about something that you, the decider, has deemed a "gimmick".

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Coming onto a thread that has an intended purpose of talking about the World Cup of Hockey and basically just saying "people are into this? LOL" is about as pointless as it gets.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This is a cool tournament to me because there isn't too much at stake. It's a brand new tournament. Guys seem to be giving it all they've got but are very willing to play an open game. Almost like they really want to win, but losing isn't the end of the world at the end of the day.

Fast, skilled, loose hockey.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Bergy is so good.

How many duo do you take in the whole NHL over Bergy and Marchand?

And if Marchand signs for 7.5M per year, how many of those are under 14.5M?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

You misread me. I don't really care. Just wondered what you hoped to achieve with your post. At least you didn't repeatedly post about how you totally don't care in the GDTs, as some do (all while commenting on things that happen in the very same games they don't care about). :laugh:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
And that's the sad part. I wouldn't even say it's about a gimmick, it's really about speed and skill. The young teams seem to have that in spades, while team USA was filled with role players and grinders. Say more about the direction the league is headed than any manufactured tournament, imo...

Good to see your negativity is not limited to just the Bruins.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I could care less who wins this, but there have been a couple of very entertaining games. I'm just hoping none of the B's players get hurt.

Is it wrong of me to be looking forward to tomorrow after the Russians beat the Fins and all the TNA crazies get all butt hurt? I will be happy in 4 years if the TNA concept goes away. The Canadians are deep enough to lose some 23 and unders and still be a powerhouse. The US can't afford to not be able to take players like Gaudreu, Eichel, Matthews and Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad