2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Don't know if this will carry over to the NHL season, but here's David Backes on Kessel's tweet:

“It’s disappointing. It’s almost to say that we were coasting or don’t care, weren’t representing our countries as well as we could have,†said David Backes, who skated alongside Kessel at the 2010 and 2014 Olympics.

“I understand there’s hard feelings if you weren’t picked for the team or whatever, but the comments are, I think — as a team guy and as a guy that stands by my teammates, win lose or draw — it’s a little distasteful and aggravating. But everyone’s got a Twitter account and you can have freedom of speech to say whatever you want and so be it.

“But those comments don’t get lost in the fray, and those comments are there and have been read and I think will be remembered when whatever happens going forward happens going forward.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/world-cup-of-hockey/usas-backes-phil-kessels-tweet-will-remembered/

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
So joe was asked a question and answered (correctly I might add) but he shouldn't be talking because he hasn't won a Stanley Cup?

Not understanding what one has to do with another.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Don't know if this will carry over to the NHL season, but here's David Backes on Kessel's tweet:

“It’s disappointing. It’s almost to say that we were coasting or don’t care, weren’t representing our countries as well as we could have,†said David Backes, who skated alongside Kessel at the 2010 and 2014 Olympics.

“I understand there’s hard feelings if you weren’t picked for the team or whatever, but the comments are, I think — as a team guy and as a guy that stands by my teammates, win lose or draw — it’s a little distasteful and aggravating. But everyone’s got a Twitter account and you can have freedom of speech to say whatever you want and so be it.

“But those comments don’t get lost in the fray, and those comments are there and have been read and I think will be remembered when whatever happens going forward happens going forward.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/world-cup-of-hockey/usas-backes-phil-kessels-tweet-will-remembered/

Wah.

The guy made a ****ing joke about not being picked for the team. Get over it. I remember when the entire world made fun of Kessel for being the last All Star picked, and Kessel somehow didn't turn into a whiny ninny because of it.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Did Backes actually read the tweet? Because he's reading into things that I don't see.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wah.

The guy made a ****ing joke about not being picked for the team. Get over it. I remember when the entire world made fun of Kessel for being the last All Star picked, and Kessel somehow didn't turn into a whiny ninny because of it.

Even more to the point, if Team USA didn't spit the bit, there wouldn't have been a joke to be made at their expense. If you don't want to hear about it, don't play like a collective bag of **** next time, David. Besides, I took that comment from Kessel as more directed at the coach and Team USA decision makers than a negative comment on that team. I mean seriously. That roster was pathetic. It's all role players and stiffs. Where is the skill?

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Even more to the point, if Team USA didn't spit the bit, there wouldn't have been a joke to be made at their expense. If you don't want to hear about it, don't play like a collective bag of **** next time, David. Besides, I took that comment from Kessel as more directed at the coach and Team USA decision makers than a negative comment on that team. I mean seriously. That roster was pathetic. It's all role players and stiffs. Where is the skill?

It was a comment on not being deemed worthy of being on the team, not a shot at the guys on the team.

And Kessel wasn't chosen long before he had surgery.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
NA impressive, though. They needed to pounce on a team with short rest, and they're doing just that.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
It was a comment on not being deemed worthy of being on the team, not a shot at the guys on the team.

Exactly. Backes sounds like a baby, but he's a Bruin - so it's ok.

Thornton corrctly answered a question he was asked, and he's a loser, overrated, hasn't won anything...just like Backes.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Despite the USA finishing 4th last Olympics, Kessel was named the best forward of the Olympics by the IIHF with 5 goals 3 assists in 8 games. You have to pick that guy

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Breakaway without a penalty (shot)? Impossible :sarcasm:
How they're still getting burned is even more impressive, though.

And a penalty right after

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I loved the tweet. Backes should have let it go. No biggie though it's how humans act. Kessel was hurt I thought and couldn't have played so I was confused at his comment but maybe I had it wrong.

I don't judge people on statements I don't like or there would be no one left and I don't live in a glass house. Still David Backes no need to comment 'why so serious'

Poor Kessel can't even make a freaking joke

I don't blame him and if it offends you take the stick out it your ass and then go get a sense of humor

Kessel was very good for the Bruins in the playoffs

Kessel was very good against the Bruins in the playoffs

Kessel was very good in the Olympics

Kessel was great as Pittsburgh Cup win

USA hockey is a joke

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Lol at the USA deciding it didn't want young talent at this tournament. I wonder if these games were played on a real ice sheet appropriate for elite players and not this joke ass tiny undersized NHL regulation sized garbage the USA would have been this stupid? Probably not.

Glad I took puck line in this game these kids are going to blow them out. Hope they get a shot at Canada in the knockout rounds.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Thornton corrctly answered a question he was asked, and he's a loser, overrated, hasn't won anything...just like Backes.

Yes Thornton hasn't won anything, if you forget the Olympics in 2010, Swiss championship in 2005, Spenger Cup in 2004, the World Cup in 2004, World Jr's in 1997... Nothing was won in professional hockey however

Also, he has shed that whole tin man persona a long time ago for anyone paying attention. Since joining the Sharks he's 8th in playoff scoring and has the same PPG as guys like Toews, Kopitar and Staal in the playoffs.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I loved the tweet. Backes should have let it go. No biggie though it's how humans act. Kessel was hurt I thought and couldn't have played so I was confused at his comment but maybe I had it wrong.

I don't judge people on statements I don't like or there would be no one left and I don't live in a glass house. Still David Backes no need to comment 'why so serious'

I don't blame him and if it offends you take the stick out it your ass and then go get a sense of humor

Dan!

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
Jeez I'm glad we paid all that money for that "stand up" leadership Backes just displayed. The comment was meant for the USA brass for not picking him. Backes shouldn't get his panties in such a bunch, the team sucked. They certainly didn't look like they were busting their *****, that's for certain.

They basically scored 1 goal as a team in the first two games.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Yeah. No use getting offended. But it's very odd if he was/is injured, and wouldn't help his chances in the future much.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Yes Thornton hasn't won anything, if you forget the Olympics in 2010, the World Cup in 2004, World Jr's in 1997...

Also, he has shed that whole tin man persona a long time ago for anyone paying attention. Since joining the Sharks he's 8th in playoff scoring and has the same PPG as guys like Toews, Kopitar and Staal.

Just to be clear, I'm defending Joe.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016

Just like Neely and Bourque his Bruins tenure. The Joe Thornton hate all these years later is truly special.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Lol at Krüger trolling Gibson to think the puck is behind him. Almost worked, but the ref saved them with a not so quick whistle just as he dropped the puck for what would've been an easy goal.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Or better yet maybe Backes can have ONE season of pro hockey where his team doesn't choke/underperform in the playoffs? Phil has a Cup while Backes has choked every year.

I don't mind it though it shows that Backes will be a great fit in terms of 'culture' around here.:laugh: (I really don't mind the fact that my favorite team is a polar opposite of the Edmonton Oilers so long as Krejci and Bergeron are the top centers and I love Backes if hes not in one of those roles and can be 3C or play wing.)

Elite gamebreaking talent was only responsible for 1 of our 16 playoff wins in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad