2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
While the USA team had some really stupid roster decisions, it's still a real good team on paper. I bet you that exact team coached by a competent coach would have done better. A Babcock or Julien would get so much more out of them (just saying hypothetically, I realize they are Canadian). Hell my pick for USA head coach would have been Peter Laviolette and he wasn't even chosen as an assistant! (seriously how stupid is that?)

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Phil Kessel got a lot of deserved criticism for his time in Boston and Toronto. Primarily due to his maturity and work ethic on both ends of the ice.

That said, I also believes players change and mature and Kessel showed up big time in the last half of the season and the playoffs for Pittsburgh. I think he's finally starting to get it.

You can play old tapes and label a player for his entire career for what he's done in the past, or you can look at how he's changed and make a decision for the future. USA Hockey's biggest mistake was dwelling on the past when it comes to Kessel.

Canada had the same issue with Marchand this year and that seemed to work out OK.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
While the USA team had some really stupid roster decisions, it's still a real good team on paper. I bet you that exact team coached by a competent coach would have done better.

I disagree. That team was built with absolutely no identity whatsoever. If you want to go heavy on skill and play like the Russians, fine. Or if you want to load up on sandpaper and play a gritty physical game, I can handle that too.

But USA Hockey decided to split the baby and didn't do either particularly well. Coaching decisions had a lot to do with that as well, but this team wasn't put together with any direction whatsoever.

Our defense corps was always going to be an issue so I don't have any problems with the blueline selections, but our forward selection and the subsequent line combinations where a complete **** show.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
While the USA team had some really stupid roster decisions, it's still a real good team on paper. I bet you that exact team coached by a competent coach would have done better. A Babcock or Julien would get so much more out of them (just saying hypothetically, I realize they are Canadian). Hell my pick for USA head coach would have been Peter Laviolette and he wasn't even chosen as an assistant! (seriously how stupid is that?)

It's a real good team but even on paper I like Canada, Sweden and maybe NA better. I was also shocked Laviolette wasn't there. He was my first thought over Torts.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Also there being a 'North American' team is a big time disadvantage to the USA but is insignificant to Canada.

Also the fact that more than half of team NA are USA players, and that's from a smaller pool of players. USA's future in best on best internationals is very bright. Hope Finland can deliver on what looks promising, and hopefully have Russia, Czechs and especially the Slovaks rebound. Should be interesting to say the least.

he is also one of the bigger money players in the league in the play-offs. Also has 7 more play-off goals in 20 less play-off games than our very own #63, and as many as #37 in 49 less play-off games.

.50 GPG over a decent sample size in the playoffs is insane. Slightly better than Ovechkin (whose sample is twice as big) and Benn (half as big), and three times as high as Seguin's (roughly as big).

Definitely should've won the Conn Smythe, even when considering Crosby's ECF GWGs and all-round game.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I disagree. That team was built with absolutely no identity whatsoever. If you want to go heavy on skill and play like the Russians, fine. Or if you want to load up on sandpaper and play a gritty physical game, I can handle that too.

But USA Hockey decided to split the baby and didn't do either particularly well. Coaching decisions had a lot to do with that as well, but this team wasn't put together with any direction whatsoever.

Our defense corps was always going to be an issue so I don't have any problems with the blueline selections, but our forward selection and the subsequent line combinations where a complete **** show.

As far as defense goes I would have taken Fowler, Shattenkirk and Faulk before either Johnson. I probably would have taken Krug too before either Johnson. And there's no way I would have benched Buff. I don't really like the guy, but there's no doubt he should not have been scratched. At the end of the day, Team USA did not put their best possible team on the ice and it cost them.

I know there was a lot of talk about the 96 team being inspiration but I do believe USA Hockey is hanging on to the Miracle on Ice idea and trying to recapture that. They take Herb Brooks saying "I don't want the best players, I want the right players." but don't account for the fact that those guys had 6 months to play together and gel together and build chemistry. These guys had, what, a week or two? Take your best players.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Does it have to be either or? Where do you place Team Canada and Team Sweden on that scale?

And there's no way I would have benched Buff. I don't really like the guy, but there's no doubt he should not have been scratched. At the end of the day, Team USA did not put their best possible team on the ice and it cost them.

He played last night. Couldn't outmuscle or get good positioning on Duchene on the first goal (somewhat lucky bounce, but that's a common enough play that you should be prepared for it as a D-man) and didn't really convince anyone he would've made a (positive) difference had he played the first game.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Does it have to be either or? Where do you place Team Canada and Team Sweden on that scale?.

No, it doesn't have to be either or. Especially when you have the depth of talent that a team like Canada has. However the US doesn't have that luxury from a talent perspective.

But even Canada, and Sweeden built their teams around a defense first identity. Granted, Canada has enough firepower to get into shootouts with anybody on the planet, but they are set up and play to a system where they take care of business in their own end first and they build their team accordingly leaving guys like Subban and Perry off their initial squads.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
As far as defense goes I would have taken Fowler, Shattenkirk and Faulk before either Johnson. I probably would have taken Krug too before either Johnson. And there's no way I would have benched Buff. I don't really like the guy, but there's no doubt he should not have been scratched. At the end of the day, Team USA did not put their best possible team on the ice and it cost them.

I know there was a lot of talk about the 96 team being inspiration but I do believe USA Hockey is hanging on to the Miracle on Ice idea and trying to recapture that. They take Herb Brooks saying "I don't want the best players, I want the right players." but don't account for the fact that those guys had 6 months to play together and gel together and build chemistry. These guys had, what, a week or two? Take your best players.

Buff showed exactly why he was benched for first game. He was terrible in his own zone last night.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Joe Thornton murders USA Hockey, refuses to let the body be buried.

I am not a fan of the roster that USA Hockey put together, but is this the same Joe Thornton that has never won a damn thing in Pro Hockey (and was never very physical after Lindros knocked him out) taking shots at someone?

Know your role, Joe.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I am not a fan of the roster that USA Hockey put together, but is this the same Joe Thornton that has never won a damn thing in Pro Hockey (and was never very physical after Lindros knocked him out) taking shots at someone?

Know your role, Joe.

I can't believe you showed up to **** over a funny line. So unlike you!

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Know your role, Joe.

I'm not defending Joe but before the game somebody at Sportsnet was interviewing Thornton and asked him what he thought about T.J. Oshie saying that based on skill Team USA doesn't stand a chance against Canada but based on toughness and grit Team USA is better. Thornton just smiled and said something like Team Canada had lots of talent and toughness.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I can't believe you showed up to **** over a funny line. So unlike you!

So unlike you to post something like that. We are what we are I guess?

I'm here most of the time reading, just don't have the energy to battle with people constantly when I know nothing I say is going to change their opinion, right or wrong.

Have a nice day.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
A friend wisely pointed out something to me that has me thinking we should have a new HF Bruins Forum rule:

You can't **** on Joe Thornton if you also talk about how much you love the David Backes signing. SEEMS REASONABLE.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm not defending Joe but before the game somebody at Sportsnet was interviewing Thornton and asked him what he thought about T.J. Oshie saying that based on skill Team USA doesn't stand a chance against Canada but based on toughness and grit Team USA is better. Thornton just smiled and said something like Team Canada had lots of talent and toughness.

T.J Oshie is a pretty tough/gritty player, but maybe he should have said that to his teammates instead of the press? :laugh:

I'm not a fan of athletes talking **** in the media in general whether it's Thornton, Oshie, whomever.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
a disappointing showing for the Americans to be sure, Torts isn't fit to coach the Columbus Blue Jackets led alone Team USA. USA hockey is definitely trending up with guys like Eichel and Mathews (the format for this event hurt them which is a counterintuitive business decision), I am sure they will make adjustments and do alot better next time around.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A friend wisely pointed out something to me that has me thinking we should have a new HF Bruins Forum rule:

You can't **** on Joe Thornton if you also talk about how much you love the David Backes signing. SEEMS REASONABLE.

Not sure what one has to do with the other, but sure...

BTW, I do like (not love) the Backes signing years 1-3, not crazy about years 4 and 5. Pretty sure that the Backes signing will have no affect on my opinion of Thornton.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Totally agree. He's like Mike Keenan, except without the coaching talent.

A+ great comparison.

Columbus employs a lot of people who should not have NHL jobs. Landing spot for people with the right connections.

John Davidson as President is a complete joke no less.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

Was Joe smiling when he shot the puck in his own net?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A+ great comparison.

Columbus employs a lot of people who should not have NHL jobs. Landing spot for people with the right connections.

John Davidson as President is a complete joke no less.

Any more of a joke than Neely as President in Boston?

Nothing against Cam, but their qualifications are about the same, that being a former player and not someone with a extensive education or experience running a business.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

Know your role, Joe.

A couple things.

(1) Joe is right, the Canadian team possesses grit and skill.
(2) Oshie probably shouldn't have said what he said, publicly.

However, you're right, Joe hasn't won a thing. In last year's finals I couldn't comprehend some of the things he did, or didn't do, when his team needed a clutch game or shift. Curling off the play at the wrong time. Pass, pass, pass even when him shooting is the best option.

That's why I laughed when he knocked the puck into his own net last night. Was thinking maybe he would finally realize that if he puts it on net...it might go in.

In short...he was right...and he's overrated.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
A couple things.

(1) Joe is right, the Canadian team possesses grit and skill.
(2) Oshie probably shouldn't have said what he said, publicly.

However, you're right, Joe hasn't won a thing. In last year's finals I couldn't comprehend some of the things he did, or didn't do, when his team needed a clutch game or shift. Curling off the play at the wrong time. Pass, pass, pass even when him shooting is the best option.

That's why I laughed when he knocked the puck into his own net last night. Was thinking maybe he would finally realize that if he puts it on net...it might go in.

In short...he was right...and he's overrated.

That team was toast Joe had a great playoffs up until the finals I wouldn't hold his play in it against him.

Lucky ass Pittsburgh had a tougher opponent in the 1991 Finals when they played the sub .500 Northstars San Jose was that cooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad