2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So the format isn't a gimmick? They mashed together multiple countries to make all star teams to compete against Team Canada and Team USA, and limited who Team USA could select. That literally screams gimmick. Just like it was a gimmick when the NHL tried the Team North America versus Team World in the all star game a while back. Maybe next year they can bring back the Fox Glo-puck for the World Cup. That would be sweet....:laugh:

Rather than create these false teams, why not just let the countries compete on their own merits? How can it be the world cup of hockey, when they've literally taken a steaming **** on the teams that comprise the actual countries of the world?

If they want a fun entertaining event, why not pool all the players from the world and let each team captain draft the guys and throw away the country format altogether? To keep some countries and replace others with what essentially ends up being an all star team with no country affiliation seems so contrived and desperate, even if the hockey itself is entertaining.

I think a big part of it is that they want to it be a rather short tournament given the timing. They don't want a ton of teams to be competing, and it gives the league the chance to put as many good players on as few a teams as possible, yet still have some semblance of "nationalism". Is it the same as the Olympics? No. Hell, is it a lot different than anything we've seen before? Yup. But would I call it a gimmick? Not really. That implies some form of phoniness and I could only agree with that if it seemed like the players weren't involved and didn't care, which I don't see at all.

I, too, don't really have a team I am rooting for (unlike the Olympics, where I'm all USA), but that hasn't made it not entertaining or "gimmick-y" for me. It's a different format, that probably needs to get tweaked, but hey these things are learned.

To me, this is all All-Star Game like lineups, but with players who care. The All-Star Game is gimmicky, but when you've got players who care, it seems very difficult to call a game/tournament gimmick-y. I think that's what we've got here.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think a big part of it is that they want to it be a rather short tournament given the timing. They don't want a ton of teams to be competing, and it gives the league the chance to put as many good players on as few a teams as possible, yet still have some semblance of "nationalism". Is it the same as the Olympics? No. Hell, is it a lot different than anything we've seen before? Yup. But would I call it a gimmick? Not really. That implies some form of phoniness and I could only agree with that if it seemed like the players weren't involved and didn't care, which I don't see at all.

I, too, don't really have a team I am rooting for (unlike the Olympics, where I'm all USA), but that hasn't made it not entertaining or "gimmick-y" for me. It's a different format, that probably needs to get tweaked, but hey these things are learned.

To me, this is all All-Star Game like lineups, but with players who care. The All-Star Game is gimmicky, but when you've got players who care, it seems very difficult to call a game/tournament gimmick-y. I think that's what we've got here.

I get that the league is trying to showcase it's talent, as well as the youth they have that represent the next generation of great players. I really do. I just think the concept is a failure. Some marketing stiffs idea that went unchecked and became a reality when it should have never seen the light of day. If you want Patriotism, you don't get to chose what countries are included. If you want a showcase event, then you eschew the county format and make up several all star teams comprised of players from all over the place. You can't fence sit and want the country pride factor while disregarding some countries in favor of manufactured all star teams. It's just so Bettman-esque...

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm sure people would have a different opinion of this tournament if the USA hadn't gotten their ***** handed to them.

I seriously f-ing hate all the bozo's who have gotten the coaching/gm gigs for this. I'd have more time for the tournament if the GMs and coaches weren't active NHL guys.

That post was innaccurate Draisaitl played for Germany/Europe I guess.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I get that the league is trying to showcase it's talent, as well as the youth they have that represent the next generation of great players. I really do. I just think the concept is a failure. Some marketing stiffs idea that went unchecked and became a reality when it should have never seen the light of day. If you want Patriotism, you don't get to chose what countries are included. If you want a showcase event, then you eschew the county format and make up several all star teams comprised of players from all over the place. You can't fence sit and want the country pride factor while disregarding some countries in favor of manufactured all star teams.

Yeah...I guess considering this was the first time the WCH had been played in...a decade???...they were looking for a way to bring people back into it. Maybe it isn't the best idea. Though, I'm not sure how the bolded idea isn't equally, if not more gimmicky by your standards.

It's a new tournament. Supported by the NHL. Something tells me that there's no real way to hold it without it appearing gimmicky to you, simply because it is a new tournament and it doesn't strictly follow the typical international ways you're used to seeing in the Olympics.

It's not that I don't see what you are saying. It's just that you, the salesman (is that actually what you are? It was tough to tell if you were serious), know that especially with a new product, you have to find good ways to market it. This format which involved countries and continents was meant to touch on the patriotism of the Olympic tournament while also having a very concentrated pool of talent. Is it exactly like the All-star tournament? No. Is it exactly like the Olympics? No. But it's not supposed to be.

It's a new thing. And the players clearly seem to care. Not a gimmick to me.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I really hope Team NA makes it through they are a lot of fun to watch. Good thing Finland borders Russia and will want to win.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I get that the league is trying to showcase it's talent, as well as the youth they have that represent the next generation of great players. I really do. I just think the concept is a failure. Some marketing stiffs idea that went unchecked and became a reality when it should have never seen the light of day. If you want Patriotism, you don't get to chose what countries are included. If you want a showcase event, then you eschew the county format and make up several all star teams comprised of players from all over the place. You can't fence sit and want the country pride factor while disregarding some countries in favor of manufactured all star teams. It's just so Bettman-esque...

I get that you're upset that the USA couldn't use Gaudreau and Eichel, but given how that team was ran there's no guarantee that they would've been picked in the first place:sarcasm:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Mid season form. :laugh:

Why are people so incapable of discussing something that differs from their view here? They tried a new format. Why is that not a valid discussion point?

I mean... if I went into the player discussion thread for someone I thought was disappointing and wrote "There are people who think [x] is good!?", that's a valid discussion point, but I won't expect much from said discussion. :laugh:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah...I guess considering this was the first time the WCH had been played in...a decade???...they were looking for a way to bring people back into it. Maybe it isn't the best idea. Though, I'm not sure how the bolded idea isn't equally, if not more gimmicky by your standards.

It's a new tournament. Supported by the NHL. Something tells me that there's no real way to hold it without it appearing gimmicky to you, simply because it is a new tournament and it doesn't strictly follow the typical international ways you're used to seeing in the Olympics.

It's not that I don't see what you are saying. It's just that you, the salesman (is that actually what you are? It was tough to tell if you were serious), know that especially with a new product, you have to find good ways to market it. This format which involved countries and continents was meant to touch on the patriotism of the Olympic tournament while also having a very concentrated pool of talent. Is it exactly like the All-star tournament? No. Is it exactly like the Olympics? No. But it's not supposed to be.

I agree but I think they need more of a marketing 'gimmick' for choosing team NA.

Something like Canada and the USA put together 1.5 teams/rosters each and then a third of the players from each are chosen in a lottery position by position to make up Team NA.

Would probably just call Europe Slovakia going forward shame they aren't geographically East of Czech Rep and border Germany so that combining them with Germans makes more sense.

What would be bad ass is if they got rid of NA and Europe and had a 6 team tournament and had a team Czechoslovakia.:naughty:

If you ever talk hoops with a Serbian/Croatian/Slovenian/Bosnian person they will all concede that they miss Yugoslavia being one country from a basketball perspective because it was such a basketball powerhouse and the team would be good enough to go head to head with Team USA and would be clear cut #2. And I agree Croatia and Serbia were great at the Olympics both countries outplayed other European hoop nations like Greece and Lithuania.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I was really questioning the whole breaking of tradition by introducing Team North America and Europe to the format, but after the NAT vs SWE game, I'm sold. As long as hockey is played the way it's meant to be played (at 110%, giving everything you have), I'll watch anyone play.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If the tournament was more of a country versus country thing like the Olympics, I may have. I'm not saying it's bad hockey either. I'm just saying that the Team Europe/Team North America thing screams bad gimmick and makes me not have interest. I felt the same way when they did that format for the All Star Game too though...:laugh:

Bettman had a good point last night - the 2 gimmick teams are stronger than had 2 more countries be 7th and 8th.

If any good comes from this Hockey USA has to change.

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
went to one game (Sweden - Russia) got a chance to see Datsuk one last time.. Ovie is always entertaining. Canada tickets are at a premium but going tomorrow to see USA vs Czechoslovakia. Get to watch Backes and Pasta, and some very talented players.
this tournament they look like they care.. unlike the crappy 21 - 18 final scores of all star games. or watching team (one nhl player from that country) get the crap kicked out of them you get to watch some great players.. and the team Europe team give players who couldn't make a decent team from their countries a chance to play. the young team from NA is entertaining to watch. i dont see what the big issue is. some great hockey and hockey talent before the season starts.

sit back and enjoy.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
went to one game (Sweden - Russia) got a chance to see Datsuk one last time.. Ovie is always entertaining. Canada tickets are at a premium but going tomorrow to see USA vs Czechoslovakia. Get to watch Backes and Pasta, and some very talented players.
this tournament they look like they care.. unlike the crappy 21 - 18 final scores of all star games. or watching team (one nhl player from that country) get the crap kicked out of them you get to watch some great players.. and the team Europe team give players who couldn't make a decent team from their countries a chance to play. the young team from NA is entertaining to watch. i dont see what the big issue is. some great hockey and hockey talent before the season starts.

sit back and enjoy.

Exactly.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Pierre LeBrun and Darren Dreger were saying the other day that even though this Team North America thing has been fun to watch these you guys that can skate, they think the Europe and NA teams are one and done and the next world Cup in 2020 will go back to the top 8 countries.

Personally I would like to see it go back to the old Canada Cup format where the top 6 teams, Canada, USA, Russia, Czech Rep., Sweden and Finland all played a round robin format playing each team once and the top 4 go to the semi-finals, then the two winners meet in a best of 3 finals.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Personally I find watching team NA and team Europe to be much more entertaining than watching Germany or Belarus get slaughtered by teams way outside of their skill level. I gotta hand it to the organizers, this has been very fun to watch.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Oh it is and would be. But here's the thing. You can't try to hold onto tradition and insert a gimmick. Either go all in for the gimmick or don't. The halfway is what bothers me. Embrace it or don't bother. :laugh:

And yes, I've been in technology sales for over 20 years now.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Oh it is and would be. But here's the thing. You can't try to hold onto tradition and insert a gimmick. Either go all in for the gimmick or don't. The halfway is what bothers me. Embrace it or don't bother. :laugh:

And yes, I've been in technology sales for over 20 years now.

What's wrong with gimmicks?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I can't wait until this gimmicky hockey tournament is over so we can watch some real exciting NHL (dump and chase, circle, circle, trap, trap) hockey again.:sarcasm:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I can't wait until this gimmicky hockey tournament is over so we can watch some real exciting NHL (dump and chase, circle, circle, trap, trap) hockey again.:sarcasm:

It's funny as the Canadian Commentators mentioned last night how they've noticed a drastic reduction in the amount of dump ins, whether it be for line changes or to create offense.

D are controlling the puck while forward lines change more often.

Forwards are carrying the puck over the blue-line more to gain entry.

Why give up possession of the puck if you don't have to?

Now granted the skill-level of the guys in this tournament are as good as it gets.

Will be interesting to see if we see any sort of reduction in dump-ins during NHL games moving forward.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Personally I find watching team NA and team Europe to be much more entertaining than watching Germany or Belarus get slaughtered by teams way outside of their skill level. I gotta hand it to the organizers, this has been very fun to watch.

Agreed. It's exciting hockey. Some folks are just to "old school" & snicker at any changes, wether good or bad.

I've got tix to Saturday semi final game. I'm excited to watch some entertaining hockey. I hope they keep this format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad