2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
My takeaway from this tournament is that Marchand and Bergeron are as good as any players on the planet.

I don't think they get enough credit for that. Maybe Bergeron does, but certainly not Marchand.

I know people look at the gawdy stats other guys put up and say we don't have talent like that but.. I think ice time, power play time and usage (dZone starts, matchups against top lines) maybe deflate their numbers some.

Watching this tournament I have a hard time saying anyone short of maybe McDavid has looked better.

Agreed. They are playing on the top line for the best team on the planet assembled right now, that should tell all of us something.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
SO did Jacobs blackout the WCOH so Bruins fans wouldn't see this type of hockey before the season starts?:sarcasm:

Bruins have looked well (outside of Pastrnak who looks lost or no clear direction) on their teams and the North America vs. Russia game was amazing to watch.

What is going on with him? Hoping it's just being overwhelmed by the level of competition but he looks terrible. I don't think Backes has looked that good other than his hitting to be honest.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That I agree with, however did they even have the ability to select guys like Johnny Hockey or Eichel?

No, but they could of chosen Kessel before he was injured. Say what you want about the guy, but whether it was in the playoffs (even before his Pittsburgh run) or the Sochi Olympics, guy is money in games that matter.

Tyler Johnson a year ago was TB's best player until he hurt his wrist during their run to the finals.

When you focused on the Abdelkaders and Dubinsky's of the world over high-end talents like Kessel, Johnson, etc. your not thinking big picture. You need a balance of those big gritty types, and world-class skill.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
That I agree with, however did they even have the ability to select guys like Johnny Hockey or Eichel?

No, players for the US and Canada had to be 24 or older.

BUT, they did have the ability to select Phil Kessel.

They had the ability to select Tyler Johnson and Kyle Okposo... or any American defenseman not named Jack Johnson. i.e. Faulk, Fowler, Shattenkirk...

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
No, players for the US and Canada had to be 24 or older.

BUT, they did have the ability to select Phil Kessel.

They had the ability to select Tyler Johnson and Kyle Okposo... or any American defenseman not named Jack Johnson. i.e. Faulk, Fowler, Shattenkirk...

Not taking Kessel was just so Tortorella. I love the guy's entertainment value, but I really question whether he's the right guy for that job. Say what you want about Kessel but he's arguably the second most talented American forward in the NHL behind Kane. Choosing a guy like Abdelkader or JVR over him is ludicrous IMO. Too much overthinking and ego if you ask me.

Of course on the Canadian side, some of those D-men over Subban is equally if not more questionable.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I don't understand how it restricts Duchene from participating.

I would have thought it opened doors for younger players... Not the opposite.

Yeah, both for older and younger players. The losers would be all the Slovenians not named Anze Kopitar, all the Norwegians not named Zuccarello, etc.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Rask screened by Granlund, leads to crossbar snipe by Bäckström

Sweden lucky that was Komarov with that chance :laugh:

Roflmao Koivu. 3 on 1 and he just skates into Erik Karlsson. No idea how Sweden didn't get a 4 on 2 the other way afterwards. Backchecked too hard, I guess.

Good period for Finland. Or bad for Sweden. Or both. Slight advantage Finland on scoring opportunities.

Pretty boring game, overall. Needs something...

Last edited:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Tuukka had no shot with that - great passing by the twins to set it up.

Yeah, not on Rask at all. He's been much better than Rinne was.

Strålman is really sneaky good at quietly getting in position in front of the net. Picked it up from Hedman? Can't remember him doing it all too often with the Rags.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Robbery by Rask!

Okay, great save at least. :)

Finland with what seems like 20 straight faceoff wins. Very important, since Sweden was buzzing for some time after scoring.

Last edited:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Lundqvist robs Laine. Henrik is almost twice as old, but Laine's hairline is four times as receded.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I like that Tuukka is getting in good repa before the season starts and against wuality opposition is only going to be a good thing. Lets hope hebstarts October like he plays in November.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Tuuks had a really good game - great to see. Definitely earned another start again Russia. He's had a slow start the last two years so hopefully this tournament will get the rust out before the Bruins play.

Rinne is awful.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Went to the 2 games on Saturday, it was a blast. Hockey Heaven. There must be 100 different Canada Jerseys. Standing at the corner of Front & York Streets going to the afternoon game, there was a Flyers Jersey, 2 Rangers, 2 Islanders, a Leafs and 2 USA Jerseys. Like Hockey Halloween.

USA was very disappointing. Europe's short/misdirect passing game killed them. Not enough pressure from US. They allowed Team Europe to fully exploit their superior puck skills.

The Big Man's demise has been greatly exaggerated. He did not play on the power play, though. Ditto Seids.

Canada was overpowering. Bergeron & Marchand were excellent, but Crosby put on a clinic.

Got to shake hands with Phil Esposito. Firm hand shake, but no Gordie Howe. Then again, Espo didn't elbow me.

Biggest surprise to me so far is the under 24 team. Never thought they could play that well defensively, especially the forwards. Matthews looks to have a great 2 way game and he hasn't played an NHL game yet. McDavid and MacKinnon and Eichel could all be super stars for years.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My takeaway from this tournament is that Marchand and Bergeron are as good as any players on the planet.

I don't think they get enough credit for that. Maybe Bergeron does, but certainly not Marchand.

I know people look at the gawdy stats other guys put up and say we don't have talent like that but.. I think ice time, power play time and usage (dZone starts, matchups against top lines) maybe deflate their numbers some.

Watching this tournament I have a hard time saying anyone short of maybe McDavid has looked better.

Great post

I think some folks are surprised at how good Brad Marchand really is I am proud of him. Brad has to be feeling good about his play.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Sure, it decreases their individual stat lines, but the Bruins are a far better team because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad