2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yep. 6'3" C, who seems to be moving up the various draft ranking charts. Don't know that I'd take him as high as 2nd, but if we end up picking 3-5th, I'd seriously consider him.

Aye. I'd definitely take him before Crychrun or Tkachuk. Let's see how the rest of the season shakes out. There's some good talent in the first 7 picks, which is where we are most likely to pick.

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
PMD
Tkachuk
Crychrun
Juolevi
etc.

It'll be interesting to see what the final draft table looks like.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Agree that it's going to be interesting, Corgis. Unfortunately, I think I've figured out why we shouldn't draft Pierre-Luc Dubois if he's on the board - Beyak. :sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
anyone worried about Matthews as a #1 pick?

No I am more enthusiastic than ever. Not only is he the best player available but he is going to be a legit top level number 1 Centre and it's not going to take him long to get there. That fills an organizational need for us. He is NHL ready now and he will make our team better next season. With him I believe we have the base around our young core to be a contender for the cup within two seasons.

I am too excited about the chances and draft day is going to be disssapoinitng to me when we lack the Oiler luck.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
IIRC, I centered Sveshnikov and Dubois in my NHl 16 career during my draft season :laugh:

Great, now we know why their scoring is so inflated!

As for picking top 6-7 I'll be honest I'm sceptical of chychrun being the best dman in this draft class.

I'm also suspect of pool party over PLD. I'd have a difficult time splitting the two at three and am currently leaning to PLD.

Its not that I don't think chych is good, its that there's some really nice unheralded dmen that I think are not far off from chych and would be available much later.

Conversely I'm not sure we can make up the same ground on forwards available from 25-35

Right now I'd love to end up with Mathews Laine or PLD, and grab 2 dmen with our 25-35 picks (Green, Dineen, Lajoi, Allard)

If we end up with one of the higher D (chych, juolvi, sergachyev), I'd hope we can get a guy like Pascal Laberg with one of those later picks and maybe another one of those D.

Im really torn on ktchuk. He's scoring AMAZINGLY but with his linemates and underlying numbers its pretty worrying. I think I'd probably risk the other top 4 forwards and maybe even the top 3 D before him.

Also not sold on Nylander. More to do with the strength of forward cores in previous years but I'd be disappointed with a player of his calibre in the top ten after the steals we've pulled over the last two drafts.

Essentially I'd like to walk away with our best prospect from the worst season, not a guy that projects below 2 players weve already grabbed (Ehlers and Connor)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Right now I am at:

Matthews
Laine
Pul
PLD/Chych (this would be a tough call IMO)
Tkachuk

I really think we're going to be in the top 6 and get one of these guys.

I knew that Hatcher has had Chych playing a more defensive first game, but I didn't know that Chych had a shoulder injury at the start of the season and may just be getting to full health. This is where scouts earn their $, determining how much those two factors have affected his year. If he's still thought of as a franchise D, that's tough to pass up at 4 or 5.

Brock (The OHL blogger) has Chych at #1 from the OHL in a midseason scout poll:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

As for picking top 6-7 I'll be honest I'm sceptical of chychrun being the best dman in this draft class.

I'm also suspect of pool party over PLD. I'd have a difficult time splitting the two at three and am currently leaning to PLD.

Its not that I don't think chych is good, its that there's some really nice unheralded dmen that I think are not far off from chych and would be available much later.

Conversely I'm not sure we can make up the same ground on forwards available from 25-35

Right now I'd love to end up with Mathews Laine or PLD, and grab 2 dmen with our 25-35 picks (Green, Dineen, Lajoi, Allard)

If we end up with one of the higher D (chych, juolvi, sergachyev), I'd hope we can get a guy like Pascal Laberg with one of those later picks and maybe another one of those D.

Im really torn on ktchuk. He's scoring AMAZINGLY but with his linemates and underlying numbers its pretty worrying. I think I'd probably risk the other top 4 forwards and maybe even the top 3 D before him.

Also not sold on Nylander. More to do with the strength of forward cores in previous years but I'd be disappointed with a player of his calibre in the top ten after the steals we've pulled over the last two drafts.

Essentially I'd like to walk away with our best prospect from the worst season, not a guy that projects below 2 players weve already grabbed (Ehlers and Connor)

Pool party is a fantastic nickname for Puljujarvi.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This is a really good point. It would feel flat given the actual tank we have going on. I think its why I have mixed emotions right now. Last year we made the playoffs but didn't have to pay the price at the draft (Kyle Connor), this year my fear is we pay the price to tank but don't really get rewarded.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Scenario time

We Draft 1st - Matthews
We Draft 2nd - Laine
We Draft 3rd - Puljujarvi
We Draft 4th - 6th - One of PLD/Chychrun/Tkachuk

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
You guys think there's a chance Puljujarvi drops out of the top 3 with PLD rising and then someone maybe being high on Chychrun?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
You guys think there's a chance Puljujarvi drops out of the top 3 with PLD rising and then someone maybe being high on Chychrun?

would not be surprised.

If PLD keeps it up and say, takes his team on a mem cup run, i wouldn't be suprised to see him pass Poolparty (i saw PS use this and loved it, because it means i don't have to fail at spelling Puljujarvi).

That and my firm believe that "the Best Dman" in the draft class always gets an arbitrary bump simply for being the top Dman (Ie: may be the 8th best player, but since hes' the top dman, he'll go 5th). Similarly if he ends up having some big games in the P/O's.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here are teams with 2 picks in the first round this year and their current position in the draft:

Maple Leafs: 2, 16* (PIT)
Flames: 3, 29* (DAL)
Jets: 4, 28 (CHI)
Coyotes: 8, 24* (NYR)
Hurricanes: 13, 25 (LAK)
Bruins: 17 (SJS), 23

* = Conditional (PIT must qualify for playoffs; NYR lottery protected; DAL must qualify for WCF)

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is a really good point. It would feel flat given the actual tank we have going on. I think its why I have mixed emotions right now. Last year we made the playoffs but didn't have to pay the price at the draft (Kyle Connor), this year my fear is we pay the price to tank but don't really get rewarded.

Precisely my feelings on this. It will feel like we got cheated. But on the flip side, that really goes to show how fortunate we've been in drafts prior. Landing talents like we have mid round is really quite impressive.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I've put together my top 10 list for this draft:

Auston Matthews
Patrik Laine
Jesse Puljujarvi
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Olli Juolevi

Matthew Tkachuk
Jake Bean
Jacob Chychrun
Alexander Nylander
Mikhail Sergachev

Does this seem close? or am I way off?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've put together my top 10 list for this draft:

Auston Matthews
Patrik Laine
Jesse Puljujarvi
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Olli Juolevi

Matthew Tkachuk
Jake Bean
Jacob Chychrun
Alexander Nylander
Mikhail Sergachev

Does this seem close? or am I way off?

Bean is far too high. I think Chychrun is better than Juolevi but I don't think it's too significant.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
would not be surprised.

If PLD keeps it up and say, takes his team on a mem cup run, i wouldn't be suprised to see him pass Poolparty (i saw PS use this and loved it, because it means i don't have to fail at spelling Puljujarvi).

That and my firm believe that "the Best Dman" in the draft class always gets an arbitrary bump simply for being the top Dman (Ie: may be the 8th best player, but since hes' the top dman, he'll go 5th). Similarly if he ends up having some big games in the P/O's.

Glad I'm not the only one starting to get that sense. Seems to happen with late risers and top defenseman.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Unless we win the lottery I feel like it is going to be between Dubois and Chychrun. And if we take Dubois we better take a Dman with CHI 1st.

Last edited:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I don't like what I've seen in Pul compared to some of the other guys, I'd have him at 4-5. But I haven't seen him as much as the people who put him at 2-3, so I have no idea.

I really like Laine.

Imagine we got Mathews. Turn this team around just like that. Another trade involving some of our younger talent and/or picks and we're a completely new team next year. And add Connor as well.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm really hoping for a C or D in this draft. Most of the higher ranked guys are wingers so I wouldn't be disappointed finishing somewhere in the 5-8 range. Guys like Chychrun, Juolevi, and Sergachev are players I would like to have on the Jets. Maybe Dubois is available there as well but I'm not too sure, his stock seems to be rising pretty quickly since the top prospects game.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm really hoping for a C or D in this draft. Most of the higher ranked guys are wingers so I wouldn't be disappointed finishing somewhere in the 5-8 range. Guys like Chychrun, Juolevi, and Sergachev are players I would like to have on the Jets. Maybe Dubois is available there as well but I'm not too sure, his stock seems to be rising pretty quickly since the top prospects game.

There's a pretty good chance all three of those guys become NHL defenseman at the least. Will be interesting to see which one of them the Jets favor of we take one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad