2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would say the most important position is G.

I also think you are underrating the Jets at C. We have 1a, 1b with Little & Scheif though neither is an 'elite' 1C. Then we have Perreault, Lowry, Burmi and Copp.

That said we could certainly use an upgrade at 1C. If we have Bryan Little playing 3C in a couple of years C is a strength.

I think if we draft in the first 3 the choice makes itself. If we are 4 it gets tougher. Is PLD going to be that elite level 1C? Is one of the D going to develop into a true #1? If we are 6 or lower PLD may be gone and the D are definitely the way to go.
There is no guarantee that MP will be here beyond next year. Little will be a UFA the following year. That makes it a position of concern.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Always need more Cs.

This. Virtually every C is a capable winger but the opposite is usually not true.
Little is a 2C on pretty much every contender without question or likely pushed to the wing on others. Sheifele is a great 2C. If anything we have 2 very good 2Cs that are capable 1Cs. Will PLD be that guy? Hard to say. But he plays well enough at this point to take a shot.
The only guys I will be disappointed with us taking if we have a top 10 pick is Tkachuk or McLeod.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Could he have 1B upside, I wonder? Would two 1B's (Scheif and Dubois) be enough to offset not having an "elite" 1C?

Thinking about it another way: if we had Couturier and Scheifele splitting duties as 1B's (different deployments), would this be enough to move us into a position to compete with the big dogs?

Just ruminating...

I realize that BPA is probably the way to go, just hoping if we don't get one of the top 3, we go for the best D or C prospect available (positions of greatest need down the road for sure)

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Unless the winger is indisputably BPA by quite a bit, we really need a C or D more than high end wingers in the system.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is no guarantee that MP will be here beyond next year. Little will be a UFA the following year. That makes it a position of concern.

Possibly. It certainly should be on the radar. I don't think it is as likely a problem as LHD where we are already thin and can expect Toby to decline about the same time his contract expires. He only needs to lose a half step to become ineffective. He can't compensate for slow feet with his great size.

I expect both MP and Little to be re-signed but you never know. I don't expect more than another 3 years from MP (4 from now that is). His small frame takes quite a beating. Little is less of a concern that way but he will have to drop down the depth chart.

There are no easy solutions. We can only fix one problem by neglecting another.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I would say the most important position is G.

I also think you are underrating the Jets at C. We have 1a, 1b with Little & Scheif though neither is an 'elite' 1C. Then we have Perreault, Lowry, Burmi and Copp.

That said we could certainly use an upgrade at 1C. If we have Bryan Little playing 3C in a couple of years C is a strength.

I think if we draft in the first 3 the choice makes itself. If we are 4 it gets tougher. Is PLD going to be that elite level 1C? Is one of the D going to develop into a true #1? If we are 6 or lower PLD may be gone and the D are definitely the way to go.

Thats a good point. As much as I go on about needing an elite C, there is a very good argument to be made for a balanced offence. Countless times I've watched the Pens and thought....man, if they didnt have 20M tied up in two centers maybe they could balance out this team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So interesting the gang over at Hockey Prospects has PLD up to #4 on their rankings.

The first change on the new list is Pierre-Luc Dubois jumping from 6th overall last month to 4th overall this time around. HockeyProspect.com’s Mark Edwards on Dubois’ rise. “I saw him a couple more times since our last ranking, he continues to impress both myself and our QMJHL based scout Jerome Berube. I also went back and watched his points from all his games going back into mid November. It was impressive to watch.” Edwards feels that Dubois is one of the more ‘NHL ready’ players in this year’s draft class. “When he’s physically ready he will make the jump, because I think other than getting a bit stronger, he could play tomorrow.”

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-hockeyprospect-com-february-top-60-rankings/

Last edited:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
So interesting the gang over at Hockey Prospects up to #4 on their rankings.

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-hockeyprospect-com-february-top-60-rankings/

I hereby take full credit for all increasing interest and love of PLD.

Really though, he was a guy that when i first saw his location on scouting lists my jaw dropped. His pace crazy, his size is good, he's convertable to C. What's not to love?

The only downside i know of is that he's playing with Evgeni Svechnikov, so there may be a flag as to who's the driver there but if i understand correctly he appears to be it

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Interesting video of Dubois - I've been trying to find some games online to watch something other than highlights, and I found this "iso" of him. It's basically just video of only his shifts so you can concentrate on his play during the game:

Seems to have pretty good situational awareness, and definitely likes to sit "high" in the d-zone, like many junior level "aces" do. Scheif used to do this a LOT with Barrie when I watched him. Doesn't seem to mind the physical stuff (shouldn't, given his size), covers a lot of ground while not looking like he's that fast, and seems to have good hands and vision.

Anyway: thought the vid might be interesting for those that haven't seen it.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Interesting video of Dubois - I've been trying to find some games online to watch something other than highlights, and I found this "iso" of him. It's basically just video of only his shifts so you can concentrate on his play during the game:

Seems to have pretty good situational awareness, and definitely likes to sit "high" in the d-zone, like many junior level "aces" do. Scheif used to do this a LOT with Barrie when I watched him. Doesn't seem to mind the physical stuff (shouldn't, given his size), covers a lot of ground while not looking like he's that fast, and seems to have good hands and vision.

Pffft. I dont watch hockey, just stats!

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk

Thanks! I love these "iso" videos. Best bang for your buck for learning about prospects in my opinion.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just reading briefly on Dubois and how much time he's been playing center. It looks like he was playing center for all but 2 games in February, does anyone know how much center he was playing before February, if any?

Also I'm curious to know if Clayton Keller has been playing center for all his games or not.

Anyone got any insight on this? Thanks!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
CcXKREIUUAAcTD5.jpg

Hey Garret do you think you could tell me what Nolan Patrick's Adj PTS/GP in his draft-1 year are? or how to figure it out with WHL players?

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Dubois is a C? For some reason I under the impression that he was like a 5'10 170 lbs winger. Looks like he has the size, the scoring and the plays a critical position. What's not to like? I still would take Laine 2nd overall though, that guy is producing at Barkov level lately

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If the Jets picked 5th or lower, I would hope for Dubois, maybe even at 4, but it would be tough to give up Chychrun at 4 if that's where we pick.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Dubois is a C? For some reason I under the impression that he was like a 5'10 170 lbs winger. Looks like he has the size, the scoring and the plays a critical position. What's not to like? I still would take Laine 2nd overall though, that guy is producing at Barkov level lately

Yep. 6'3" C, who seems to be moving up the various draft ranking charts. Don't know that I'd take him as high as 2nd, but if we end up picking 3-5th, I'd seriously consider him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad