2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Depending on where we pick I wouldn't mind Dubois. He's big and possibly ready for the NHL game already. I really liked him in the top prospects game as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why did the Panthers have to buy PCS :(

Why doesn't someone recreate it?

Yeah it's just using information already available to the public. They can't really copyright it can they?

All you need to do is gather the same information and just call it something different and as long as you make it free to the public they can't do anything I don't think.

Edit: Just saw your post above Garret. That is awesome!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yeah it's just using information already available to the public. They can't really copyright it can they?

All you need to do is gather the same information and just call it something different and as long as you make it free to the public they can't do anything I don't think.

It's the database, algorithms, and the coding that's the issue.

I helped out with the project a little bit, so I got some of the stuff... but there's a lot that Weissbock did that I don't know. Like some of their adjustments for QoT, QoC, etc.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I helped out with the project a little bit, so I got some of the stuff... but there's a lot that Weissbock did that I don't know. Like some of their adjustments for QoT, QoC, etc.

Wish I had the knowledge to help. Would be a fun project to work on.
It's to bad Weissbock can't just send you an anonymous tip, but I imagine the Panthers have him on 24 hour surveillance. :sarcasm:
Hockey secrets.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Wish I had the knowledge to help. Would be a fun project to work on.
It's to bad Weissbock can't just send you an anonymous tip, but I imagine the Panthers have him on 24 hour surveillance. :sarcasm:
Hockey secrets.

Hahaha. I'm texting him right now about a meetup for lunch. But ya, he can't sneak me something to potentially lose his job.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
On McKenzie's NHL Draft special the listed comparable for Chychrun was none other than.... Zach Bogosian.

I've been saying for some time now that Chychrun does have a bit of a Bogosian vibe to him.

Not saying that's a terrible thing, but one would hope for something more from him if taken at say #4.

If his offense doesn't develop further and translste at the NHL level, he will be comparable to Bogosian in many ways.

Having said all that, maybe he does develop into a true #1 that most believe he can become.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
The key difference will be Chychrun's hockey IQ. Bogosian ended up lacking but had everything else you could want.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm not huge on Chychrun to be honest. (oops typo)

I mean I think he could be the best D on this draft, but there are quite a few D last year I liked more....

Last edited:

Dhors

Oct 23, 2015
Halifax
I'm not huge on Chuchrun to be honest.

I mean I think he could be the best D on this draft, but there are quite a few D last year I liked more....

I'm with you on this, if we drafted him I wouldn't be super disappointed or anything, but I am also not overly hyped about him either. More hyped about the top offensive talent in this years draft. Glad to see PLD climbed up the TSN draft list to #8!

If we drafted 2nd I would have no idea who to take between Puljujarvi or Laine...I myself usually prefer the more complete player ie: Puljujarvi...but can't deny that Finnish :naughty: of Laine!

Interesting that Bean is ranked ahead of Sergachev...I do agree with them in liking Juolevi better though. I just like his skillset better than Sergachev's, even if Serg has been beastly as of late. My friend from Calgary did mention that Bean has been outstanding for the Hitmen though so perhaps there's something to that.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Come help us!

Were working on updating some things and have some other irons I. The fire as well.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Bean is a great offensive guy, I think he has some warts though. Is he more of a Justin Schultz or is he more like Morgan Reilly?

I am kind of coming around on Sergachev more and more. I like him better then Juolevi who I think will end up being nothing more than a number 4 guy.

I am also not sold on Dubois being a high end prospect, I think he is safe but I think he tops out as a good 2nd line player, he reminds a bit of Lazar.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am not all that excited by this draft apart from Matthews. I always want franchise C or D with a top pick, but that isn't really an option beyond Matthews here.

If they end up with a winger - a part from the Finns - it'll be the third best young winger in their system behind Ehlers and Connor. While that's nice, I want franchise cornerstones.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am not all that excited by this draft apart from Matthews. I always want franchise C or D with a top pick, but that isn't really an option beyond Matthews here.

If they end up with a winger - a part from the Finns - it'll be the third best young winger in their system behind Ehlers and Connor. While that's nice, I want franchise cornerstones.

I think a lot of people are undervaluing Nylander in this draft. Kid has near identical tools to Ehlers IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Uh. It doesn't say no. It says that those are the results in those areas that those two get.

From that own website:

Why you want one over the other is based on multiple things, which includes those values but not exclusive to those values.

Based on what's there you can't make a case for Doughty over Karlsson. If someone wants to introduce more data they might come to a different conclusion.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Based on what's there you can't make a case for Doughty over Karlsson. If someone wants to introduce more data they might come to a different conclusion.

well if you wanted to choose a Dman who could carry 5 ****** dmen and a horrid bottom 6 to playoffs I would easily choose Karlsson

he doesn't pk tho :rolleyes:

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg

Yeah I hear you. Really would be nice to get a potential elite centre or D-man over a winger if we find ourselves with a top 5 pick.

What I'm hoping is we have the 5th pick or so and take Chychrun and it turns out he was just having an off year due to recovering from his shoulder injury over the off-season plus having his offensive numbers down due to the system Sarnia has with him playing a more defensively responsible role (Dunno the truth of this, just what I've read).

Then comes out guns blazing the next season and everyone wonders why he slipped to us. :nod:

Or just win the Matthews lotto.

Something like that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
While you could be right about the tools, Ehlers paced about 20% higher in age, era, and league adjusted scoring.

Yeah he definitely isn't scoring as much but you can see that raw speed, creative hands and quick thinking that Ehlers has. They look so much alike on the ice. I think he'll be a bit longer of a development curve but he will get there eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad