2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Apparently pronmans list is out and he's got Laine as a contender for #1.

Looks like he's generating over 6 shots a game which is CRAZY in any league.

If Laine's really that good it will make having 2nd-5th pick a fair bit more bearable.

A couple lists now have Laine ahead. Some question regarding Matthew's performance in big games; that's the only negative I've heard regarding him.

Pronman's list is interesting. The most notable thing that jumps off the page is Clayton Keller at #4 behind the big 3:

Keller's production for the USA under-18 team can be ranked with the all-time greats like Matthews, Eichel, Phil Kessel and Patrick Kane. He has been great during USHL and college games he has taken part in for the NTDP, and should contend for the top player award at the upcoming five nations under-18 tournament. Keller is a dynamic scorer with top-end skating and skill on top of being an excellent passer

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Pronman's list is interesting. The most notable thing that jumps off the page is Clayton Keller at #4 behind the big 3:

Yikes on par with Kessel maybe but he isn't even sniffing Eichel let alone Kane and Matthews.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Keller is like this year's Sprong. Pronman will rate him higher than just about everyone else. BTW I liked Sprong at the draft and thought we should hav3 picked him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Chychrun should be the first D taken & there are several teams in need of D, but I still have this feeling that he might easily slip on draft day & land out of the top 5.

For sure, I could see that too. Chychrun seems like an interesting case to me as someone who doesn't get to watch his games.

He is a man child physically. Tested off the charts. And his numbers last year were stellar for his age. So justifiably he was in talks for 1 or 2 with Matthews.

You look at his numbers this year, and it seems like some posters are making the argument that he's not progressing. And myself, without being able to watch, it's hard to know if that's true. But I'm reading some other posts, from people who are posting more detail and thought, and they are posting that his game has changed this year, and that's on the direction of his coach (Hatcher). Where he might have had the perpetual green light last year, possibly this year that's not the case and he has to take care of his own end.

That's why I find him really interesting and I think it will be interesting to see where he goes. Do scouts think this past year is showing concerns on his progression, or do scouts feel like he is just doing what his coach is asking, and he still has the offensive potential to go along with the size and skating?

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
He also didn't get in his proper off-season training due to recovering from his shoulder surgery right? I also hear people say he's less aggressive than he was last year and I wonder if it's because he's worried about his shoulder.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Would really like a top 5 pick this year.

Not a deep draft by most accounts, and picking beyond 7 or 8 will be a bigger crap shoot than normal, imo.

Take a solid guy in top 5 and if we have another 1st (from trade), maybe package that up with prospects for an immediate impact guy. Preferably, a Dman.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Were doing a site overhaul ATM but should have some updated lists and tools for the end of the season.

Once we've. Got that going expect this board to be flooded with stuff from us

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
For sure, I could see that too. Chychrun seems like an interesting case to me as someone who doesn't get to watch his games.

He is a man child physically. Tested off the charts. And his numbers last year were stellar for his age. So justifiably he was in talks for 1 or 2 with Matthews.

You look at his numbers this year, and it seems like some posters are making the argument that he's not progressing. And myself, without being able to watch, it's hard to know if that's true. But I'm reading some other posts, from people who are posting more detail and thought, and they are posting that his game has changed this year, and that's on the direction of his coach (Hatcher). Where he might have had the perpetual green light last year, possibly this year that's not the case and he has to take care of his own end.

That's why I find him really interesting and I think it will be interesting to see where he goes. Do scouts think this past year is showing concerns on his progression, or do scouts feel like he is just doing what his coach is asking, and he still has the offensive potential to go along with the size and skating?

You sum up exactly how I feel. Just based on reports from posters who watch Chychrun, he scares me, but then again he could be a stud defenseman on the left side for years to come.

The fact it appears his offense has stagnated, he reminds me of Bogosian. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, there could be a much better player selected that high.

Now suppose the jets select 4th and Matthews and the Finns are gone do you take Dubois or Chychrun?

Isn't there good enough quality defense available later in the first round should the Jets have an additional pick from any potential Ladd trade?

Not that it matters because we'll shock everybody when we win the 1st overall lottery!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You sum up exactly how I feel. Just based on reports from posters who watch Chychrun, he scares me, but then again he could be a stud defenseman on the left side for years to come.

The fact it appears his offense has stagnated, he reminds me of Bogosian. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, there could be a much better player selected that high.

Now suppose the jets select 4th and Matthews and the Finns are gone do you take Dubois or Chychrun?

Isn't there good enough quality defense available later in the first round should the Jets have an additional pick from any potential Ladd trade?

Not that it matters because we'll shock everybody when we win the 1st overall lottery!

Pick 5 to 10, assuming AM, Laine, Pulji, and Tkachuk are gone I see the Jets taking one of the big three dmen, whoever they rank higher of Chych, Juloevi or the Russian monster.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'd prefer duobois just because I still don't trust high ranking dmen.

Yeah, I think I'd rather have have Dubois, Mcleod, or Tkachuk and then gamble on a defenseman like Day, Clague, Green or Stanley if they get a second 1st through a Ladd trade.

Ideally they'd be picking in that 7-10 slot and grab the defenseman they like best, but at say #4, I'm a bit leery of any of the top 3 defensemen.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
At this point I still take Chych over Tkachuk. He's starting to become overrated for me.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
On thing about Chych's scoring last year was how high his G/GP was relative to his A/GP. It makes me wonder if there was some sh% spike unlikely to last, which would explain why many are thinking he isn't progressing as much due to having ungrounded expectations.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
On thing about Chych's scoring last year was how high his G/GP was relative to his A/GP. It makes me wonder if there was some sh% spike unlikely to last, which would explain why many are thinking he isn't progressing as much due to having ungrounded expectations.

Like Morrissey in his draft +1 with so many goals. I think WOWO Leon has had a massive impact on his scoring as well.

clubkid75

Feb 7, 2016
Jets will draft if they get this pick:

1st pick--Matthews
2nd--Puljujarvi
3rd--Laine
4th--Tkachuk
5th--Chychrun
6th--Nylander
7th--Sergachev, Bean, Fabbro or Juolevi

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

1st pick--Matthews
2nd--Puljujarvi
3rd--Laine
4th--Tkachuk
5th--Chychrun
6th--Nylander

We know this how exactly?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

1st pick--Matthews
2nd--Puljujarvi
3rd--Laine
4th--Tkachuk
5th--Chychrun
6th--Nylander

I really hope the Jets don't draft Tkachuk ahead of Chych, Nylander or maybe even Sergachev at this point.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone watch Chych regularly? Why has his stock actually fallen? Or is it that the forwards really gained their stock cause of World Jrs. This guy will be a very good top 4 D.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Anyone watch Chych regularly? Why has his stock actually fallen? Or is it that the forwards really gained their stock cause of World Jrs. This guy will be a very good top 4 D.

Well you hope for more then top 4 at fourth overall.

As Garrett stated his scoring has dropped, likely due to him scoring s while ehack if goals last year which was unsustainable.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Well you hope for more then top 4 at fourth overall.

As Garrett stated his scoring has dropped, likely due to him scoring s while ehack if goals last year which was unsustainable.

Grind phone doesn't like 'whack of goals'.

Ya, his offense likely isn't developed at this point, but he still brings a lot to the table. Teams may think he's more Alzner and less Ekblad at this point, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad