2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think a lot of people are undervaluing Nylander in this draft. Kid has near identical tools to Ehlers IMO.

Nylander ia the lessee of two brothers. Willy is a step above. Ehlers is far closer to or on par with Willy.

EDIT

I am honestly not sure that A Ny would have been a top 15 pick in 2014. He may go top 5 here.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nylander ia the lessee of two brothers. Willy is a step above. Ehlers is far closer to or on par with Willy.

I just think he is comparable. Both brothers are incredibly skilled though but yeah Ehlers/Willy is a step above.

Deleted member 218451

Would like Jets to take a chance and take Sean Day in 2nd round. Could fizzle out but potential is there I think.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not all that excited by this draft apart from Matthews. I always want franchise C or D with a top pick, but that isn't really an option beyond Matthews here.

If they end up with a winger - a part from the Finns - it'll be the third best young winger in their system behind Ehlers and Connor. While that's nice, I want franchise cornerstones.

I have a similar feeling. Last season there was so much depth.

This season I feel there is Matthews.....then the Finns.....then a sizeable drop to the next tier. Like you I am not cheddared with high end D men but one thing I don't mind is the second tier D men (Bean, Sergachev, Fabbro, McAvoy)

Bottom line for me at least is if we were going to blow off all of our "draft horseshoes" for the next 10 to 15 years on one day to load up for a championship I would put it all on getting 1st overall in the 2016 draft. Matthews to the Jets would be a generational game changer. He fills a key positional need for a championship team.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
If we're in the top5 we choose Laine or Chychrun. Matthews only if we're number one. But outside of that we need Sergachyov or Dubois. Preferably both.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In a perfect world we trade Ladd to a bubble team, they miss the playoffs and their first wins the lottery.

Matthews AND Chychrun sounds pretty good to me =).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
In a perfect world we trade Ladd to a bubble team, they miss the playoffs and their first wins the lottery.

Matthews AND Chychrun sounds pretty good to me =).

It would probably be lottery protected by moving it to 2017.

So Mathews and Patrick insread ;)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Would like Jets to take a chance and take Sean Day in 2nd round. Could fizzle out but potential is there I think.

I suspect plenty of teams will start considering him in round two. The kids a bit soft, and that doesn't go over well with NHL scouts.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
He was eligible last year, this is his draft +1. Good 19 year old seasons aren't terribly uncommon.

No, but we did some research and those types of players generally have better chances at success then most of the chaff that gets selected in the last two rounds

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I have a similar feeling. Last season there was so much depth.

This season I feel there is Matthews.....then the Finns.....then a sizeable drop to the next tier. Like you I am not cheddared with high end D men but one thing I don't mind is the second tier D men (Bean, Sergachev, Fabbro, McAvoy)

Bottom line for me at least is if we were going to blow off all of our "draft horseshoes" for the next 10 to 15 years on one day to load up for a championship I would put it all on getting 1st overall in the 2016 draft. Matthews to the Jets would be a generational game changer. He fills a key positional need for a championship team.

Agree, ps and truck. It's close to Matthews or bust for me. Almost.

Picking outside the top 8 or so, I'd even be fine with moving the pick and a prospect for a young NHL player. Player the Jets would control for a few years.

Don't think the Jets do that, but I'd be fine if they did.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I have some concerns with Chychrun's long-term development plan - he's seemed to taper off a bit this year, and there's a (admittedly probably fairly small) chance he's the next Griffin Reinhart. That said, if you're drafing 5-8 and he's still there, you might just have to take him.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I have some concerns with Chychrun's long-term development plan - he's seemed to taper off a bit this year, and there's a (admittedly probably fairly small) chance he's the next Griffin Reinhart. That said, if you're drafing 5-8 and he's still there, you might just have to take him.

Worth noting that he was 9th in team scoring last year - 3rd among D. He is 2nd overall, 1st among D this year.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
No, but we did some research and those types of players generally have better chances at success then most of the chaff that gets selected in the last two rounds

Interesting, makes sense. I'm actually surprised he didn't get drafted last year. Truth be told his number were better than decent last year.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That would be ideal. Fall right into our laps. He can live with grandma.

Not sure I want him even with a top 10 pick. Looking at his stats without secondary assists he falls to 28th overall in the OHL. His two linemates remain the same at 2nd and 3rd(Marner and Dvorak). When looking at purely primary point even strength production he falls to 55th overall neck to neck with Chychrun.
I think he is massively overated for his pedigree, being the son of a former star, and the teams he plays for. I think he will be an NHLer but I don't think his ceiling is anywhere near many of the other prospects available. It would be a mistake to waste a top 10 pick on him IMO unless all you want is a safe pick on a maybe top 9 player.
He'll be a good complimentary player that will need better linemates to flourish and without them will likely be middle 6 depth scoring/checking winger.

Edit: initial numbers were a bit off.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I don't think Dubois has the skill to be in the mix for a top 5 guy, interesting guy though for sure but he reminds me a bit like Couturier and I can see him being a 20/20 guy in the NHL because he is able to dominate teenagers but he won't be able to dominate NHLers.

I like Chychrun alot, I think he is stability guy that could play with a loose cannon type. I rock on the back end who can put up 30 points a year.

If we don't have a shot a Matthews or one of the Finns then he is the guy I want, Even after that I would rather take a shot at Nylander because he has top 5 skill

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wonder if a guy like Michael McLeod is on the Jets radar if they are picking 6-9?

Kid has incredible wheels and works very hard. Chevy seemed to say speed was a very important trait to have. PoMo has criticized his team for not playing with speed, and was much happier when Scheifele returned to the line up, because their overall play was quicker.

Adding a guy like McLeod to Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler and Scheifele, we'd be a very fast team. Very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad