2016 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
This may be stirring the pot a little but...9 of the 10 Russians taken after the 3 round so far have been Russian based players. So in reference to that CHL import draft that's coming up in a few days maybe if someone calls you on the phone and asks you if you're interested in extra "exposure" you should idk...say "no thank you I'll stay home" and hang up...

Sokolov right on cue as I was saying haha

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
This may be stirring the pot a little but...9 of the 10 Russians taken after the 3 round so far have been Russian based players. So in reference to that CHL import draft that's coming up in a few days maybe if someone calls you on the phone and asks you if you're interested in extra "exposure" you should idk...say "no thank you I'll stay home" and hang up...

Sokolov right on cue as I was saying haha

Exactly, that's the main conclusion I have made so far: from the CHL only Sergachyov had a good draft.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Kuznetsov remains unpicked, that's the biggest omission today I guess.

And yes, I probably say that after every draft, but I'm pretty shocked now, a lot of conclusions to be made.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Kuznetsov remains unpicked, that's the biggest omission today I guess.

And yes, I probably say that after every draft, but I'm pretty shocked now, a lot of conclusions to be made.
not an omission for me, he's overhyped big time, never impressed me at all. abramov is criminally low, at lest he didn't end up in canada.
sokolov is a fail on two sticks. should have stayed in russia. with less exposure he'd have been drafted earlier, lel.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Just had this somewhat absurd thought, regarding the small number of Russian CHL-ers drafted this year: we are frequently complaining about the lack of CHL developed success stories and maybe some GMs have started to notice that misproportion too?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Official numbers 12 drafted who played KHL/MHL only 5 drafted from the NA leagues and 2 of those guys have been locks for years and would have been higher if they stayed in Russia due to less exposure (as poster says above). Like if Abramov played on the U18 team you would have to think he goes higher than Kayumov. Should be good enough evidence for guys who are thinking about crossing the ocean this year.

Sounds like Hextal doesnt mind Rubtsov staying in Russia, Rusbtsov changes story to "undecided about where will end up next year" from "going to CHL next year" lol.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
If you are not drafted in the first 2 rounds, you are statistically unlikely to end up in an NHL uniform anytime soon. Abramov and Sokolov were supposed to be the shiny gems of the '98 born group of Russian prospects, but the NHL management obviously has a very low opinion of this Russian crop. Abramov drafted in the 3rd round, which means that his team will have so much invested in prospects drafted ahead of him that his chances are very small on most counts, but add to that the fact that he is somewhat of a shrimp himself, and it looks like his best option might be Magnitka Nk.

When a player is drafted in the 7th round, and he is actually playing junior hockey in Canada while rehearsing for an NHL roster spot at the time, you must conclude that the Wild decided to use the 7th round pick rather than flushing it down the toilet. Sokolov has no chance of ever ending up in the NHL, according to the NHL general management and scouts who passed over him 150 times before saying, "oh, what the hell does it hurt to take him in the 7th round?" They know they'll never get down to the 7th round. These guys have AHL, ECHL written all over them, according to NHL GM's.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Biggest surprise so far:

The Predators Eastern European scout, Martin Bakula, has a lot of credibility in the organization. He found an unknown in Marek Mazanec that has turned out pretty well. He is apparently pretty high on Volkov. Sometimes scouts just see something I guess.

What's his outlook for this season? Is he owned by a KHL team?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Vasiliy Glotov (C/W, 5'11", 159 lbs; MHL: 23G+32A in 42GP; 1 year overager)

Why he can be drafted: fast skating, smart center with great hands, who has shown a huge production increase in MHL this year.
Why he probably won't be drafted: lack of physicality (which is important for a center) and lack of exposure.

Vasily Glotov to Buffalo at 190, wasn't it like Tim Murray didn't like Russians?
Sounds like two Sabres scouts were watching him per Greg Royce: "A little bit of an unknown. Anders [Forsberg] and myself, we've seen him quite a few times. He's a 5.10, 5.11, little guy. Dynamic, very skilled, creates from nothing. I think he's one of those hidden gems that we feel very pleased that we get him here. He'll be here for development camp. We're hoping to get the paperwork all done, but I think people will be very pleased when they see his skills."

Another year in MHL or does Glotov have other plans for '16-17?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Official numbers 12 drafted who played KHL/MHL only 5 drafted from the NA leagues and 2 of those guys have been locks for years and would have been higher if they stayed in Russia due to less exposure (as poster says above). Like if Abramov played on the U18 team you would have to think he goes higher than Kayumov. Should be good enough evidence for guys who are thinking about crossing the ocean this year.

Sounds like Hextal doesnt mind Rubtsov staying in Russia, Rusbtsov changes story to "undecided about where will end up next year" from "going to CHL next year" lol.

It's not even the percentage of CHL-ers that is surprising, it's the final draft position itself (except, of course, Sergachyov) - seemed like it would be the other way around and those kids were subject to a heavy 'Russian factor'.

If you are not drafted in the first 2 rounds, you are statistically unlikely to end up in an NHL uniform anytime soon. Abramov and Sokolov were supposed to be the shiny gems of the '98 born group of Russian prospects, but the NHL management obviously has a very low opinion of this Russian crop. Abramov drafted in the 3rd round, which means that his team will have so much invested in prospects drafted ahead of him that his chances are very small on most counts, but add to that the fact that he is somewhat of a shrimp himself, and it looks like his best option might be Magnitka Nk.

When a player is drafted in the 7th round, and he is actually playing junior hockey in Canada while rehearsing for an NHL roster spot at the time, you must conclude that the Wild decided to use the 7th round pick rather than flushing it down the toilet. Sokolov has no chance of ever ending up in the NHL, according to the NHL general management and scouts who passed over him 150 times before saying, "oh, what the hell does it hurt to take him in the 7th round?" They know they'll never get down to the 7th round. These guys have AHL, ECHL written all over them, according to NHL GM's.

Definitely out-of-the-box thinking by the Wild GM. :sarcasm:

The Predators Eastern European scout, Martin Bakula, has a lot of credibility in the organization. He found an unknown in Marek Mazanec that has turned out pretty well. He is apparently pretty high on Volkov. Sometimes scouts just see something I guess.

What's his outlook for this season? Is he owned by a KHL team?

That's the only explanation I can think of - that the scouts saw something, because it is quite an unobvious pick. He is probably contracted with SKA for next season, so it's likely that he will spend next season trying to establish himself as a legit MHL starter.

Sounds like two Sabres scouts were watching him per Greg Royce: "A little bit of an unknown. Anders [Forsberg] and myself, we've seen him quite a few times. He's a 5.10, 5.11, little guy. Dynamic, very skilled, creates from nothing. I think he's one of those hidden gems that we feel very pleased that we get him here. He'll be here for development camp. We're hoping to get the paperwork all done, but I think people will be very pleased when they see his skills."

Another year in MHL or does Glotov have other plans for '16-17?

No idea about the plans, bu if Glotov decides to go to CHL, it will mean that he probably will go to AHL one year after that and I don't think it is a good idea, as it is unlikely that he could get enough physical strength to be able to compete at the AHL level during just one year.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
So who could imagine that Mamin will get drafted? Wss he even on your radar as a potential draftee last year, Caser?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
So who could imagine that Mamin will get drafted? Wss he even on your radar as a potential draftee last year, Caser?

Last year I made a separate top 10 overager list and I remember that Mamin was the last guy cut from there. But yes, Volkov and Mamin are the guys I couldn't imagine getting drafted this year at all.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Volkov, as mentioned, is also a shocker. I mean, why him but not Krasotkin, for example? Russians remain woefully underscouted.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Last year I made a separate top 10 overager list and I remember that Mamin was the last guy cut from there. But yes, Volkov and Mamin are the guys I couldn't imagine getting drafted this year at all.

Next year you surely will be forgiven if your overager list will include some wild choices. Also I agree, that it still seems that Russian drafting out of MHL is total guesswork.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Maple Leafs drafted three Russians.

Yegor Korshkov
Vladimir Bobylyov
Nikolai Chebykin

Korshkov was scouted by Yevgeni Namestnikov and Chebykin was scouted by Ari Vuori.

I really like the Korshkov pick.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
No little Popugayev either. Thought somebody might take a flier on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad