2016 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Sadly, a lot of dashed dreams for prospects who were told by agents that they were great talents, and to maximize their fortunes in life, they should go to Canada and play under the noses of NHL scouts, so they could be taken No. 1 in the NHL draft. They forgot to tell them that they were undeveloped, and that playing a 90-game schedule in the CHL, under a totally foreign hockey system, would ****** their development. Maybe they could even learn to speak the same language while they were there. Now they are sadly hoping that a place in the KHL can be found for them. What a waste!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
That's the only explanation I can think of - that the scouts saw something, because it is quite an unobvious pick. He is probably contracted with SKA for next season, so it's likely that he will spend next season trying to establish himself as a legit MHL starter.

It's a pretty typical predators move. No one had heard of Rinne, Mazanec, Lindback, or most recently Janne Juvonen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Bakula said that he thinks pack of exposure is the only reason they could get him where they did, and that he will be with the Russian U20 team next season, and by this time next year he thinks people will definitely know of him.

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
It's a pretty typical predators move. No one had heard of Rinne, Mazanec, Lindback, or most recently Janne Juvonen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Bakula said that he thinks pack of exposure is the only reason they could get him where they did, and that he will be with the Russian U20 team next season, and by this time next year he thinks people will definitely know of him.

Well, Volkov is definitely on another level of 'no-one-had-heardness' then those examples, but, of course, I'll be extremely happy if he succeedes.

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
So the Russians have apparently gotten rid of the U18 team?

At least for the next season, I guess there are just no money for that now, so they will revert to the old way. Something like a half of the 1999 team is from Dynamo anyway, so hopefully it won't have such a negative impact.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At least for the next season, I guess there are just no money for that now, so they will revert to the old way. Something like a half of the 1999 team is from Dynamo anyway, so hopefully it won't have such a negative impact.

Have you started yet on your preview of the Russian prospects for the 2017 draft? :sarcasm:

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Have you started yet on your preview of the Russian prospects for the 2017 draft? :sarcasm:

'Started' might not be the right word, more like 'started to think about it'. :) Obviously we need to know the CHL import draft results first, because, as we can see from this draft, a move to the QMJHL kills your draft stock immediately. :sarcasm:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Do you have a link to such an announcement? I thought I saw an announcement a couple of weeks ago saying that the U18 program would be continued next year.

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Do you have a link to such an announcement? I thought I saw an announcement a couple of weeks ago saying that the U18 program would be continued next year.

That's what Morozov told in an interview and since he is an executing director of the MHL I consider it as pretty official (link).

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Meanwhile Lazarev is invited to the Panthers camp and Miromanov will attend the Blackhawks camp, so I guess there was some interest in them after all, not enough to spend a pick though.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
That's what Morozov told in an interview and since he is an executing director of the MHL I consider it as pretty official (link).

Thanks for the link! They had to fire Prokhorov over the Meldonium controversy, and there was no payoff after the effort and expense last year, so maybe they have given up on it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
'Started' might not be the right word, more like 'started to think about it'. :) Obviously we need to know the CHL import draft results first, because, as we can see from this draft, a move to the QMJHL kills your draft stock immediately. :sarcasm:

The first 9 names that I think could be drafted are Klim Kostin, Kirill Slepets, Nikita A. Popugayev, Artyom Minulin, Georgi Ivanov, Pavel Koltygin, Yegor Trifonov, Yaroslav Alexeyev, Dmitri Samorukov.

I think the first four could be first rounders, depending on how their seasons go, but besides Kostin I don't think any of these players are among the best prospects of any country early on. Maybe also Slepets, depending on how good of a season he has, but there doesn't seem to be many top 10-15 level Russian prospects compared to the top prospects of any country almost a year out from this draft. It seems like 2017 could be a weaker draft for Russian prospects, but that seems to be the way for draft prospects from almost all countries, besides Sweden and Finland. 2018 could be much better with Svechnikov, Bitsadze, Khovanov, Zhabreyev, Denisenko, Galenyuk.

Last edited:

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Thanks for the link! They had to fire Prokhorov over the Meldonium controversy, and there was no payoff after the effort and expense last year, so maybe they have given up on it.

First, let's face it - we're in the money-saving mode now. Last year there were legendary 1998 born team and an ambitious hockey fanatic Prokhorov - it was an attractive 'place for investments', but the expected WJC medal payoff wasn't there; this year it is a more modest 1999 born team and a much less charismatic Golubovich. Also Dynamo management would go on the rampage if they would be stripped of a half of their MHL team including the coach, not to mention that they might be counting on Kostin to contribute also on a higher level.

The first 9 names that I think could be drafted are Klim Kostin, Kirill Slepets, Nikita A. Popugayev, Artyom Minulin, Georgi Ivanov, Pavel Koltygin, Yegor Trifonov, Yaroslav Alexeyev, Dmitri Samorukov.

I think the first four could be first rounders, depending on how their seasons go, but besides Kostin I don't think any of these players are among the best prospects of any country early on. Maybe also Slepets, depending on how good of a season he has, but there doesn't seem to be many top 10-15 level Russian prospects compared to the top prospects of any country almost a year out from this draft. It seems like 2017 could be a weaker draft for Russian prospects, but that seems to be the way for draft prospects from almost all countries, besides Sweden and Finland. 2018 could be much better with Svechnikov, Bitsadze, Khovanov, Zhabreyev, Denisenko, Galenyuk.

The bolded is an extremely strange way to spell 'Mark Rubinchik'. ;) I think it is a bit of a misconception that 2017 draft class is weaker, just because even if we just compare the names that you've already mentioned with the list I had in the beginning of this season, I don't think it is that weaker, if weaker at all. And let's not forget that some undrafted guys will return to reinforce that draft class, as I still refuse to give up the hope for guys like Mityakin, Sukhachyov, Sidorov, Voronkov, Shvyryov, Kuznetsov (if not signed this summer, of course) etc.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
'Started' might not be the right word, more like 'started to think about it'. :)

Unacceptable! You made us addicts of your work, so you now have to give us more and quickly. Your threads are the only sane place where to read about any Russian prospects on these boards. Your reports are fantastic, and I think you should ask for this one to be stickied just like Swedish or American prospect thread.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Caser, your work in this thread is amazing and very much appreciated :yo:

I didn't know where else to put this, but I was wondering what you felt about the center the Flyers drafted last season, Mikhail Vorobyov? How has he been doing and what kind of player do you think he will turn out to be?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
First, let's face it - we're in the money-saving mode now. Last year there were legendary 1998 born team and an ambitious hockey fanatic Prokhorov - it was an attractive 'place for investments', but the expected WJC medal payoff wasn't there; this year it is a more modest 1999 born team and a much less charismatic Golubovich. Also Dynamo management would go on the rampage if they would be stripped of a half of their MHL team including the coach, not to mention that they might be counting on Kostin to contribute also on a higher level.

The bolded is an extremely strange way to spell 'Mark Rubinchik'. ;) I think it is a bit of a misconception that 2017 draft class is weaker, just because even if we just compare the names that you've already mentioned with the list I had in the beginning of this season, I don't think it is that weaker, if weaker at all. And let's not forget that some undrafted guys will return to reinforce that draft class, as I still refuse to give up the hope for guys like Mityakin, Sukhachyov, Sidorov, Voronkov, Shvyryov, Kuznetsov (if not signed this summer, of course) etc.

If the RHF is out of money, then it would have been necessary to shut the program down anyway. But it seemed to me simple logic - Team USA uses a national team approach in rolling over the competition with ease in U18, why not use the same system that was originally patterned after the Soviet model? I actually thought that the 1999 group did very well in 2016, much better than many of us who used the word "relegation" to describe their prospects before the tournament predicted.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
That is a simple question and the answer is 'Size' - all the goalies drafted this year are 6'1" and bigger.

Might be as simple as this. NHL teams are very susceptible to trends. Whatever happened to scouting talent?

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Unacceptable! You made us addicts of your work, so you now have to give us more and quickly. Your threads are the only sane place where to read about any Russian prospects on these boards. Your reports are fantastic, and I think you should ask for this one to be stickied just like Swedish or American prospect thread.

Thanks, actually you made me smile, as you reminded me the good old Russian KVN joke about the man who started to write a book because he had nothing to read. :D

Caser, your work in this thread is amazing and very much appreciated :yo:

I didn't know where else to put this, but I was wondering what you felt about the center the Flyers drafted last season, Mikhail Vorobyov? How has he been doing and what kind of player do you think he will turn out to be?

Thanks :) About Vorobyov, he is doing even better than expected and is in a good position to become a KHL regular and a first line center at the WJC. I hope him to become something like a poor man's Anisimov.

Nice work Caser. Thank you!

Thanks, it's a really nice feeling that the time it took wasn't wasted. :)

Might be as simple as this. NHL teams are very susceptible to trends. Whatever happened to scouting talent?

This question should be addressed to Panarin, Zaitsev, Soshnikov etc., they should be experts on that. :)

About the goalie size, actually it is really easy to scare scouts/GMs off with almost anything and in this case I think it is the coming goalie equipment shrinking.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Also Dynamo management would go on the rampage if they would be stripped of a half of their MHL team including the coach, not to mention that they might be counting on Kostin to contribute also on a higher level

This sentence immediately popped up in my head after I saw the CHL import draft results yesterday. :laugh: So many kids picked very highly, that kinda makes me think that some of them for sure had agreements to be picked up.

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Meanwhile Max Lazarev has received camp invitation also from Carolina.

This sentence immediately popped up in my head after I saw the CHL import draft results yesterday. :laugh: So many kids picked very highly, that kinda makes me think that some of them for sure had agreements to be picked up.

Pretty surprised Kostin went first overall there, I thought Dynamo had signed him (at least that's what Safronov said).

In terms of Russian Prospects, how does this draft rank amongst previous years?

I'd say 2015 was a stronger year, but this year and 2014 are more or less on the same level, maybe a slight edge to this year, just because of the depth of the prospect pool.

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
With a cooler head, I thought that it would be nice to quickly revisit the draft one more time. :)

Draft picks:

• Mikhail Sergachyov — with Subban traded for Weber, upcoming Markov retirement next summer and never stopping Yemelin trade talks, Sergachyov, with his high level of NHL-readiness, is really something what Canadiens could use if they're trying to make a defensive rebuild on the fly. Interesting that it looks like their fans are kind of not fond of the Malakhov comparison, although it couldn't be that bad since Malakhov is in the Triple-gold club. Another interesting thing is that it was reported that Edmonton were ready to grab Sergachyov at 4-th until Puljujarvi felt in their hands, so I hope Montreal management and fans didn't forget to send a bottle of something good to Jarmo Kekkalainen. Most likely Sergachyov will spend the next season fighting for the Memorial cup with a goal to make it to the NHL next summer.

• German Rubtsov — picked by the Flyers and that's not unexpected at all, as he looked like a Hextall's type of player all the time to me. I was pretty sure that even without the trade down to 22-nd Hextall would've picked him (it was also confirmed by the medias), not to mention that he definitely have been practicing pronouncing Rubtsov's name. Next season Rubtsov will fight for a middle-six center spot at Vityaz despite stating his desire to play in the CHL. Actually I think that Rubtsov never believed that Vityaz will let him go now and didn't really want it too much, just was trying to make himself a bit more attractive pick.

• Toronto picks (Yegor Korshkov, Vladimir Bobylyov, Nikolay Chebykin) — what immediately stands out when looking at those picks is that those kids are overagers with a high level of physical giftedness. I see the plan for them is to spend next couple of years in the KHL and then repeat the Soshnikov path via Marlies (kudos to Shanahan for taking the AHL affiliate thing to the entirely new level, btw), so obviously the physicality combined with a pro experience will be something useful there. Korshkov at 31 turned out to be a bit high, but if they really wanted him and couldn't trade down a bit — there is no choice then to take him there.

• Artur Kayumov — Chicago were heavily scouting the Russia U18 NT project and apparently liked what they saw in Kayumov enough for the second round. Interesting that before the draft data appeared that Kayumov had measured one inch and 17 lbs bigger than listed before, maybe Chicago scouts hope that his 'growth curve' will continue. Next season Kayumov will likely spend in the MHL with Loko.

• Vitaly Abramov — CHL Russians were out of fashion this year and Abramov really fell to the third round. I know that there were talks about the skating and probably can admit that his leg power need some gym work, but c'mon, third round? I see enough smarts in his game to compensate any skating flaws he could have, so I'm thinking that the 'overscouting' thing is to blame. Still I will remain hoping that he won't spend more than one more season in the Q, a yearlong loan to Europe next summer would be a good idea.

• Anatoliy Golyshev — this selection is one more little yet important step away from the Russian factor thing, as a 3 year KHL contract and small size didn't scare the Islanders away, although I guess they are hoping to get him a bit earlier than 3 years away.

• New Jersey picks (Yegor Rykov, Mikhail Maltsev) — Lamoriello is not with the organization anymore, but the Devils are still looking to pick up a bargain and getting those guys where they were picked is exactly that. Also I see Brylin's hand in those picks, as he likely still have some connections in the SKA organization. Rykov will have an important year, as he will try to establish himself as a U20 NT leading defender at the WJC and as a KHL regular. Maltsev will try to find himself a place in the SKA system, probably it will be the MHL for now.

• Mikhail Berdin — Winnipeg needed some depth at the goalie prospect pool and getting Berdin at the 6-th round is a pretty good remedy for that. For now Berdin is staying with Sevestal team, probably will spend next season in the MHL.

• Konstantin Volkov — pretty surprising pick, although after some time I remembered that he was more or less decent at the recent Sochi U20 NT camp games. Not the highly touted talent, but kid got the size. Next season he will need to get the starter's job at the MHL.

• Maxim Mamin — another surprising pick, but I guess that Tom Rowe and his Russian connections are to blame here. Has one more year of KHL contract with CSKA, maybe they're hoping that he will come over after that.

• Oleg Sosunov — I don't want to sound disrespectful to Sosunov's hockey skills, but being 6'8" really matters. I'm thinking about Yzerman calling John Namestnikov asking if Sosunov can also play hockey. Still we have to remember that Tryamkin also wasn't highly rated at his first year of the draft eligibility. Next season Sosunov's task is to make Loko's MHL team. And yes, with this pick Yzerman regained the lead at drafting Russians.

• Vasiliy Glotov — and another surprising picks as there were quite a lot of talks about, you know, 'Murrays Vs. Russians' thing. It is expected that Glotov will spend the next season in the QMJHL and I think it's not a bad idea, it is important what he will decide to do in the next summer though.

• Dmitriy Sokolov — while 7-th round is a bit too low for the possible reward here, it is a perfect 'Wake up, Neo! You're a 7-th rounder now!' call — if that won't wake him up, nothing will. Chuck Fletcher suddenly remembered that Sokolov played good on the same line with Kaprizov in 2015 and decided to risk a 7-th round pick on someone, who actually got a chance to make the NHL — pretty much out-of-the-box thinking for nowadays GMs. Next season we are hoping to finally see something good from Sokolov, would be about time.

• Dmitriy Zaitsev — I have seen him only at the U18 WJC and he didn't look good enough to me, but obviously Washington scouts seen more of him, so I hope for something at least decent there. Next season he is expected to play in WHL, so that will be a more serious test to his abilities.

Went undrafted:

• Vladimir Kuznetsov — biggest draft omission, I mean, I understand that his stride and edgework need work, but at least the power and offensive skillset are there and I definitely have seen worse skaters being drafted. Looking at Russian CHL-ers being that unpopular this year, I really have a feeling that he would've been picked if he had stayed in Russia and made the U18 NT.

• Yevgeniy Mityakin — I acknowledge that he has both skating and physicality issues, but looking at his hockey IQ, frame and the fact that the Avtomobilist team is counting on him, he is worth of a lower round pick to me, just because there is at least a chance that he will be pretty good at some point in the future, which most of bottom rounders don't have.

• Vladislav Sukhachyov — small size and the fact that somehow teams weren't active in picking goalies this year (btw, does anyone have a guess why?) resulted in him not being picked. I'm pretty positive about his future, he was very good at the U20 NT Sochi camp and I have a thought that he could fight for a WJC roster spot already in the coming season.

• Maxim Lazarev, Alexandr Mikulovich — there was reported to be some interest in them from NHL teams, but in the end it wasn't big enough to be drafted. They will now have to show what they got in the training camps, Lazarev already aligned to pay a visit both to Carolina and Florida.

• Alexandr Yakovenko — again there was some interest reported, but not enough of it and not exactly surprisingly — quite a lot of work to be invested in the defensive game here.

• Andrey Svetlakov — finally some 'Russian factor' this year too: Svetlakov is a defensive forward with a 3 years on the contract with CSKA and, as we can see, those kind of cases are still subject to the good old Russian factor.

Overall, it is nice to see that this year NHL scouts discovered that there is some hockey in the MHL too, although still there is certainly some room for improvement. And yes, comparing the draft results with the OP, it is obvious that I'm still bad at predictions, but that totally didn't spoil all the fun to me. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad