2016 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Don't know what makes Kayumov better than Abramov. Kayumov has talent but isn't a great finisher, but we'll see.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
[*]Vitaly Abramov — CHL Russians were out of fashion this year and Abramov really fell to the third round. I know that there were talks about the skating and probably can admit that his leg power need some gym work, but c'mon, third round? I see enough smarts in his game to compensate any skating flaws he could have, so I'm thinking that the 'overscouting' thing is to blame. Still I will remain hoping that he won't spend more than one more season in the Q, a yearlong loan to Europe next summer would be a good idea.

Has an Atkinson-style hitch to his skating, but a great skater nevertheless. Just doesn't fit the preferred schema of many scouts.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
The leafs dipped into the Russian pool this year. Any guys they took going make a push or is it just Zaitsev. Zaitsev led CSKA Moscow blueliners in points in each of his four seasons with the team so he has some offence. Nikita Soshnikov has developed nicely with the Toronto Marlies and his brief call up.

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
The leafs dipped into the Russian pool this year. Any guys they took going make a push or is it just Zaitsev. Zaitsev led CSKA Moscow blueliners in points in each of his four seasons with the team so he has some offence. Nikita Soshnikov has developed nicely with the Toronto Marlies and his brief call up.

I think all the drafted guys are expected to be close to NHL ready in a couple of years, actually I think that's also the plan: around that time Shanahan & Co will have to answer some questions and some of those can be answered with a prospect pool boiling of players, who are ready to step up to the NHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Whats the deal with Maim Rasseikin? Not good enough for the NT yet good enough to make a KHL roster? His numbers look far from spectacular at most levels but he's getting KHL stints.

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Whats the deal with Maim Rasseikin? Not good enough for the NT yet good enough to make a KHL roster? His numbers look far from spectacular at most levels but he's getting KHL stints.

He was suspended for PEDs last season, that's why he was out of scope for some time.

KarIgo87

Rider on the Storm
May 22, 2015
Moscow
Igor Shvyrev should've been drafted. He was one of the best (if not THE best) '98 players in MHL last season. But he wasn't invited to Prokhorov's U18 team (or was but declined an offer) so I guess that's why he was overlooked.
I think he'll be picked as an overager in a year or two. Like Korshkov or at least Glotov.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Igor Shvyrev should've been drafted. He was one of the best (if not THE best) '98 players in MHL last season. But he wasn't invited to Prokhorov's U18 team (or was but declined an offer) so I guess that's why he was overlooked.
I think he'll be picked as an overager in a year or two. Like Korshkov or at least Glotov.
he played at the hlinka when provorov was coach, no? and his stats fot the nt is crap. i guess prohorov just didn't see much in him.

KarIgo87

Rider on the Storm
May 22, 2015
Moscow
he played at the hlinka when provorov was coach, no? and his stats fot the nt is crap. i guess prohorov just didn't see much in him.

Hlinka was in August, he wasn't invited to NT since then despite being the most productive '98 player in MHL. I mean Prokhorov took Altybarmakyan, Veryayev during a season and some others why not to give another chance to Igor? I think he or his club refused.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Draft picks:

• Edmonton were ready to grab Sergachyov at 4-th until Puljujarvi felt in their hands, so I hope Montreal management and fans didn't forget to send a bottle of something good to Jarmo Kekkalainen.

Or maybe they sent a bottle of something good before the draft and that made him forget to draft Puljujärvi :laugh:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I had him #60 in my pre-draft rankings. He didn't get drafted because of what country he's from.

Yes and maybe no. There's always the chance that NHL teams want their Russians make some sort of promise as in going to the CHL. Maybe Shvyryov loves Russia and isn't ready to make a promise, or NHL teams want to see more of him and draft him as an overager. Talent-wise he's a stud. But what hurt him (and a lot of Euro-based prospects) was the love affair with overage North Americans or Euros in North American leagues.

It's criminal so few Russians from the U18 team didnt get drafted. Kosorenkov especially. Think that changes this year. The CHL crop is super top heavy, but most NHL scouts have a huge bias and play favorites/do favors.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wonder if Kosorenkov would've come to NA this season if he got drafted. Why should he be playing in the Q this season instead of potentially the KHL?

I also agree that he should've gotten drafted. This is what I wrote at the time of the draft.

Ivan Kosorenkov-Really high upside winger. Size is good at 6'0, but he needs to get stronger. Big shot and a good skater. He's a sniper, but he has good puck skills and playmaking. His decision making needs to get better and he needs to play better defense. Third Round

When I say third round, I obviously mean talent level, we all know Russian players don't always go where their talent level dictates they should, whether people agree with that or not. I'm obviously no expert, but I thought Kosorenkov was pretty clearly a mid round talent, yet he doesn't get drafted. It might not even be giving him enough credit to say he's a mid round talent. His raw offensive skills could've gotten him drafted in the first two rounds, if he had the international hockey experience to go along with the offensive skills. Like Shvyryov, I thought he was one of the best players who didn't get drafted.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad