Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
I havent seen much of sergachev but if hes on par with provorov like you say it'll be tough to pass on him at 4

if Sergachev was on par with Provorov he would be the top rated d-men in this draft, and most mock drafts have Serg going behind Juolevi, and often plus or minus wrt Chychrun (who has potential, but didn't have a good draft year). I'd be surprised if any of these three max out close to Provorov.

However, if Provorov was a RD, I'd jump at the chance of offering Philly #4 overall for him.

The top three d-men in this years draft, won't start (or should not start) going off the board until #7 or so.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
the skating, 200 foot game and forward position versatility of Dubois versus the competitiveness and family of Tkachuk

look what happened to Dany Heatley when the NHL got quicker, and Pittsburgh's championship this year made the league look to getting faster in the years ahead.

Blah. I'd almost rather be in 5th. That way it's a no brainer - you take whoever falls.

Wonder what Vancouver would pay to move up.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I've flip flopped between Tkachuk and Dubois for too long now. Feel like I'm more leaning towards Dubois lately but it's at the point where I really don't care which one we take as long as we take one.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
If puljujarvi doesn't fall into our laps I hope we trade the pick. Barrie, Vatanen, or Trouba help us much more next year than Dubois or Tkachuk. We can't wait for 18 year old players to help us anymore. This team needs to show a huge improvement next year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If puljujarvi doesn't fall into our laps I hope we trade the pick. Barrie, Vatanen, or Trouba help us much more next year than Dubois or Tkachuk. We can't wait for 18 year old players to help us anymore. This team needs to show a huge improvement next year.

This 100%.

Wait to see if Pulju is available at #4, if not move the pick for a RHD. We need to start winning right now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This 100%.

Wait to see if Pulju is available at #4, if not move the pick for a RHD. We need to start winning right now.

If you think the #4 needs to be traded for help because we need to win now, I'm not sure why Puljujarvi being available would change that. He's not going to step in next year and make the Oilers a better team.

It doesn't matter who the Oilers draft this draft. They wouldn't make this a better team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If you think the #4 needs to be traded for help because we need to win now, I'm not sure why Puljujarvi being available would change that. He's not going to step in next year and make the Oilers a better team.

It doesn't matter who the Oilers draft this draft. They wouldn't make this a better team.

Only player with a possibility to be available to us that I think is worth staying in the draft for.

His size, skill, skating ability, and the fact that he's a right handed shot make it an easy decision for me. Unless a team calls and makes an offer that includes a RHD that we cannot refuse.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton

We need a big bodied rw almost as much as a rd. Also it makes it much easier to move ebs or yak to shore up our d.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Linholm was 15th on Mckenzies list so it wasabi the of a reach.

Are you trying to say that Anaheim burned a lot of teams by reaching for Lindholm? Because I know that everytime I have wasabi I feel the burn, and it isn't pleasant. Most likely like the burn teams felt that picked before and after Anaheim after missing out on the best player in that draft.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We need a big bodied rw almost as much as a rd. Also it makes it much easier to move ebs or yak to shore up our d.
A) Not even close regarding the bold. This whole "big bodied" business is such an over exaggeration. We have one of the best RWers in the game in Eberle. We don't have a single legitimate NHL right shot d-man.

B) 18 year old players don't make teams better. So even if you think we might need a big bodied RW. That player wont be Puljujarvi. I mean he'd make the team... but he wouldn't make us any better of a team in a meaningful way.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
if Sergachev was on par with Provorov he would be the top rated d-men in this draft, and most mock drafts have Serg going behind Juolevi, and often plus or minus wrt Chychrun (who has potential, but didn't have a good draft year). I'd be surprised if any of these three max out close to Provorov.

However, if Provorov was a RD, I'd jump at the chance of offering Philly #4 overall for him.

The top three d-men in this years draft, won't start (or should not start) going off the board until #7 or so.

I really don't think Sergachev is far behind Provorov at the same age. Heck I think he's better defensively already then Provorov. Not sure why he isn't getting more hype but I'd be willing to bet if he played two years in North America he'd be the consensus #4 pick, if not higher.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This 100%.

Puljujarvi won't be available, if by some miracle he is you run up to the podium and select him. Columbus would be idiotic to pass him up. He could just as easily fit into the conversation for 1 or 2 in this draft.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Puljujarvi won't be available, if by some miracle he is you run up to the podium and select him. Columbus would be idiotic to pass him up. He could just as easily fit into the conversation for 1 or 2 in this draft.

Agreed. The only way I think he doesn't go #3 is if they trade the pick. Even then it's a very slim possibility he's available at #4.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
A) Not even close regarding the bold. This whole "big bodied" business is such an over exaggeration. We have one of the best RWers in the game in Eberle. We don't have a single legitimate NHL right shot d-man.

B) 18 year old players don't make teams better. So even if you think we might need a big bodied RW. That player wont be Puljujarvi. I mean he'd make the team... but he wouldn't make us any better of a team in a meaningful way.

Our rw is eberle. That's basically it.

I do agree with you that we can't put our hopes in another kid, but damn is puljujarvi ever tempting. A 6'4 200 lbs right shot rw would be a very nice piece

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton

I agree. The chances are very slim he's available, but I'm saying there's a chance!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Our rw is eberle. That's basically it.

I do agree with you that we can't put our hopes in another kid, but damn is puljujarvi ever tempting. A 6'4 200 lbs right shot rw would be a very nice piece

Any of these prospects that will be available at #4 will help this team eventually and they'll likely be very good players.

I guess my view point is you either view the pick as a prospect that will help build a winning team in 2 or 3 years. OR you view the pick as an asset to trade to get better now. And whoever is available with the pick is sort of irrelevant.

If you can get the right return for it, I don't care if Matthews or Laine fall to 4. Deal it. If you can't get the right return I don't care if it's Tkachuk, Dubois or someone else. Keep the pick.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Any of these prospects that will be available at #4 will help this team eventually and they'll likely be very good players.

I guess my view point is you either view the pick as a prospect that will help build a winning team in 2 or 3 years. OR you view the pick as an asset to trade to get better now. And whoever is available with the pick is sort of irrelevant.

If you can get the right return for it, I don't care if Matthews or Laine fall to 4. Deal it. If you can't get the right return I don't care if it's Tkachuk, Dubois or someone else. Keep the pick.
Ã4aha

Yep. I agree 100%

There are so many ways it could play out. If puljujarvi fell in our laps that trade would have to be for a very good defensemen for me to not shed tears

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If we keep the pick I think I'd prefer Tkachuk over Dubois. This kid just gets it the same way smytty did when it comes to going to the net, he's always there because thats how you score. He has incredible hand eye coordination on tips, a good wrister and good snap one-timer. His skating issues are not even real and were blown out of proportion by people who only watched him in the Mem cup when he was injured. He is also an incredible passer and just overall player below the dot. Dubois might end up a little better, but he's exactly what we need and I would not be surprised if he made the team out of camp starting in a sheltered role.

I know Lucic isn't a popular opinion to some, but if we dumped Pouliot and added Lucic and Tkachuk to our 2 PP units as net front presences along with Maroon, then I think it would actually be much more successful (hopefully a RHD as well obviously).

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Makes me hope we take Dubios. Never really got off that line of thinking but Tkachuk really got in peoples head with a great memorial cup run.

They are similar players with Dubious bring bigger, stronger, and faster... Tkachuk probably won't be Gagner 2.0 but we may be regretting not taking Dubois and letting a divisional rival scoop the superior player.

The "superior" player stuff doesn't wash. He's barely bigger than Tkachuk(6'1 vs 6'2, Tkachuk weighs one pound more), nor is there anything about Dubios being stronger. They pretty much all state Tkachuk has better offensive ability and competitiveness, while Dubios is a better skater and may have the more of a complete game down the road. It's pretty clear they all have both the players rated so close, that most of it is coming down to preference for the scouts.

It should also be noted that a bunch of praise for Tkachuk is coming from the supposedly pro-Dubois half of the article, where there is a lot of "Tkachuk is better, but...<insert comment about complete games>". You can see it where they point out that no one is better below the faceoff circles than Tkachuk(where most of the NHL game in the offensive zone is played, an area of major weakness for the Oilers), and point out Tkachuk is the more competitive player(another oiler weakness).

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'd take Tkachuck over Dubious (Don't even think to challenge my spelling!)

I do want to trade the pick however as my #1 option. Time to swing for the fences with a package of #4 and one or more of our 'core'

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I'm still bitter about us falling out of the top 3. Really wanted Laine or Puju. Having one of them playing with Mcdavid just seems so perfect. At this point, I still want the pick traded. Not fully sold on Tkachuk to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad