Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Benson can do a bit of everything. He'd be a good pick at 32.

Never said anything bad about him watching him come up in the WHL being a former 1st overall pick in the bantam draft. I am stating he's most likely a 1st rounder. I would throw money on that.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
According to Matheson The Oilers made a Offer to the Jackets for the 3rd overall.

I imagine that deal may be intriguing for Columbus if they are eyeing up Dubois, Brown or even Tkachuk.

Rychel will be guaranteed trade bait if they have interest in Tkachuk.

I am hoping Chia can get the 3rd. I see them going for a center though.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I imagine that deal may be intriguing for Columbus if they are eyeing up Dubois, Brown or even Tkachuk.

Rychel will be guaranteed trade bait if they have interest in Tkachuk.

I am hoping Chia can get the 3rd. I see them going for a center though.

To be clear though, Matheson didn't say the Oilers have made an offer. He says "probably", so it's just a guess on his part.

I think Columbus is more likely to take who they want at 3 (Puljujarvi or not) than trade down with the Oilers.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Sergachev

Is it worth waiting 2-3 years and having a top pairing dman come in on an ELC? IMO Sergachev may be in the NHL by as early as next season depending on who takes him. If he does go back I'd expect him in the lineup for the 2017-18 season, most likely playing top 4.

I disagree with your timeframe. All of Chychrun, Juolevi, and Sergachev are 3- 5 years away from playing in the NHL. Only top tier kind of d-men, like Hanifin, Ekblad, Jones, Hedman and Doughty have been able to make the jump in 1- 2 years. Hell even R. Murray, Larsson or Pietrangelo took more than what you are suggesting for Sergachev.

And Sergachev is often ranked as the third best d-men in this draft year, a year in which there is no top tier d-men available. Most of the drafting reports on Sergachev don't even list him to be a future top pairing d-men (more like a top 4 if he pans out), and you expect him to start playing top 4??? You apparently see a higher quality in his present and future playing ability than the draft synopsis that I've been seeing on the web.

By way of comparable, is Sergachev the equal of Nurse??? Maybe, but also maybe, probably not??? Well, Nurse spent an extra in junior and should have been in the AHL last year (and without injuries to the lineup he probably would have been), and if the Oilers trade for/ acquire a top 4 d-men or two, and Klefblom etc is healthy, Nurse may start in the AHL for the first half, or more of the upcoming season. That's what one might expect for all of the top 3 d-men in this year's draft.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I disagree with your timeframe. All of Chychrun, Juolevi, and Sergachev are 3- 5 years away from playing in the NHL. Only top tier kind of d-men, like Hanifin, Ekblad, Jones, Hedman and Doughty have been able to make the jump in 1- 2 years. Hell even R. Murray, Larsson or Pietrangelo took more than what you are suggesting for Sergachev.

And Sergachev is often ranked as the third best d-men in this draft year, a year in which there is no top tier d-men available. Most of the drafting reports on Sergachev don't even list him to be a future top pairing d-men (more like a top 4 if he pans out), and you expect him to start playing top 4??? You apparently see a higher quality in his present and future playing ability than the draft synopsis that I've been seeing on the web.

By way of comparable, is Sergachev the equal of Nurse??? Maybe, but also maybe, probably not??? Well, Nurse spent an extra in junior and should have been in the AHL last year (and without injuries to the lineup he probably would have been), and if the Oilers trade for/ acquire a top 4 d-men or two, and Klefblom etc is healthy, Nurse may start in the AHL for the first half, or more of the upcoming season. That's what one might expect for all of the top 3 d-men in this year's draft.

Perhaps 2-3 years away, but I think 3-5 is a stretch. If you draft Juolevi or Sergachev and he isn't know the NHL after 3 years then you were likely wrong about the player. Still time to be a good player but likely not a top pairing guy.

Also, we should wait till final rankings from Bob Mack come out, but I'd wager most lists have Sergachev either the 1st or 2nd ranked D.

As for Nurse, I still think he will be good, but other than his physicality there's basically nothing Nurse does better at the same age as Sergachev.

They both skate very well for big guys, but Sergachev has the elite offensive potential to be a potential top pairing guy that Nurse will never have.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Call Columbus. We offer sheet Seth Jones

8.75/8/7/7/6/6/6 (= 7 per cap hit)

Or

They accept some version of Nugent Hopkins for Jones (RNH + Reinhart for Jones + Rychel, RNH + Fayne for Jones + Hartnell, whatever).

Front loading it could really hurt them because I don't think their management wants to spend that kind of dough.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mega-deal

RNH + Eberle + Reinhart + no.4 (Dubois)

for

S. Jones + Hartnell + Johnson + no.3 (Puljujarvi)

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
LHD with zero NHL games played is pretty well the last thing we need.

people on this board love to keep putting juniors on this damn NHL team. Magic beans and mystery boxes. No experience necessary for this **** hole
lets have rookie d, MORE of them. great. thats a GREAT way to try to be a competitive team.

Bring more thumb sucking green horns in to a **** team D corps

Connor should just leave if those are our targets

When can this whole board join reality and actually talk about building an NHL team?

NHL

do people want to keep being at 28th? 29th? 30th?

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
3rd + Hartnell

for

4th + Korpi or one of the many younger 6th/7th d in system

Hartnell gave his list of teams and is out of Columbus as it is

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
people on this board love to keep putting juniors on this damn NHL team. Magic beans and mystery boxes. No experience necessary for this **** hole
lets have rookie d, MORE of them. great. thats a GREAT way to try to be a competitive team.

When can this whole board join reality and actually talk about building an NHL team?

NHL

They're saying it because throwing "magic beans" into the lineup is how the vast majority of teams developed their top defensemen.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
If we were to add a couple top 4 defenders, sure we would make the playoffs, if that's what people want. I don't want Edm to make the playoffs, I want them to win the Cup. And to do that we are gonna need a #1D. Every team this year who made it past the 2nd round had a #1D. Every team who's won the Cup in the last 20 years has had a #1D except for 1, and Oil fans should know all too well what team that was.

You might not win with a 1D, but you're really not gonna win without one.

If Chia adds 1 or even 2 middle pair dmen and calls it even, we are in big trouble in terms of actually contending.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

NHL

Bravo.:handclap:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
hey guys, Leafs fan

not sure sure what you guys are thinking but i've been thinking that oilers should keep 4 and draft PLD

not worth reaching on any of the d and they really don't need another young D man. they need an established one or two

PLD is a big two way forward. which is actually something they need and would compliment the other prospect. PLD and Drai would be the starts of a beast line

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think the draft boards for all 30 teams this year after the top 3 (maybe even top 2 only) will look significantly different this year.

I don't see a ton of separation between the guys in the 4-10 range.

I have preferences (Sergachev, Tkachuk, Dubois or Juolevi) and guys I'm not super excited about (Brown, Chychrun, Nylander), but they are all very close IMO.

I don't think we see any moves until the day of the draft at the earliest.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Everyone wants the flashy forward in the draft but cries when we can't get a solid dman via trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad