Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
So everyone's on this "can't trade for a D so draft sergachev" movement. Are we now in a world where defensemen don't take 2-3 years min. to develop?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So everyone's on this "can't trade for a D so draft sergachev" movement. Are we now in a world where defensemen don't take 2-3 years min. to develop?

I sure hope not.

I like Serg but not even a tiny bit at the number 4 spot and with our forward prospects junk as well trading down makes zero sense.

Unless part of a significantly bigger deal that nets us a solid right shooting defenseman there is no way we draft a defenseman. I hope they are not going to keep trying to draft a better defence. That is literally the definition of insanity.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Apparently Stauffer sees us taking Benson at 32.

I hope not. I've never been overly impressed with him in my viewings, and I'm not sure he can stay healthy.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Is it worth waiting 2-3 years and having a top pairing dman come in on an ELC? IMO Sergachev may be in the NHL by as early as next season depending on who takes him. If he does go back I'd expect him in the lineup for the 2017-18 season, most likely playing top 4.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I sure hope not.

I like Serg but not even a tiny bit at the number 4 spot and with our forward prospects junk as well trading down makes zero sense.

Unless part of a significantly bigger deal that nets us a solid right shooting defenseman there is no way we draft a defenseman. I hope they are not going to keep trying to draft a better defence. That is literally the definition of insanity.

I'm pretty sure 2 of the 3 dmen the Oilers have taken in the first round since 2000 were playing significant minutes for us last year. Also worth noting Sergachev played most of the year on his off side as a RHD.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

I hope not. I've never been overly impressed with him in my viewings, and I'm not sure he can stay healthy.

Seems like the typical Oiler always on the IR. Can see why they might take him if he's there though. Seems like a high risk-high reward type pick. I still like Howden at 32 if he drops, or maybe we can move into the late first and grab him.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011

Edmonton needs a #1 dman. If they can trade for one that's great, but if they can't, what other choice is there but to draft someone and hope they work out? A lot of the teams with elite #1 guys drafted them - the opportunities for trade are rare.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

No, but to be fair, if a team goes into the draft expecting to improve immediately, they're doing it wrong.

I'm probably more on the forward train, but I can definitely see it from both sides. Either way, you're waiting.

If the Oilers think one of the defensemen available will be better than/contribute more to the team than any of the forwards available, then that's what they should do.

I'm just not sure how much I believe that to be the case.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
There is a clear top-5 from what I can see, and Sergachev doesn't factor into it.

BPA over everything.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
That isn't great to hear, that they like Benson @ 32. That could change if he is either gone or a brighter scouting mind overcomes the crappy Bob Green influence to advocate for a better prospect than that.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No, but to be fair, if a team goes into the draft expecting to improve immediately, they're doing it wrong.

I'm probably more on the forward train, but I can definitely see it from both sides. Either way, you're waiting.

If the Oilers think one of the defensemen available will be better than/contribute more to the team than any of the forwards available, then that's what they should do.

I'm just not sure how much I believe that to be the case.

That's what our fan-base has done and still does. Look at the Reinhart brigade. You think they wouldn't push Sergachev out the door at the first sign of struggle?

This is the first year in several where I fully expect the pick to stew for several years before making an impact. Personally I hope we trade down and gain an extra asset.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
That isn't great to hear, that they like Benson @ 32. That could change if he is either gone or a brighter scouting mind overcomes the crappy Bob Green influence to advocate for a better prospect than that.

I think your getting your Benson's confused. Tyler Benson didn't play for Bob Green. Cole Benson did.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I think your getting your Benson's confused. Tyler Benson didn't play for Bob Green. Cole Benson did.

He's (Tyler Benson) is a local kid right? Played for the Giants. Green is good at spotting talent for the junior level, but he's also part of the old management group i.e. not one of Chiarelli's. I am admittedly speculating, but I can't help but feel that would be a Green type of call (to draft Benson at 32). He pulled that with the Reinhart trade. We'll see what happens, but personally I feel there are better options at 32 than a kid who had significant injury issues in his draft year and had an underwhelming campaign as a result.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Reminds me of how Brett Connolly was hyped.

I do enjoy the play of Benson and know others here who are high on him. I don't see him abailable come #32 though.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Draft a forward at 4 or trade down to 8 or 9. Arizona will probably take the 1st defenseman at 7 though so if you have one guy rated a lot higher that could be risky. Play Montreal and their love for a high end Quebecer (Dubois) and Buffalo's need for a scoring winger (Tkachuk) against each other to create a bidding war.

Getting exited for the draft. You know it's getting close to draft time when you find yourself singing, "Drove my Chevy to Juolevi, but Juolevi was Drai" along to the radio driving to work.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Benson is a good gamble at #32. He is a highly skilled player but just can't stay healthy. If I recall correctly he holds numerous Edmonton minor hockey league records?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I see this post every year, for 7 years now. Nothing wrong with drafting defence and waiting. Try and address immediate needs through free agency or moving other picks.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I see this post every year, for 7 years now. Nothing wrong with drafting defence and waiting. Try and address immediate needs through free agency or moving other picks.

nothing wrong with using picks in that "waiting" range on D. top 5 is for prospects that are ready now with no question marks IMHO.

The top D in this draft arent even that great.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
nothing wrong with using picks in that "waiting" range on D. top 5 is for prospects that are ready now with no question marks IMHO.

The top D in this draft arent even that great.

People keep saying this too. Sure it's nice to get a doughty, but for everyone one of them is a OEL, Karlsson, or Reilly. Clearly it's riskier but it's not without its reward.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
According to Matheson The Oilers made a Offer to the Jackets for the 3rd overall.

from everything i heard it was more the Oilers kicking tires to gauge value. Which is just covering your bases. It will show them what cost is to move up one spot, what cost should be from other teams to drop back. shows you if CLB is getting lots of talk on 3. if there is lots of opportunity to move that 3 it devalues 4... etc etc.

The fact they would kick tires and enter talks with CLB is self-serving in MANY ways,.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
According to Matheson The Oilers made a Offer to the Jackets for the 3rd overall.

Has to be a bigger deal with roster players that provides some cap relief for the Jackets. Hopefully Dubois is their guy and they aren't comfortable moving past #4. Logic says to just wait them out and see if they pass on Pulju but if the Oilers could kill two birds with one stone and get Savard back with Pulju that would work for me. I'd even have time for Foligno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad