Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Who would you guys be less sad to trade away at this point...Logan Brown or Colin White?

Brown easily but I'm biased in that I never was a big fan of Brown and even in his second half of his draft year I never saw anything that really screamed top line potential. I think he'll become an NHLer but not as good as some think. Wished we took McLoed but I understand why management felt like they could go for a longshot like Brown since we had White already.

For me easily White is the most valuable guy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Add to that that we have probably the perfect example of a median core thats not getting any better... hard to get excited about this team. We're banking on futures that won't be impact players until our current core is in its last few years and will have no goalie.

The team is playing well right now.

That's all we can ask for.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
??????

Michael Stone is a 26 year old top 4 RHD, probably an ok #3 and really good #4.

He is easily going to get a 1st rounder and prospect at the TDL as a rental, and he's one of the top UFA d-men this offseason up there with Shattenkirk.

Just because he plays in Arizona and you've never heard of him doesn't mean he sucks.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2145117

I agree with the last guy. "Quickly becoming overrated on this site"

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why would we trade Pyatt?

Because I'm looking at things further than this year. I don't think losing these guys make a huge difference this season, and I don't think these guys have roles further than this season. I'm tired of either finishing 9-10 and getting a ****** pick, or making trades to squeak into 6-8 and repeating year in and year out.

I see is as a playoff team this year with or without the addition of a top 6 anger and with or without the guys I mentioned. If we're able to get and value for them and also make the playoffs I'd make those trades.

Any trade we are going to make for a top 6 winger we're going to lose, you can quote me on that. We've never been good at the deadline, and we're at a point where we are going to make the playoffs regardless IMO.

Unless we're trading for a superstar, or a bargin bin, don't bother.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Because I'm looking at things further than this year. I don't think losing these guys make a huge difference this season, and I don't think these guys have roles further than this season. I'm tired of either finishing 9-10 and getting a ****** pick, or making trades to squeak into 6-8 and repeating year in and year out.

I see is as a playoff team this year with or without the addition of a top 6 anger and with or without the guys I mentioned. If we're able to get and value for them and also make the playoffs I'd make those trades.

Any trade we are going to make for a top 6 winger we're going to lose, you can quote me on that. We've never been good at the deadline, and we're at a point where we are going to make the playoffs regardless IMO.

As much as trade talk excites me, I'm inclined to agree. There's nothing available that makes us good enough to become contenders and trying to get there will only gut our prospect pool. We haven't had MacDaddy for 2 seasons now. It's not like we played with him and lost him, rather getting him back would have been a bonus. It makes no sense to talk about replacing him.

I want to make the playoffs, but I want to do it with this group rather than mortgaging the future. If these guys aren't good enough to make the playoffs this year then so be it - try again next year. If they can't do it next year again, time to blow it up.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I believe this team is a player or 2 away from contending. The current roster is probably good enough to make the playoffs but don't think they can win a round or compete with top teams in the east.
I think they should make a bold move now and go for it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brown easily but I'm biased in that I never was a big fan of Brown and even in his second half of his draft year I never saw anything that really screamed top line potential. I think he'll become an NHLer but not as good as some think. Wished we took McLoed but I understand why management felt like they could go for a longshot like Brown since we had White already.

For me easily White is the most valuable guy

Strange, i feel the exact opposite. I saw a big body with elite hockey sense and skill. Three things that simply cant be taught. He isnt going to happen automatically like all big players his development curve is a long one. He is also still growing so his body hasnt filled out yet. This injury has held him back but he dominated his peers at under 18.

White is almost the opposite style prospect, he is far more polished and physically developed. The thing you cant teach about him is his compete and care level, he's a hockey player. However his skillset limits him in that he wont be a top line player.

Mcleod is a very similar type prospect as White so given your current stance on who you like more im not suprised you would have preferred him at the draft.

I spoke with a few scouts that liked both Mcloed and Brown, they feel Brown has top line potential and a higher ceiling but if he doesnt make it as a scorer he could struggle to be an nhl regular while bith White and Mcloed will play in the league for a while. I am glad the sens took the player with the higher ceiling they wont win the big one without a player like that.

No guarantee Brown gets to be a first line guy id say the biggest question about him is if he has that level of compete that White has.

In short looking at what the sens currently have on the ice and in the system Brown is the more valuable prospect. However he could also bust and we know Colin White is going to be a player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Strange, i feel the exact opposite. I saw a big body with elite hockey sense and skill. Three things that simply cant be taught. He isnt going to happen automatically like all big players his development curve is a long one. He is also still growing so his body hasnt filled out yet. This injury has held him back but he dominated his peers at under 18.

White is almost the opposite style prospect, he is far more polished and physically developed. The thing you cant teach about him is his compete and care level, he's a hockey player. However his skillset limits him in that he wont be a top line player.

Mcleod is a very similar type prospect as White so given your current stance on who you like more im not suprised you would have preferred him at the draft.

I spoke with a few scouts that liked both Mcloed and Brown, they feel Brown has top line potential and a higher ceiling but if he doesnt make it as a scorer he could struggle to be an nhl regular while bith White and Mcloed will play in the league for a while. I am glad the sens took the player with the higher ceiling they wont win the big one without a player like that.

No guarantee Brown gets to be a first line guy id say the biggest question about him is if he has that level of compete that White has.

In short looking at what the sens currently have on the ice and in the system Brown is the more valuable prospect. However he could also bust and we know Colin White is going to be a player.

100% agreed.

Brown and Chabot are the only 2 prospects I'd have to be swayed to trade.

I'd love to keep White, but if we have to give up value and 1 of our top 3 have to go, I choose him 10/10 times.

The Sens are at a turning point where taking a gamble on a high impact player is much more valuable than getting a sure fire 2nd-3rd line guy.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yes, that's the one scary thing with Brown. We know he has pedigree and genes, so he should be able to fill out decently. We know he has great skill level.

The question is between the ears. How much does he want it, and does he have the personality to be 'the guy' in the NHL?

Thing is, we aren't going to be picking top-5 for the foreseeable future (unless we win the lottery, which is unlikely). So, the only high-end skill guys we'll be able to draft are the ones like Brown who have a question mark or two. It's nice to have safe picks that we know will be NHLers, but we also have to take a swing at these boom/bust guys once in a while, too.

....lol, it's just hard on the nerves when these kids don't have that nice, smooth development curve. :laugh:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I think that's a very good breakdown of the situation. I have to say I
think White is being underrated offensively, he has a lot of skill on top of his competitivness and 200 ft awareness on the ice. White is a lot more likely to reach his ceiling although Brown likely has the highest potential but potential is such a tricky term to use.

White makes players around him better and that's always been the case. He reminds me a bit of Stone with a Stepan attitude. His ability to defend is Stone-esque it's quite impressive. He's a coaches dream if you ask me. Brown isn't there in his development yet since like you say he has ways to go to become the players we think he could become.

Your last sentence is also what I'm really looking at. I think right now we need a guy that can step in and play valuable minutes. I think White has the ability to do that at the moment. When I look at a player, I like to look at the impact he'll have on the team and for me, I think that even if Brown reaches his full potential, he'll still have a similar impact on the team as White since White is just a more complete player.

I wouldn't trade Brown because I understand why we took him and it would really hurt to lose a potential player like that but for me the bottom line is I see a lot of risk in him not becoming much more than a tweener in the NHL but that's just me.

At the draft I was thrilled we took Dahlen and dissapointed that we took Brown so like I say, there's some bias in there I just don't like what I think Brown will realistically become (but the chance of him becoming what some think is worth it)

I think a good way to put it is I'm not high on Brown but I'd be torn between taking him or McLoed just based on potential even though I like McLoed more.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I'm curious about prospects Nick Paul & Jack Rodewald...has anybody seen them play lately? Paul was solid but dropped outta sight, and Rodewald is now 2nd leading scorer in Bingo after Varone.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I honestly think we have good leverage to sign Mike Stone as a UFA since his bro plays here.

Hopefully Melnyk doesn't go full miser and lets Dorion go after him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would keep Chabot for sure unless we get an unreal opportunity at a unquestionable top line player.

White vs Brown... This is a pay me now, pay me later kind of thing. White is better than Mcleod imo. More hockey sense. More finished. More finish.

White is closer to NHL ready but does not have the same ceiling. Brown could be a top line Center; IMO White is a 2/3 tweener maybe tops out as a 2nd liner but the kind you want and the kind that will help you win and he is very close to being able to help this team sooner.

So given the Sens apparent modus operandi with goals set to make the playoffs and see what happens vs contend with the top teams , which imo would have required a more extensive rebuild, I think they would be more apt to keep White. (rightly or wrongly)

It would obviously come down to what the other team in a trade values more as well.

My preference would be to keep all 3 of these guys. I think we should be using our farm system to bring up guys like Varone and McCormick and give them a real opportunity to succeed. Maybe Varone could move Pyatt down to the 4th line.
Pyatt Lazar McCormick and spot in Kelly or Neil for Lazar or McCormick as required. So 2 guys sit.

Also this year's draft . although not deep could produce another quality prospect.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So, Condra is on waivers this morning. He would upgrade our 4th line significantly, and would be happy to come back to Ottawa...

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Dennis Bernstein: Think that the Senators could be a player in Coyotes Radim Vrbata. They have lots of salary cap space, and his bonus clauses won’t be an issue.

Thoughts?

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Dennis Bernstein: Think that the Senators could be a player in Coyotes Radim Vrbata. They have lots of salary cap space, and his bonus clauses won’t be an issue.

Thoughts?

It depends on the price, I'm wary about expending assets on a 35 year old upcoming UFA

Also, if he's getting top 6 minutes and PP time in Arizona, he probably won't here so his numbers likely drop

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think adding a depth player like Jannik Hansen ( a 2/3 line winger of that ilk) and bolstering our 4th line could be the difference in winning a round or 1 and done. (presuming we make it either way). No direct pass to the cup finals :laugh:

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa

Thoughts?

Bonus clauses won't be an issue because they won't move past round 1? So why acquire him? lol

Honestly Vrbata and Hanzal are going to cost 1st round picks or even 2nds, not worth it. I'd rather Dorion go after bottom 6 help and D help. Condra, Purcell, Brendan Smith, Parenteau to name a few.

I know this is complete wishful thinking, but is there any chance OTT could look at trading Ceci for an impact F and acquiring Cody Franson from BUF to pair with Dion?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
100% agreed.

Brown and Chabot are the only 2 prospects I'd have to be swayed to trade.

I'd love to keep White, but if we have to give up value and 1 of our top 3 have to go, I choose him 10/10 times.

The Sens are at a turning point where taking a gamble on a high impact player is much more valuable than getting a sure fire 2nd-3rd line guy.

Same for me.

Management played it safe for a while and we seem to have a good foundation.

Time to swing for the fences.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Well, who are we thinking of trading White/Brown for? If it's for a top line player, and the team values both prospects, then obviously I trade Brown cause of his bust factor. White's already gonna be a player soon while Brown is gonna be a player in 3 years and may be a top liner at that. Might as well get Brown soon and help in White too.

What are you talking about? You say we are gonna make playoffs with our current roster but then you say we can trade Pyatt and we're basically no worse for wear?

You do realize Pyatt has more points than our entire 4th line combined right? He is 4 points away from superstar Bobby Ryan. He is 4th in the team in SHTOI per game. Our Pk is 11th which is enormous improvement over last year and he plays a big part.

Who do you honestly think is gonna replace Pyatt's value to this team internally? I get afraid when Lazar gets injured cause we dont know whos gonna replace him let alone Pyatt loool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad