Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Players on my "Realistic Wish-List":

F

1. Josh Bailey, NYI - 3.3m, UFA 2018, 6-23-29 in 43gp
The time has come to replace MacArthur, and Bailey is a good option to do so. Bailey is less of a goalscorer, which makes him a somewhat less than ideal option, but he is inexpensive, signed beyond this season, pretty good all-around and seems like he would be available for a reasonable price.

2. Brian Boyle, TBL - 2m, UFA, 11-5-16 in 41gp
Boyle is a big, positionally versatile playoff monster. Wreaked havoc against us as a Ranger and has gone on plenty of long runs since them (with varying success, but always as a useful role player - and generally as a useful secondary scorer). Would be a huge boost to our bottom 6.

3. Patrick Eaves, DA: - 1m, UFA, 16-11-27 in 46
Wow, what a year for Patty. I really wanted the Sens to bring him back this year, but obviously he has strong ties in Dallas. Who knows if they are willing to trade him, even if they are out of the playoff picture by the Deadline. Eaves, who plays left and right wing, is in the midst of a career season, needing 5 more points and 4 more goals to top the career bests he set in his rookie and sophomore season with Ottawa. Eaves would likely just be a rental, but he would be a difference making rental. He could play with any of our top 3 centers as their RW, and while I would be shocked if he continued his pace, I am confident he would chip in offense every 3 or 4 games at least.

3. Brian Gionta, BUF - 3.25m, UFA, 9-12-21 in 44gp
Speedy, versatile, solid defensively and a great locker-room presence. Far from what he used to be, but G is still a good player when used in a depth role. Would look good on Pageau's wing, or maybe Brassard's. Only concern is his size, but G has always played with an edge.

4. Jason Chimera, NYI - 2.25m, UFA in 2018. 8-8-16 in 43gp
At 37, the extra year on his contract is definitely a concern, but his play this season has been solid enough to alleviate some doubts about his ability to be a contributor for another year. Super speedy character winger who has developed into an inconsistent 15 goal guy. Having an okay year this year, would provide speedy and skill to the bottom 6. Sort of an over-the-hill Zack Smith, but I think he'd be a nice add for the next 2 years. Only concern is, his play tends to range from "good 4th liner" to "good middle 6er". That is similar to the next guy on my list, but Chimera's play comes with a higher floor as well as a higher ceiling.

5. Shawn Matthias, WPG - 2.125, UFA in 2018, 6-2-8 in 23gp
Matthias has pretty consistently paced between 20-30pts as a LW or C. Ok defensively for a C, great size and good skating, and a pretty good goal scorer. It is always tough to get a read on him - his "range" goes from okay 4th liner to very good 3rd liner, and a lot of how he performs depends on fit. That said, I am willing to take a chance on him being an overpaid 4th liner for a year and a bit, due to the potential upside of gaining an underpaid 3rd liner for a year and a bit.

6. Drew Stafford, WPG - 4.35m, UFA, 4-8-12 in 33
A big, versatile winger who has always had goal scoring ability, especially as a depth player. Always leaves you wanting more, but could work out well as a depth rental. Likely wouldn't cost much.

7. Lauri Korpikoski, DAL - 1m, UFA, 6-11-17 in 46
Korpi has had a good year for the Stars in a bottom 6 role and has paced better offensively than he has in several years. Korpi is another guy who plays both positions, but mainly LW. He could be a good plugger on the bottom line.

8. Rene Bourque, COL - 650k, UFA. 9-4-13 in 41gp
His stats look okay, but keep in mind he has 1 pt in his last 15gp. Could likely be had for a late round pick, though, costs almost nothing, has good wheels and a big body, and could form a nice 4th line with Lazar and Pyatt.

HM - Players I'd like but don't see being dealt
- Palat
- Jannik Hansen
- Marcus Foligno
- Antoine Roussel
- Mike Fisher
- Anders Lee

I'll do DMen later
I agree with your first choice. Bailey is a solid pick up. Making less than I though as well

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Arizona isn't looking to compete this year or next. They are tanking as we speak.

What I mean is that there is always doubt about the future. Even if you fully believe they will become that, there is still the risk. Pretty sure they would want a young player who is already at their potential.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
We will probably just go bargain bin shopping and get Teddy Purcell.. who I think might actually work out. Thought for sure we'd claim him when on waivers.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Players on my "Realistic Wish-List"

Good job in compiling this together!

A few reactions:

Patrick Eaves, DA: - 1m, UFA, 16-11-27 in 46

I think there's lightning in a bottle for him in Dallas. 9 of his 16 goals are on that PP where Spezza has 12 of his 20 assists and Seguin has 10 of his 28 assists.

I'm glad to see him do well, but I could see his production drop way off with a change in scenery. If I were him, I wouldn't be dragged away from Dallas.

Brian Gionta, BUF - 3.25m, UFA, 9-12-21 in 44gp

I think we're already a pretty small team. I guess I see him as more of the same, where I'd be looking for skillsets in areas where we are weak.

Brian Boyle, TBL - 2m, UFA, 11-5-16 in 41gp

Here is a guy I would be interested in. Neil is hardly a physical presence anymore so that leaves a lot of the grit in the hands of Zack Smith. Brian Boyle would solve that immediately and he can contribute a little bit of pop too. Lots of experience as well.

Rene Bourque, COL - 650k, UFA. 9-4-13 in 41gp

Rene Bourque is a guy who for some reason I feel always scores his season totals in production in like a 5-10 game span and then does nothing for the rest of the season. He gives me that Randy Robitaille vibe.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Even if a GM is super high on Ceci AND super high on Brown, Ceci + Brown + 1st isnt enough for OEL.

While ive never smoked the Ceci, I have had some brown stuff that was terrible, regardless I agree OEL would essentially be like getting a second EK....unless he only wants to play with his buddy here in Ottawa the price is going to be massive!

Personally not expecting us to make an aggressive trade nor open up the wallet really.

Last edited:

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Brian Boyle would be a great addition. Size. Net front presence. Can score.

Also would love Boyle as a fairly realistic player to aquire.

Has Tampa made any comments or rumours from anyone close to Tampa about selling off players during this season?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
listening to the presser looked like brennan asked him the question about insurance and dorrion dodged it.

MARK ???: Are there insurance concerns at all?

DORION: Oh, that, I don't know Mark. I'm a GM, I've got my hands full running a hockey team. So as far as insurance and medical, at one point in time maybe doctors can speak on this. I can't speak about all these things.

You may be reading a bit much into that, MH.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Players on my "Realistic Wish-List":

F

1. Josh Bailey, NYI - 3.3m, UFA 2018, 6-23-29 in 43gp
The time has come to replace MacArthur, and Bailey is a good option to do so. Bailey is less of a goalscorer, which makes him a somewhat less than ideal option, but he is inexpensive, signed beyond this season, pretty good all-around and seems like he would be available for a reasonable price.

2. Brian Boyle, TBL - 2m, UFA, 11-5-16 in 41gp
Boyle is a big, positionally versatile playoff monster. Wreaked havoc against us as a Ranger and has gone on plenty of long runs since them (with varying success, but always as a useful role player - and generally as a useful secondary scorer). Would be a huge boost to our bottom 6.

3. Patrick Eaves, DA: - 1m, UFA, 16-11-27 in 46
Wow, what a year for Patty. I really wanted the Sens to bring him back this year, but obviously he has strong ties in Dallas. Who knows if they are willing to trade him, even if they are out of the playoff picture by the Deadline. Eaves, who plays left and right wing, is in the midst of a career season, needing 5 more points and 4 more goals to top the career bests he set in his rookie and sophomore season with Ottawa. Eaves would likely just be a rental, but he would be a difference making rental. He could play with any of our top 3 centers as their RW, and while I would be shocked if he continued his pace, I am confident he would chip in offense every 3 or 4 games at least.

3. Brian Gionta, BUF - 3.25m, UFA, 9-12-21 in 44gp
Speedy, versatile, solid defensively and a great locker-room presence. Far from what he used to be, but G is still a good player when used in a depth role. Would look good on Pageau's wing, or maybe Brassard's. Only concern is his size, but G has always played with an edge.

4. Jason Chimera, NYI - 2.25m, UFA in 2018. 8-8-16 in 43gp
At 37, the extra year on his contract is definitely a concern, but his play this season has been solid enough to alleviate some doubts about his ability to be a contributor for another year. Super speedy character winger who has developed into an inconsistent 15 goal guy. Having an okay year this year, would provide speedy and skill to the bottom 6. Sort of an over-the-hill Zack Smith, but I think he'd be a nice add for the next 2 years. Only concern is, his play tends to range from "good 4th liner" to "good middle 6er". That is similar to the next guy on my list, but Chimera's play comes with a higher floor as well as a higher ceiling.

5. Shawn Matthias, WPG - 2.125, UFA in 2018, 6-2-8 in 23gp
Matthias has pretty consistently paced between 20-30pts as a LW or C. Ok defensively for a C, great size and good skating, and a pretty good goal scorer. It is always tough to get a read on him - his "range" goes from okay 4th liner to very good 3rd liner, and a lot of how he performs depends on fit. That said, I am willing to take a chance on him being an overpaid 4th liner for a year and a bit, due to the potential upside of gaining an underpaid 3rd liner for a year and a bit.

6. Drew Stafford, WPG - 4.35m, UFA, 4-8-12 in 33
A big, versatile winger who has always had goal scoring ability, especially as a depth player. Always leaves you wanting more, but could work out well as a depth rental. Likely wouldn't cost much.

7. Lauri Korpikoski, DAL - 1m, UFA, 6-11-17 in 46
Korpi has had a good year for the Stars in a bottom 6 role and has paced better offensively than he has in several years. Korpi is another guy who plays both positions, but mainly LW. He could be a good plugger on the bottom line.

8. Rene Bourque, COL - 650k, UFA. 9-4-13 in 41gp
His stats look okay, but keep in mind he has 1 pt in his last 15gp. Could likely be had for a late round pick, though, costs almost nothing, has good wheels and a big body, and could form a nice 4th line with Lazar and Pyatt.

HM - Players I'd like but don't see being dealt
- Palat
- Jannik Hansen
- Marcus Foligno
- Antoine Roussel
- Mike Fisher
- Anders Lee

I'll do DMen later

Good post! Bailey could be a decent and realistic pickup but we would be buying high on him. From my observations, he is very much a hot and cold player. He'll get hot for 10 games and then kinda disappear for another 10 games. He's having a better season so far and he's cheap so I think he'd be a realistic option but I wouldn't give anything of significant value in a trade.

I'd be 100% onboard with Boyle. He's a great depth player with a proven record in the postseason. He'd be a huge upgrade to our bottom six. Not sure if Tampa bay is ready to give him up but I would love to have him on the team.

The rest is meh but I wouldn't say no to some of them if the price is right. Palat would be very interesting but he would cost more.

At this point, is it pretty much consensus that we are losing Ceci or Methot to Vegas? It'd be a shame to lose a top 4 defenseman for nothing without trying to get something in return for them before the expansion draft. Would it be more likely to see them traded at the deadline or after the playoffs but before the draft?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This way we don't lose Ceci or Methot in the expansion draft because we don't have protect Micheal Stone because he's a Free Agent, just make a side deal with his agent to sign him in the summer when the expansion draft is over. Only roster player you give up is Ceci and you improve your D big time with stone and your top 6 solidifies with Landeskog. All within cap reason with Mac out now.

OTT: Micheal Stone
Ari: OTT 1st round pick

OTT: Landeskog, 2nd round pick
Col: Ceci, White

Landeskog - Brass - Stone
Hoffman - Tursi - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Dzingel
Pyatt - Lazar - Neil

Methot - EK
Pheanuef - Stone
Boro - Wideman

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
MARK ???: Are there insurance concerns at all?

DORION: Oh, that, I don't know Mark. I'm a GM, I've got my hands full running a hockey team. So as far as insurance and medical, at one point in time maybe doctors can speak on this. I can't speak about all these things.

You may be reading a bit much into that, MH.

Meh. I'm pretty sure he knows these things.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This way we don't lose Ceci or Methot in the expansion draft because we don't have protect Micheal Stone because he's a Free Agent, just make a side deal with his agent to sign him in the summer when the expansion draft is over. Only roster player you give up is Ceci and you improve your D big time with stone and your top 6 solidifies with Landeskog. All within cap reason with Mac out now.

Hoffman - Tursi - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Dzingel
Pyatt - Lazar - Neil

Methot - EK
Pheanuef - Stone
Boro - Wideman

That's an overpayment for stone

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Don't most teams have cap guys and accountants handle the financial side of things and make sure dollars add up properly and there's no encroachment on the cap ceiling? I feel like GMs, apart from a cursory knowledge of how much a player makes, probably aren't in the know on specific technical aspects of contracts and provisions relating to insurance and other rare circumstances.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't blame him for dodging the question. He is announcing CMac has to shut it down and that he is devastated by that. ... IMO it would be insensitive to start a discussion on LTIR and insurance ramifications. Good on him for dodging it. It's like asking him , if we can trade Mac and a pick to dump his salary. Not the right time to discuss in a presser.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Hoffman - Tursi - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Dzingel
Pyatt - Lazar - Neil

Methot - EK
Pheanuef - Stone
Boro - Wideman

I am pretty sure a mediocre depth defenceman who is an impending FA, isn't worth a 1st round pick.

Heck if that's the case, a gritty leader like Boro could probably get us a top 10 pick.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I don't blame him for dodging the question. He is announcing CMac has to shut it down and that he is devastated by that. ... IMO it would be insensitive to start a discussion on LTIR and insurance ramifications. Good on him for dodging it. It's like asking him , if we can trade Mac and a pick to dump his salary. Not the right time to discuss in a presser.

Brennan being Brennan

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion said that now that the decision has been made public on Mac, that he expects to be fielding some calls based on earlier discussions he's had.

We could get some 4th line help pretty readily IMO and we should; and I think we should be going after a 2/3 line tweener winger or C that can play wing.

We should be willing to part with our 1st this year for a winger that can step right into our top 2/3 lines and contribute with speed, tenacity and goals.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We should be willing to part with our 1st this year for a winger
that can step right into our top 2/3 lines and contribute with speed, tenacity and goals.

Is the draft class really that weak?

And if it is, is that pick going to be valuable to anyone?

I'm genuinely curious.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd LOVE Boyle or Chimera. And i'd love to sign them for next year too. Beauty bottom 6 guys.

If we were t make an impact move I hope he circles back to OEL. That would be a serious add. Put Ceci on the table. Add Brown and the 1st. And if they need a sweetener maybe Lazar and one of Paul, Bailey, Gagne, Chlapik or Varone and they add Duclair.

Would impact both rosters.

If we can get OEL without giving back Chabot....

Karlsson-OEL-Chabot would wipe the east.

If we got OEL, does that make Chabot expendable?

Does that make Karlsson expendable?

I can't see us running all three guys.

Not really filling a need from a cap perspective.

If we can't get a JT, the next best way to contend is to have the best defense in the league and get OEL. We'd be unbelievable. I presume ANY talks begin with Chabot as a must in the deal but imagine if we somehow kept Chabot? He'd have his ELC and then maybe a 2-3 year bridge deal before we really have to trade him. We'd be ridiculous until then.

I think they should go after one of Palat, Jannik Hansen, Reider

We will... in the off-season tho.

Rentals are a waste unless you actually have a change of finishing top four.

Tbh, we must add one simply to get into playoffs. Not getting into playoffs would be enormous disaster for us considering the trajectory we are supposed to be on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad