Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part IV | Contract chart, cap info in post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Make out a mock Vesey jersey
Make a mock lineup card with him flanking Sid
Put him on a private jet to see the facilities and meet the boys.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Going to be a buyers market for goalies this offseason. You have potentially Bishop, MAF, Gibson or Anderson, and Reimer as a UFA.

Don't forget Howard, Lehtonen or Niemi. Pretty sure DET/DAL wouldn't have any complaints if someone wanted to take one of those guys off their hands. And Snow made comments about how he believes Greiss is a #1 - does that make Halak available?

Still, other than Gibson/Anderson, MAF is probably the best of the group. Doubt TB makes Bishop available.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Tampa Bay - Kevin Shattenkirk

Pittsburgh - Vladimir Tarasenko

St. Louis - Jonathan Drouin, Marc-Andre Fleury (750k retained), Patric Hornqvist, Olli Maatta

Has anyone ever told you that your proposals are awful?

You know, I'm Trevor Daley's second biggest fan (shoutout to vabm8), but his skating is his first, second, and third biggest strength, and now he has a broken ankle. I'd definitely be proactive about finding a legit top-4 guy this summer.

I agree with this. And at his age...that ankle injury may sink him.

http://thethirdmanin.com/2014/10/14...-development-coach-long-time-tortorella-ally/

The Globe and Mail had a story last month about Canucks’ defenseman Alex Edler. In the story, author David Ebner noted that last season Sullivan would constantly berate Edler when mistakes were made, which apparently didn’t do much to help build Edler’s confidence or turnaround a struggling season for one of Vancouver’s top defensemen.

Maybe explains how he approached Geno the last few weeks?

So Edler doesn't like to have a coach that's hard on him, is how I read that.

Schultz has a knack for managing to not get crushed when a guy has him dead to rights. Usually advances the puck intelligently in the process of avoiding death.

I think Schultz is a really good defenseman. If we can square his defensive lapses around (which I don't think he's really had any glaring ones here), he's a middle pairing defenseman. I really wish they would use him more on the 1st powerplay unit. Infinitely better than Letang, and he being a righty, and Geno being a lefty, they can just bomb pucks between one another. We're missing an opportunity there.

Why do we want Yak? We should probably stop thinking about flashy upgrades and think about two way guys like Hagelin. This team is winning by buying into the team concept and depth scoring. I certainly want to set up Sid and Geno with offensive upgrades, but those guys need to have a brain along with an ability and willingness to buy into a 2 way game.

I'm not saying Yak isn't capable of that, but would you take that risk by moving your most valuable "expendable" asset? I certainly wouldn't.

I agree. We have the blueprint. I wouldn't bring in any guys that don't fit that, and I don't personally see how Yakupov fits that mold. Schultz would probably have some pretty good insight on him, and I'm sure if the front office were kicking the tires on Yak, they'd ask Schultz for his opinion.

Kunitz had a very respectable series. But I think Rust is the wing that makes that line work, right now. Didn't he and Malkin skate together a ton while they were both recovering from injury? They seem on the same page.

He could be a viable long term solution there if they could upgrade Malkin's LW.

Kunitz went full Orpik t his season, and that's how you know it's time to let him go. It's pretty evident Kunitz has been saving his body this season, and he's just going nuts right now. He had a hell of a series. His hands are gone, but he played great otherwise.

Full marks to Kunitz for bringing it this series, but we'd be stupid not to move him while his value's highest.

Guy's been garbage for a year and a half. This is a dream scenario to trick some gullible GM into thinking he's a net positive asset, not to reassess his value to this team.

I agree.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Make out a mock Vesey jersey
Make a mock lineup card with him flanking Sid
Put him on a private jet to see the facilities and meet the boys.

It'll be interesting to see how this run changes peoples (FAs) perception of PIT and how good a team they are. It might... but I'm still not holding my breath for Vesey. I think he's either going to BOS or TOR. But it would be nice if he came here.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You know, I'm Trevor Daley's second biggest fan (shoutout to vabm8), but his skating is his first, second, and third biggest strength, and now he has a broken ankle. I'd definitely be proactive about finding a legit top-4 guy this summer.

I. Yeah... he might be fine. Do we know how serious it was?

I don't know if I'd prioritize a top 4 defenseman over the forward situation, but **** like this makes me nervous. At least he'll get an off season without any pressure to rush back.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

It'll be interesting to see how this run changes peoples (FAs) perception of PIT and how good a team they are. It might... but I'm still not holding my breath for Vesey. I think he's either going to BOS or TOR. But it would be nice if he came here.

I could see him doing something out of nowhere, but he'll probably end up in one of those. JR better be his most charming self with Vesey and talk up the situation because we're objectively a really nice spot for him. Weak LW depth, most likely 3 scoring lines to compound that, just the SCF with a roster remaining mostly the same, Crosby and Malkin. Offer him the cookies, JR!

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Daley has a broken bone, it isn't like he did his achilles or anything. Bones heal, one of the few things that heal completely really.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Who else do you like around the league that fits the mold of support player we should be looking for (Hagelin/PH type)? I really like Frolik as a possibility with Calgary likely to be after MAF this offseason. He gives you some dishing ability to play with star players as well rather than more of a blunt tool like Dupuis.

If we're going cheap, I'd like us to revisit Comeau. Same age as the core, worked well with Geno, can play up and down the line-up, hard-nosed style, and Sakic's in borderline Benning territory with his trades.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
If we're going cheap, I'd like us to revisit Comeau. Same age as the core, worked well with Geno, can play up and down the line-up, hard-nosed style, and Sakic's in borderline Benning territory with his trades.

I don't like Comeau's puck management in the neutral zone. Darren Helm is the guy I would like to see added.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I liked both Comeau and Stempniak here.

I don't like Comeau's puck management in the neutral zone. Darren Helm is the guy I would like to see added.

I'd love Helm, but he fits best on a 3rd line. Not entirely sure I'd want to bring him in as a top 6'er. Now if we're planning on giving Sid Kessel and Hagelin, then Helm could be a great guy to play next to Bonino on the 3rd.

Speaking of old Detroit guys, I was telling a buddy that Bryan Rust looks a ton like Justin Abdelkader did when we played them in the back to back finals. Puck hound that creates chances with his speed, and is sort of a pesty type player that causes turnovers. Hopefully Rust follows a similar career trajectory.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't see the need for a forward that isn't a legit top-6 LW.

XXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
XXX - Malkin - Sprong
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhnhackl - Cullen - Sundqvist

Wilson, Rust, Sheary fight for the extra spots / 13th forward, and then I probably bring in one legit top-6 winger if possible.

Kunitz gets moved and I probably try to move Fehr as well

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - XXX
XXX - Schultz

Pouliot, Daley, Cole up assets / players depending on how they heal / perform, but I'd be looking to make a trade for a legit top-4 D

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I don't see the need for a forward that isn't a legit top-6 LW.

XXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
XXX - Malkin - Sprong
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhnhackl - Cullen - Sundqvist

Wilson, Rust, Sheary fight for the extra spots / 13th forward, and then I probably bring in one legit top-6 winger if possible.

Kunitz gets moved and I probably try to move Fehr as well

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - XXX
XXX - Schultz

Pouliot, Daley, Cole up assets / players depending on how they heal / perform, but I'd be looking to make a trade for a legit top-4 D

Do you think Kunitz could get moved after the series he had? Also how likely do think it is fleury gets moved this offseason.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
As vanilla as Lovejoy is he had a pretty good series against TB, particularly since Daley went down.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Lovejoy looked alot like he did with Fowler in Anaheim. Maybe Maatta helped bring it out of him.

I really don't see the point of adding a 3rd line forward or a D-man of any kind. We have plenty of competition in camp for spots at forward. Unless we're talking an established 2nd line player, I'd wait for a trade to pop up during the season and bank the cap space we hopefully create this summer. 3 mil in space this summer for example is more than enough to take on whomever we want at the deadline and probably at a discount since we won't need to send salary back.

I think our defense is fine if you keep Schultz.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I. Yeah... he might be fine. Do we know how serious it was?

I don't know if I'd prioritize a top 4 defenseman over the forward situation, but **** like this makes me nervous. At least he'll get an off season without any pressure to rush back.

Serious enough that the only update Sully gave was that he was done for the playoffs. And that was given fairly quickly.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I don't get this idea that maf will land a stud. We've spent the last two weeks saying he can't get it done in the playoffs and the team was responsible for his wins, yet we want a team to gut their top four for him?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't get this idea that maf will land a stud. We've spent the last two weeks saying he can't get it done in the playoffs and the team was responsible for his wins, yet we want a team to gut their top four for him?

Who's saying we'll get a stud?

I'm fine with a 2nd or 3rd and a slight upgrade at forward. If it came down to it, I'd just take the cap space and a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad