Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part IV | Contract chart, cap info in post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Pretty sure that we don't qualify, he goes to free agency and then we can sign him for a reasonable cap hit. That's how it would have to go, but I think the Pens can talk contracts with him the whole time because he's a RFA. idk if they'd be doing that during a cup run.

I think he re-signs for something reasonable. He's going to the cup final after years with Edmonton and his career being in jeopardy. Schultz has gotten a taste of not sucking horribly and fits here.

I guess I'm just curious if we could have him sign an extension in June for less hit and not have to deal with the QO/UFA situation at all. Or does any offer we give an RFA have to at least be above the minimum QO?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I guess I'm just curious if we could have him sign an extension in June for less hit and not have to deal with the QO/UFA situation at all. Or does any offer we give an RFA have to at least be above the minimum QO?

I think you've got to at least match or exceed the qualifying offer (depending on cap hit).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Benning's supposedly blowing up the Canucks. Hansen is sort of a cross between Hagelin and Harry Zetuhp;giugng. Not as good as Hags, not as stupid as scrabblename, but still sort of fits what we're doing.

Though to be honest, I'm not sold we even need anybody at forward short of a Cullen replacement if he were to retire. And even then, Oskar might be able to do the job.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wish Max well, but the KHL is really struggling right now, and Russia's a fairly... dodgy place at the moment. It certainly wouldn't be my league of choice.

Yeah... were it an option, I would have just stuck with the AHL. Probably less money but much better overall amenities and stability.

It just occurred to me that the last time Malkin made a trip to the Finals... he had a Rusty on his wing. The man from the Iron Mountain must like him some iron oxide.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah... were it an option, I would have just stuck with the AHL. Probably less money but much better overall amenities and stability.

It just occurred to me that the last time Malkin made a trip to the Finals... he had a Rusty on his wing. The man from the Iron Mountain must like him some iron oxide.

I'm just kind of surprised he didn't get or take an offer from other Euro leagues. :dunno: He's the kind of player I always expect to see in the Swiss League for some reason.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah, but at least if he signs with Hershey, he's not getting paid in a brown paper bag by a guy with a glock in his other hand. Two weeks later than he's supposed to be getting paid.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, but at least if he signs with Hershey, he's not getting paid in a brown paper bag by a guy with a glock in his other hand. Two weeks later than he's supposed to be getting paid.

Yeah, and at half price too. The KHL has some really... sketchy owners- including some not-so-secret oligarchs accused of supporting the Ukrainian civil war.

Be safe Max. :shakehead

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Benning's supposedly blowing up the Canucks. Hansen is sort of a cross between Hagelin and Harry Zetuhp;giugng. Not as good as Hags, not as stupid as scrabblename, but still sort of fits what we're doing.

Though to be honest, I'm not sold we even need anybody at forward short of a Cullen replacement if he were to retire. And even then, Oskar might be able to do the job.

I'd definitely be on the phone with Benning. At the very least, we should be able to sell off a player we don't need for more than fair value with that guy on the other side of the phone.

I'm not sure they're blowing things up though. He's making changes, but if he wants to be a playoff team next season, I'm not sure Hansen on his steal of a contract is a guy I move unless I'm bringing in a better player. We don't have one to spare from my view of it. I do like the player though and the contract.

Who else do you like around the league that fits the mold of support player we should be looking for (Hagelin/PH type)? I really like Frolik as a possibility with Calgary likely to be after MAF this offseason. He gives you some dishing ability to play with star players as well rather than more of a blunt tool like Dupuis.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'd definitely be on the phone with Benning. At the very least, we should be able to sell off a player we don't need for more than fair value with that guy on the other side of the phone.

I'm not sure they're blowing things up though. He's making changes, but if he wants to be a playoff team next season, I'm not sure Hansen on his steal of a contract is a guy I move unless I'm bringing in a better player. We don't have one to spare from my view of it. I do like the player though and the contract.

Who else do you like around the league that fits the mold of support player we should be looking for (Hagelin/PH type)? I really like Frolik as a possibility with Calgary likely to be after MAF this offseason. He gives you some dishing ability to play with star players as well rather than more of a blunt tool like Dupuis.

I've liked Trochek as an under the radar guy for years (I was baffled when he was sent to the AHL two years ago), but it looks like he's not under the radar anymore and if he's negotiating a six year extension, that's not going to be in the cards.

Obviously a lot of the guys the Rangers are "listening on" could help us, but in their shoes, I would not trade inside the division unless I thought I was putting the screws to the other team. At least not until the NHL changes the playoff format. Right now, in-division trades are zero sum games. Every bit another team in your division gets better makes your life more miserable.

To me, "what do we do at forward next year?" is less of a pressing question than "if Fleury asks out, what do we want back for him and who is our backup goalie?" We can field a forward roster that's potentially better than the one we have now doing nothing more than trading Kunitz for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and nontendering Bennett. There's no guarantee that subbing Wilson, Simon, Sprong (etc) in for #14 makes you a better team, but it's not out of the realm of possibility (or even all that unlikely) that next year's the year where Kunitz backslides enough and Wilson/Simon/Sprong takes enough steps that that's how it works out. Or we could just dress the exact same forward lineup that's already working for us.

If Frolik were involved in some sort of trade involving Fleury, I could probably get on board with that. I mean, we could do a lot worse. The obvious guy on Dallas would be Nichushkin, but who knows if they're willing to part with him or if he'd even fit here. Eakin and maybe Roussel would help us, but I don't see why they would move one of those guys .

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A question for the CBA posters/lawyers: are we bound by the CBA to submit or decline to submit a QO before signing an RFA? Or could we just negotiate an extension for Schultz at a lower cap hit while we still have his rights regardless?

No. You need to submit a QO prior to June 30th in order to retain the players rights. However you're free to negotiate with them on any sort of contract either side is interested in prior to that. Whether the player signs it is up to them.

In most cases other than offering term, most players would not be all that interested in signing something for less than their QO. But then most players who have a QO of 3.9m have probably done a lot better over the last couple of seasons to the point where we wouldn't be discussing this. I think most will agree that JS will not get 3.9m from anyone, even in FA. So I don't think it will be a surprise if he signs for less than that prior to the deadline.

PIT also has the option to take him to arbitration, where they could get a (IIRC) 15% reduction in his salary (585k - so a cap hit of 3.315m). But that's only if the arbitrator awards the max reduction and then A) PIT cannot walk away from the award even if he's given 3.9m, B) you never know what exactly you'll get coming out of arbitration and C) I'm not really all that sure how beneficial that process is for the player and the team, relationship wise. I mean all the team is doing is dumping on the player in every way possible to get the amount as low as possible.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think you've got to at least match or exceed the qualifying offer (depending on cap hit).

Nope. Players making below 3m (or something like that) get an automatic raise of 10% on their QOs. However we can sign Schultz to whatever he will agree to. If that's 3x1m, then that's the contract. I doubt he'd do something like that, but legally as per the CBA, we could if both parties wanted to.

The only time the QO comes into play is if we can't agree to a contract prior to June 30th. Then we either need to give him a QO in order to retain his rights (and that would be at 3.9m) or we wouldn't give him a QO and on July 1st, he'd be a UFA.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That's a good point. I could see management being quiet this offseason, wanting to keep their goalie duo and allowing Kunitz to stick around another year. I can understand to an extent wanting to reward the youth that's stepped up and not bury them on the depth chart

I hope Fleury's agent gets in his ear and asks for a trade. That'll force us to at the very least clear up some cap space if not add a forward. Dallas and Calgary seem like prime destinations as both teams who are looking to compete now and have some of the worst goaltending in the league.

I wasn't real impressed with Nuke this season, but apparently he was injured to start the season. I'd take Eakin and a pick for MAF. Malkin apparently is never going to improve on faceoffs, and it'd be nice to have a C/LW on his line to take draws so we can use him in all situations.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Pouliot comes to mind.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Malkin apparently is never going to improve on faceoff, and it'd be nice to have a C/LW on his line to take draws so we can use him in all situations.

Malkin went 15/28 (53.57%) over his final two games in WSH and was 59.7% against Tampa (40/67).

No clue how sustainable this is... but he's gone from crap (11/20 - 35% against NYR and 12/39 30.7% in the first 4 games against WSH), to being good to very good over his last 9 games (55/95 - 57.8%).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Malkin went 15/28 (53.57%) over his final two games in WSH and was 59.7% against Tampa (40/67).

No clue how sustainable this is... but he's gone from crap (11/20 - 35% against NYR and 12/39 30.7% in the first 4 games against WSH), to being good to very good over his last 9 games (55/95 - 57.8%).

Fair enough, I still think you get him a guy who can take draws in the D-zone. I think those numbers are a bit skewed with how they deploy him.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Think of teams we could trade Fleury to.

Ottawa? Family lives near Montreal I believe

Anderson at 25% + Hoffman + 2nd for Fleury + ??

Capable back-up and would only be signed for two years. Get Hoffman too.

Think Hoffman is the RFA.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
No clue, but apparently he was available.

If that's true, he either asked out or Chiarelli has lost his mind. Or maybe he came to practice in the same clothes two days in a row. Dallas thanks Chiarelli for that particular peccadillo daily.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Think of teams we could trade Fleury to.

Ottawa? Family lives near Montreal I believe

Anderson at 25% + Hoffman + 2nd for Fleury + ??

Capable back-up and would only be signed for two years. Get Hoffman too.

Think Hoffman is the RFA.

I do not think that Ottawa is a realistic destination. And they're too cheap to retain salary on Anderson anyway.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton Pouliot? Guy's got real nice chemistry with McDavid. Real, real nice chemistry. I would be loathe to trade him for anything at all if I was Chiarelli.

I remember reading a post from an EDM fan saying they were trying to move him at the deadline, but he got hurt. If that's true, I'd be looking into that as well.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I do not think that Ottawa is a realistic destination. And they're too cheap to retain salary on Anderson anyway.

I'm thinking that if it is anywhere, it is a Canadian team.

Vancouver have a dumb GM who would do what JR says, most probably.

Calgary are having a goalie clear out I believe.

Edmonton could do with the help.

Montreal are set.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fair enough, I still think you get him a guy who can take draws in the D-zone. I think those numbers are a bit skewed with how they deploy him.

In his last 2 games in WSH, he took 2 DEF zone draws (1/2). I'm too lazy to go look up each faceoff summary from the TB series. But I think that has less to with him and more to do with how Sully uses his roster. I mean Sid only took 5 DEF zone draws in those games (3/5). Cullen however took 26 DEF zone draws while Bonino took 13.

Pretty telling how Sully was using his lines those 2 games. Defensive end was Cullen and Bonino, while neutral zone and offensive zone was mostly Crosby and Malkin.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
Going to be a buyers market for goalies this offseason. You have potentially Bishop, MAF, Gibson or Anderson, and Reimer as a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad