Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part IV | Contract chart, cap info in post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Yes but his qualifying offer is 3.9MM which the Pens certainly won't match. Once they don't match, he becomes UFA. I suspect he knows he's not worth 3.9 and will negotiate with the Pens on a short term low money "prove it" deal and it will be announced right after he becomes UFA.

Thanks. I knew his QO was high, I just wasn't sure what his FA status was.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I didn't hear anything about Daley needing surgery though? That seems like good news in the world of ankle breaks. It may heal 100% without permanent damage?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know, I'm Trevor Daley's second biggest fan (shoutout to vabm8), but his skating is his first, second, and third biggest strength, and now he has a broken ankle. I'd definitely be proactive about finding a legit top-4 guy this summer.

If Sully didn't have a less than ideal history with Alex Edler . . . :popcorn:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What's his history with Edler?

http://thethirdmanin.com/2014/10/14...-development-coach-long-time-tortorella-ally/

The Globe and Mail had a story last month about Canucks’ defenseman Alex Edler. In the story, author David Ebner noted that last season Sullivan would constantly berate Edler when mistakes were made, which apparently didn’t do much to help build Edler’s confidence or turnaround a struggling season for one of Vancouver’s top defensemen.

Maybe explains how he approached Geno the last few weeks?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Schultz went from literal hockey hell to playing an important role leading to the Cup Final. DK wrote that the dude was in disbelief in the room after.

I know that guys almost always chase the money, but I'm willing to wager he does anything to stay put.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
http://thethirdmanin.com/2014/10/14...-development-coach-long-time-tortorella-ally/

The Globe and Mail had a story last month about Canucks’ defenseman Alex Edler. In the story, author David Ebner noted that last season Sullivan would constantly berate Edler when mistakes were made, which apparently didn’t do much to help build Edler’s confidence or turnaround a struggling season for one of Vancouver’s top defensemen.

Maybe explains how he approached Geno the last few weeks?

Interesting. Yeah I would imagine Edler wouldn't want to play for him again. What do you mean about how he approached Geno?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Schultz went from literal hockey hell to playing an important role leading to the Cup Final. DK wrote that the dude was in disbelief in the room after.

I know that guys almost always chase the money, but I'm willing to wager he does anything to stay put.

I certainly hope so. He's been more than worth the third round investment. And not at all the dog many Edmonton fans were making him out to be. He was flat out impressive in all three zones the last two games, especially. And has done an admirable job in the big, big absence of Daley. His play (along with Maatta bouncing back) is a huge part of why they were able to absorb that loss. Which... honestly I didn't see happening.

Schultz still has some very, very interesting headroom in his development. I now have no doubt he was badly stymied in Edmonton. There is a lot for Martin and Gonch to work with, there. I hope he and his agent play ball because it would be in both parties' interest to get a deal done.

I love that he seems to have that knack for simply getting shots through. He hasn't broken it wide open, yet. But if he just keeps doing that... it'll pay big dividends at some point. And I can just tell he wants to be successful as evidenced by the extra level he's been able to find in his game since the team acquired him. That might not sound like the biggest deal -- wanting it. But it is.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Schultz has a knack for managing to not get crushed when a guy has him dead to rights. Usually advances the puck intelligently in the process of avoiding death.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I agree with this. I think he can come back and be fine, but there's no guarantee his skating is back to 100% next year, if ever.

Demers or Gogo are the UFA targets I'd look at, but trades are a possibility too. Or I suppose they decide that Schultz can be an on the fly top 4 promotion during the season with Pouliot as full time 3rd pair. A lot can happen between now and next year, but I'd certainly explore top 4 upgrade.

Dunno about Demers, but I'll be we're all shocked at how much Goose makes in UFA.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Dunno about Demers, but I'll be we're all shocked at how much Goose makes in UFA.

Most likely. It may not be the best use of cap space, but I'd at least consider upgrades. Lovejoy and Cole have played well, but it would be nice to get upgrades on one of them if we can.

I guess it depends on the direction they want to go with Schultz and if they think Pouliot can be a fit on a blueline with Letang, Daley, and Schultz.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
How about a package deal with Pouliot and Yakupov?

What could that potentially cost?

Why do we want Yak? We should probably stop thinking about flashy upgrades and think about two way guys like Hagelin. This team is winning by buying into the team concept and depth scoring. I certainly want to set up Sid and Geno with offensive upgrades, but those guys need to have a brain along with an ability and willingness to buy into a 2 way game.

I'm not saying Yak isn't capable of that, but would you take that risk by moving your most valuable "expendable" asset? I certainly wouldn't.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Why do we want Yak? We should probably stop thinking about flashy upgrades and think about two way guys like Hagelin. This team is winning by buying into the team concept and depth scoring. I certainly want to set up Sid and Geno with offensive upgrades, but those guys need to have a brain along with an ability and willingness to buy into a 2 way game.

I'm not saying Yak isn't capable of that, but would you take that risk by moving your most valuable "expendable" asset? I certainly wouldn't.

I would only want him if he came super cheap. I cant imagine his value being high at all right now. I dont think it would take Pooh to get him but maybe im not giving him enough credit. If hes cheap enough and theres no other option, hes a good buy low option considering his age.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I would only want him if he came super cheap. I cant imagine his value being high at all right now. I dont think it would take Pooh to get him but maybe im not giving him enough credit. If hes cheap enough and theres no other option, hes a good buy low option considering his age.

Sure if he comes super cheap, I'd take a flyer. I don't think he will be all that cheap and if he is, I don't know if Edmonton moves him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting. Yeah I would imagine Edler wouldn't want to play for him again. What do you mean about how he approached Geno?

I think it's safe to say that for about a 2-3 week spurt there, Geno was suffering with confidence issues. I think all of us commented that we were surprised Sully never rode him at all (at least not publicly, and there weren't any 'whispers' about privately). At the very least, he wasn't 'berating' over mistakes. I think the guy learned from his experiences in New York and Vancouver.

I could see that, but you're also asking him to take a potentially big pay cut. Can't see the Pens going much higher than 2.5M per, and I'm not sure he won't see offers close to what he's making now, especially if he keeps up his play in the finals.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think it's safe to say that for about a 2-3 week spurt there, Geno was suffering with confidence issues. I think all of us commented that we were surprised Sully never rode him at all (at least not publicly, and there weren't any 'whispers' about privately). At the very least, he wasn't 'berating' over mistakes. I think the guy learned from his experiences in New York and Vancouver.

Oh okay good. I thought you were saying Sully rode Malkin like Edler.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I wonder if anybody last night spoke to Stamkos at the handshake line and said something to the effect of, "come to Pittsburgh, Stammer."

I know speculation is he's already got a deal with Toronto but I don't believe that. And I know the speculation is he really doesn't want to play wing and prefers to be a center.

But playing right wing next to Sidney Crosby isn't a bad gig. Especially since he's likely to be placed there in September at the World Cup.

I'm sure it's not. But there's no way PIT can afford anything close to what he'll get elsewhere. I mean if he took a 2-3 yr deal around 6-7m per, we could probably swing it, with some other moves. But he would really really have to want to come here. And odds are he could get a lot more money elsewhere. I mean a dream scenario would be him signing here for 2 yrs at 5m per. But we all know that that isn't realistic at all.

Personally I'm not even going to get my hopes up. If something odd like that happens, great. But realistically, he's signing somewhere else.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How many 7+ million players can this team realistically afford? Sure we could fit him in for 1 year but then Dumo's extension, decision on Bones and Daley, etc. Not to mention Matt Murray isn't going to be cheap forever. I'd much prefer finding more Hagelin types (40ish point ES players that can skate and cost 4MMish)

I don't disagree. Cap wise we could make it work. That doesn't mean we should. But if the price is right, I'd absolutely consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad