2015 Draft thread. McEichel part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

Again, I would be extremely surprised if we end up using the Isles 1st. I would wager a lot that the pick is dealt before the draft starts.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Again, I would be extremely surprised if we end up using the Isles 1st. I would wager a lot that the pick is dealt before the draft starts.

For who? The O'Rielly dream seems to be slipping away.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
21 and 42 got 14 in 2012, but it was a weaker draft.

21-ish, plus 31-32, plus the Isles 2nd, should be enough to get into 11-14 range.

I'm hoping Barzal or Werenski slip.

These are two players, I could see Murray attempting to trade up to get if they fall in the pick 15 range. They both should go in the pick 10 range but I think Barzal would have the more likelihood of falling.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I don't know. I think Murray tries to trade up. Too many top ten types in this draft. A couple will fall. I'm hoping it's Barzal or Werenski.

Then I'd go after O'Reilly with 2016 and 2017 picks.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Perhaps Ottawa would be willing to trade. If they miss the playoffs and dont win the lottery it will be around pick 13-15. One of Konecny, Barzal or Werenski would still be there. Islanders 1st + Buffalo 2nd(31st) Might get it done.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
These are two players, I could see Murray attempting to trade up to get if they fall in the pick 15 range. They both should go in the pick 10 range but I think Barzal would have the more likelihood of falling.

If Buffalo gets Strome or McEichel, I like Barzal as a future RW.

Of the two, I'd love to get Werenski. Here forward, Buffalo's draft position will likely make wingers easier to acquire. Love to get the center and defenseman this draft.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Perhaps Ottawa would be willing to trade. If they miss the playoffs and dont win the lottery it will be around pick 13-15. One of Konecny, Barzal or Werenski would still be there. Islanders 1st + Buffalo 2nd(31st) Might get it done.

Ottawa will want Konecny.... we need to trade up a pick or 2 ahead of them.
Murray really liked Konecny's style and effort at the Prospects game.
He also has mentioned on WGR recently to liking the transition game of one
of the Otters defenceman. Not sure who.... or where in the draft they would go but
certainly something to keep an eye on.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Kylington could be the biggest steal of the draft. His skating looks as good as any defenceman. Watching some of his highlights going end to end with ease.

This kid was top 5 at the beginning of the year.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Kylington could be the biggest steal of the draft. His skating looks as good as any defenceman. Watching some of his highlights going end to end with ease.

Starting to look like a possibility without even needing to trade up. Would love Kylington.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I would somewhat like the Sabres to use their 1st, Isles/Blues 1st and their 2nd (this could also include trading up the Isles/Blues 1st and our 2nd) ...I would like this to be considered the best draft in the history of the franchise. Ideally, I want to see the front page of the Buffalo News with McEichel and the one or two other picks standing together in Sabres Jerseys.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
We need a top tier RW bad. Who are the best RW prospects that we could trade up for??

NYI 1st+#31+Grigorenko should get us to 12-15.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
We need a top tier RW bad. Who are the best RW prospects that we could trade up for??

NYI 1st+#31+Grigorenko should get us to 12-15.

Not needed right now. Murray can get that guy later. Buffalo needs a defenseman with their other pick, preferably a PP QB type. Defensemen need more time to develop. Get the RW next season.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Grigorenko + 31 to move up 5-7 spots?

No thanks.

Teams aren't trading out of elite prospects for a 2nd round pick and a 21 year old coming off an ELC with 4 career goals. We don't need quantity we need quality. And if we do want to move up even higher in the top 7-10 we will need a top 15 pick at least.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Ottawa will want Konecny.... we need to trade up a pick or 2 ahead of them.
Murray really liked Konecny's style and effort at the Prospects game.
He also has mentioned on WGR recently to liking the transition game of one
of the Otters defenceman. Not sure who.... or where in the draft they would go but
certainly something to keep an eye on.

In regards to the Otters defensman, I would bet he was referring to Travis Dermott. Kid can flat out play. Good all around, plays tough and smart. Probably needs to improve his skating a bit to be a standout at the show. Hoping the Sabres take him with the first second rounder.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

No one is going to trade to the 20s from the top 7-10.

except the players like Kylington and Konecny are not projected 7-10.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I don't know. I think Murray tries to trade up. Too many top ten types in this draft. A couple will fall. I'm hoping it's Barzal or Werenski.

Then I'd go after O'Reilly with 2016 and 2017 picks.

Yep if that 2nd 1st rounder ends up in the 18-22 range, I bet Murray uses it along with our other picks to move up and grab a guy he really wants. Lots of guys have the potential to slip in this draft that would be top 10 picks. No way we trade the 2016 1st with it being in Buffalo and changes to the draft lottery.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I'm all for Murray's stated strategy of using excess picks/prospects for guys further along in their development in order to accelerated the rebuild.

That said, I'd like us to use all three of our top picks (#1-2 + NYI 1st + #31) this year.

If this is really going to be one of the deepest first rounds in memory, I would like to get full value for the picks we have worked so hard to collect. A mid-late first and #31 pick like we have this year might not be as valuable in other years with weaker drafts.

Besides, it's not like once we get McEichel having other high picks won't matter anymore. We going to need to keep feeding the prospect pipeline with high-quality picks if we want to not just get good again, but stay good for a while.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not needed right now. Murray can get that guy later. Buffalo needs a defenseman with their other pick, preferably a PP QB type. Defensemen need more time to develop. Get the RW next season.

I don't think it makes that much difference if they add a defenseman high (first two rounds) this year or next year. It's a long-term need.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
It's not a string of numbers, it's an array. In other words, the order is irrelevant. 1234, 4321, 2314, etc are the same outcome on the probability chart, thus map to the same team winning.

To elaborate from the perspective of combinatorics, it's an unordered draw of 4 from a set of 14 without replacement, in other words a combination. (A lot of poker odds revolve around combinations)
2.jpg

The NHL draw is a 14C4, which gives us:

= 14! / 4! x 10!

= (14*13*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1) / (4*3*2*1) * (10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1)

= (14*13*12*11) / (4*3*2*1)

= 24024 / 24

= 1,001 possible combinations.

If order mattered, it would be a different formula:
1.jpg

and it would be called a permutation.

A little OT but I enjoy the maths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events