2015 Draft thread. McEichel part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Yep if that 2nd 1st rounder ends up in the 18-22 range, I bet Murray uses it along with our other picks to move up and grab a guy he really wants. Lots of guys have the potential to slip in this draft that would be top 10 picks. No way we trade the 2016 1st with it being in Buffalo and changes to the draft lottery.

There is a bit of a drop off after 15, and a huge drop off after 20. If the pick is below 20, I'm sure Murray will try hard to move up. Maybe 22+52 for 15 or 16.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
To elaborate from the perspective of combinatorics, it's an unordered draw of 4 from a set of 14 without replacement, in other words a combination. (A lot of poker odds revolve around combinations)
2.jpg

The NHL draw is a 14C4, which gives us:

= 14! / 4! x 10!

= (14*13*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1) / (4*3*2*1) * (10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1)

= (14*13*12*11) / (4*3*2*1)

= 24024 / 24

= 1,001 possible combinations.

If order mattered, it would be a different formula:
1.jpg

and it would be called a permutation.

A little OT but I enjoy the maths.

This :laugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't think it makes that much difference if they add a defenseman high (first two rounds) this year or next year. It's a long-term need.

True, but there's some sense in getting a defenseman now. They typically take longer to develop, which you know. Getting one now gets that guy onto the team sooner. Also, I like a lot of defensemen in this draft: Werenski, Provorov, and Kylington being three. I think the team needs another top 4 defenseman sooner rather than later.

I'd rather package the 2nd 1st and both seconds to get as high as possible and get one of those three mentioned above.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
To elaborate from the perspective of combinatorics, it's an unordered draw of 4 from a set of 14 without replacement, in other words a combination. (A lot of poker odds revolve around combinations)
2.jpg

The NHL draw is a 14C4, which gives us:

= 14! / 4! x 10!

= (14*13*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1) / (4*3*2*1) * (10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1)

= (14*13*12*11) / (4*3*2*1)

= 24024 / 24

= 1,001 possible combinations.

If order mattered, it would be a different formula:
1.jpg

and it would be called a permutation.

A little OT but I enjoy the maths.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
If Murray is able to somehow get McEichel and Konecny in this years draft I will be celebrating for the next 2 weeks in downtown Buffalo. Who is coming with me?

W0wHWPj.gif

If GMTM pulls that off, I will fly from Chicago to Buffalo to do so.
Smashing Labatts.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I hope Buffalo drafts Jeremiah Addison of the Ottawa 67s in the later rounds. Kid has really came into his own in his draft year and is a 1996 birth al we would only have to wait a year for him to be eligible to play in the AHL. And his got 6 goals already in the 1st round of the OHL playoffs

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
(Assuming we still own the Isles pick) How would you feel about McEichel and Svechnikov for our first round?

He seems like a playmaking type? If we're targeting a top-6 winger with that pick (which we should be, either that or a dman) then I'd rather it be more of a pure goal scorer. But I'm totally open to a boom or bust highly skilled player

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Can someone that reads lots of reports and watches lots of games give me a quick breakdown (a few sentences each) on these guys whose names get dropped on this board a lot:

Zacha, Konecny, Barzal, Werenski, Kylington

With so many enticing names, someone has to slip, right?

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
(Assuming we still own the Isles pick) How would you feel about McEichel and Svechnikov for our first round?

I'd feel very sexy about it and would probably have to touch my nipples. I won't believe we'll draft a Russian until I see otherwise though. Thankfully there should be a few good choices at that spot.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Can someone that reads lots of reports and watches lots of games give me a quick breakdown (a few sentences each) on these guys whose names get dropped on this board a lot:

Zacha -- Prototypical power forward, with speed. Reminds me a bit of Vanek, but faster. Not sure about his hockey IQ though.

Konency -- Does everything fast. Very good shot, good playmaker. Sometimes his feet move faster than his brain though. Reminds me of a stronger Ennis that is actually defensively very capable. High compete level.

Barzal -- Reinhart-lite. Great IQ, great passer, not as good defensively (though willing).

Werenski -- Raw. Big and lanky. Kind of reminds me of a mini-Myers in his earlier days. Not overly physical, but sound positionally. PPQB potential, while Myers is more of a trigger man.

Kylington -- Karlsson-lite, for better and worse. Fantastic, silky-smooth skater. High-end offensive potential. Sometimes can be a trainwreck defensively.

Bps21*

I'm great with trading the other 1st. Like the Kane trade you need to have established NHL players around all the kids. I'm fine with taking the BPA and waiting the three years to see them...but I'm even happier if a package for a good player that can take the ice with Reinhart and this year's pick can be had instead.

That said...I'd like to keep our own 2nd rounder. I enjoy the night after round 1 looking at what's still on the board and knowing we are up next. Hopefully another Russian drops and we pass on them so that everyone can lose their minds again.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo

If you'd like a little more in depth analysis:

Pavel Zacha
Keywords, unique identity traits: size, speed, shot, intensity
Room for improvement: sustaining offensive zone time, reads without the puck, supporting the play

And a more in depth view Long review

Travis Konecny
Keywords, unique identity traits: Intensity, skill, shot, speed
Room for improvement: Puck management, gear changes (mix fast with slowing down when it fits the play), thin frame, some small reads that make a difference in keeping possession of the puck

Matt Barzal
Keywords, unique identity traits: playmaking, vision, skill
Room for improvement: filling out his frame, consistency in defensive zone effort, wall play without the puck, can sometimes overhandle the puck and overcomplicate the play

Zach Werenski
Keywords, unique identity traits: competitive, shot, offense from the point
Room for improvement: defensive zone play, leverage and strength on his skates, more control in break-outs

Oliver Kylington
Keywords, unique identity traits: skating, shot, unique offensive weapon from the blue-line
Room for improvement: needs to fill out his frame, handling forwards down-low, net presence, gap-control and protecting middle of ice in defensive zone

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Zacha -- Prototypical power forward, with speed. Reminds me a bit of Vanek, but faster. Not sure about his hockey IQ though.

Konency -- Does everything fast. Very good shot, good playmaker. Sometimes his feet move faster than his brain though. Reminds me of a stronger Ennis that is actually defensively very capable. High compete level.

Barzal -- Reinhart-lite. Great IQ, great passer, not as good defensively (though willing).

Werenski -- Raw. Big and lanky. Kind of reminds me of a mini-Myers in his earlier days. Not overly physical, but sound positionally. PPQB potential, while Myers is more of a trigger man.

Kylington -- Karlsson-lite, for better and worse. Fantastic, silky-smooth skater. High-end offensive potential. Sometimes can be a trainwreck defensively.

Not meant to be aggressive...

I hate the vanek comparison for Zacha. Zacha seems to be a significantly more aggressive player, and a much better skater... I think Max Pac is a better compare

Konecny/Ennis is a decent compare, but it does a disservice to Konecny's shot. He can let it rip, while Ennis doesn't have a scorers shot.

Barzal reminds me of tim connoly, always trying to do too much with the puck, but a very well rounded game, but a bit passive

Werenski seems like one of the most boom/bust guys in the top 10ish

Kylington... I'm a huge fan, I think he's got game changer skills. He's a PP dream QB. He can set it up, run everything, and score. Part Karlsson, part Yandle, can his defensive game catch up?

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago

I hate the vanek comparison for Zacha. Zacha seems to be a significantly more aggressive player, and a much better skater... I think Max Pac is a better compare

Konecny/Ennis is a decent compare, but it does a disservice to Konecny's shot. He can let it rip, while Ennis doesn't have a scorers shot.

Barzal reminds me of tim connoly, always trying to do too much with the puck, but a very well rounded game, but a bit passive

Kylington... I'm a huge fan, I think he's got game changer skills. He's a PP dream QB. He can set it up, run everything, and score. Part Karlsson, part Yandle, can his defensive game catch up?

The comp for Zacha I keep thinking every time i see him is Kopitar with a mean streak. His skating is elite, he makes great rushes, big hits, gets nasty, has a great slapper, nice quick release on wrister...

I don't see anyway he slips. He'll be top 10 for sure.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Dude...you don't have to use that aggressive line with me. :laugh:

MaxPac is a MUCH better compare for Zacha. Brainfart there.....for whatever reason, I totally forget about him. Not sure why.

Totally agree that Konecny has a better shot than Ennis, I was more going for stylistic comparison.

And you know that I've been right there with you in the Kylington camp. I just hope his defense reaches the passable NHL level, because if it does, boy is his offensive game going to translate.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
If we somehow found a way to move up and snatch Zacha or Konecny, I'd be... I don't even know how to describe that. I'm not that high on Kylington though. I can kinda see why he's slipped. His development has dropped off a bit it seems and his defensive flaws are a concern. As a long term project he can turn out really good, and we do have a few really good D-prospects ahead of him so we could afford to wait.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
McDavid, Eichel continue to impress, lead their teams
By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

Erie Otters captain Connor McDavid, No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm ranking of the top North American skaters eligible for the 2015 NHL Draft, has his team in the semifinal round of the Ontario Hockey League playoffs.

Boston University freshman Jack Eichel, No. 2 on Central Scouting's midterm ranking, has helped his team reach the NCAA Frozen Four at TD Garden in Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad