Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who's the next head coach? Not Babcock - Pt. 2 - MOD post #917

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karate Johnson*

The best part of this has been Leaf fans denial.

Denial of what bad shape they are in, about how far off they are from contending, and about how they are eliminated from Babcock signing....

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 8m8 minutes ago
@TSNBobMcKenzie Rumblings of $6M+ per year in BUF for #Babs.

leave it alone detroit! don't try and match. have your chat and let it be a "hey, thanks for the memories, babsy-boy."

In all honesty, i didn't care this much about babcock last week, but now that we are one of the final two....i want to win. :)

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
What we do know is that its basically down to 2 teams: us and Detroit

Coming second in this "race" after appearing (to some) that we had this sewn up - that would be the height of irony. Two second overall picks and the second pick of the best overall coach...

Karate Johnson*

Did Babcock go through all of this just to get a higher offer from Detroit? Could have been his plan all along.

That may have been his plan, until Pegula said "here's 6 years $38 million"

Then Buffalo became a legitimate option.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
The best part of this has been Leaf fans denial.

Denial of what bad shape they are in, about how far off they are from contending, and about how they are eliminated from Babcock signing....

there are a few strange opinions and ..... abrasive statements.... from posters on the main boards. A few who have been regularly bashing the sabres all season. I think for some Toronto fans it's hard to see that they are gonna end up where we were two-three seasons ago. Especially after so many people were trashing our process. I don't blame them for burying their heads in the sand.

MCDJr244

Oct 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Based of what we've all heard I believe he goes back to DET, but it's obvious BUF has given him something to think about.

Hopefully DET doesn't budge off their last offer and he bolts for us.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
That may have been his plan, until Pegula said "here's 6 years $38 million"

Then Buffalo became a legitimate option.

True. That is pretty epic if true. 6 million per year. Would certainly give Babcock something to consider. Pegula is not afraid to go big.

Karate Johnson*

True. That is pretty epic if true. 6 million per year. Would certainly give Babcock something to consider. Pegula is not afraid to go big.

I love Pegulas attitude. If there are no restrictions in the rules for coaching salaries, scouting, etc then why not spend whatever is neccesary in that area to do the most to win.

Fans of other teams have used phrases like "too much to pay for a coach"

Why? What's the difference if you get the guy you want?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m1 minute ago
If I had to bet big bucks of my own money, I'd probably wager DET. If I could lay down a loonie or twoonie with a big payoff, I'd pick BUF.

Is this McKenzie? Sounds like he is pulling a Barnaby.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I wonder what the wait is. Sounds like Babs and the family ok with Buffalo but would rather Detroit. Money just too good to pass up.

You have to wonder why Detroit would pay Babs that much money when they feel they have a young Babs ready in the AHL. They pay Babs and lose Blashill.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
From @HeleneStJames: I think Babcock's either going to stay in Detroit or go to Buffalo. If Buffalo offers 5M, I think the Wings let him go.

Karate Johnson*

This place is going to get real interested late tonight or early tomorrow :laugh:

I love Buffalo sports so much. This type of stuff... Just totally screws up my whole day. Just checking Twitter all day, reading this board. I blow off everything g else.

It's great.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Very happy I have the day off today. Sticking to Twitter and going to pick up The Witcher in a bit to have a very productive day.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
From @HeleneStJames: I think Babcock's either going to stay in Detroit or go to Buffalo. If Buffalo offers 5M, I think the Wings let him go.

If that's the case, he's going to Buffalo. Given that the rumor was that Detroit offered Babcock $3.75m during the season, you have to imagine that Pegula's initial offer was above $4m, and probably closer to $4.5m. If this is true, he's not going to let $500k per year keep him from getting what he perceives to be the top coach on the market.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
If that's the case, he's going to Buffalo. Given that the rumor was that Detroit offered Babcock $3.75m during the season, you have to imagine that Pegula's initial offer was above $4m, and probably closer to $4.5m. If this is true, he's not going to let $500k per year keep him from getting what he perceives to be the top coach on the market.

Frank Seravalli from Philly media says BUF offer is north of $6M per.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
But the angle would be that Babcock never wanted to leave and never ever really considered it, just wanted to get Detroit to offer him more years and more $ by forcing their hand.

I hear ya. I am hoping it plays out like you just said, but then when we offered the 6 mill/year vs. say 3.5 max from Detroit Babs and Fam had to really sit back in their chairs and think about what that $ could do. I don't think they realized at first how much more we could offer, and hope they think it's just too good to pass up.

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 8m8 minutes ago
@TSNBobMcKenzie Rumblings of $6M+ per year in BUF for #Babs.

Boooom. ALthough it would be maybe slightly embarassing if we still couldn't pull him away for so much more $. Maybe that's not the right word.

I love Buffalo sports so much. This type of stuff... Just totally screws up my whole day. Just checking Twitter all day, reading this board. I blow off everything g else.

It's great.

You and me both!:laugh:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Bold prediction: We hire Babcock to a monstrous, 6million per year contract. That pisses Bettman and the owners off, so they pass some resolution that folds coaching salaries and player salaries together into one salary cap. I know it's probably not doable under the CBA and the NHLPA would right it, but oh the horror :laugh:

Karate Johnson*

It's not embarrassing really. We know we are up against his home, and where his wife wants to be.

That makes it neccesary to give him a reason to come here, and what we can offer is money.

If he still chooses Detroit over money and a growing team then it was always going to be Detroit. (Assuming the rumored #'s are close)

Karate Johnson*

Bold prediction: We hire Babcock to a monstrous, 6million per year contract. That pisses Bettman and the owners off, so they pass some resolution that folds coaching salaries and player salaries together into one salary cap. I know it's probably not doable under the CBA and the NHLPA would right it, but oh the horror :laugh:

I had this same though a few minutes ago. Would be typical NHL behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad