Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who's the next head coach? Not Babcock - Pt. 2 - MOD post #917

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Lindy was fired on mine. Great B-Day present at that time.

All men could only dream to be as fortunate on their birthday!

Sounds like Babs is staying put.

Either he goes for the cash grab and comes here, or he stays where he is.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

Six million clams + is a lot of clams though.

And it's not just the cash. I bet Pegula offered him a lot of TERM which might be even more valuable.

Karate Johnson*

Do i seem like the kind of guy to joke with on a day like today?!!?

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
Still believe it's between us and Detroit. Also think most likely Detroit where he knows who he is comfortable with in ownership and management. If money is even close why change?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

I'm hoping the Sharks take DeBoer first to eliminate him as a backup plan for Murray, and that Bylsma remains available, should Babcock stay in Detroit.

Bold prediction: We hire Babcock to a monstrous, 6million per year contract. That pisses Bettman and the owners off, so they pass some resolution that folds coaching salaries and player salaries together into one salary cap. I know it's probably not doable under the CBA and the NHLPA would right it, but oh the horror :laugh:

What if the league punishes Pegula like they did NJ for circumventing the cap with Kovalchuk's front-loaded deal - meaning, taking away their 1st round pick this year? :eek:

Don't think it will ever happen but the NHL has made some illogical decisions before....

It's not embarrassing really. We know we are up against his home, and where his wife wants to be.

That makes it neccesary to give him a reason to come here, and what we can offer is money.

If he still chooses Detroit over money and a growing team then it was always going to be Detroit. (Assuming the rumored #'s are close)

Sometimes, fate is what it is and things are just not meant to be....I remember Regier saying that the Sabres were prepared to give both Parise and Suter the same contracts they signed in Minnesota but the players just wanted to play in Midwest where their college careers were. And we all remember Pronger's wife more or less being the primary reason he asked for a trade out of Edmonton right after the SCF.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Bold prediction: We hire Babcock to a monstrous, 6million per year contract. That pisses Bettman and the owners off, so they pass some resolution that folds coaching salaries and player salaries together into one salary cap. I know it's probably not doable under the CBA and the NHLPA would right it, but oh the horror :laugh:

There's a 0% chance of something like that happening. The owners could unilaterally put some sort of cap on coaches' salaries, but there's absolutely no way they could then use that to cut the players out of money. At most they could try to work something into the next CBA, but there's absolutely no way the PA would agree to that. It makes no sense from a labor perspective. "Huh, you want to be able to pay the workers less by paying middle management more? That's a great idea!"

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Still believe it's between us and Detroit. Also think most likely Detroit where he knows who he is comfortable with in ownership and management. If money is even close why change?

Sometimes people want a change.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
PGkY5lk.gif

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I'm just itching for news on this. Are any of you concerned about Babcock's ability to work with young players? I think a major difference is that unlike Detroit we don't have a million vets to bury promising young guys in the depth chart

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I'm just itching for news on this. Are any of you concerned about Babcock's ability to work with young players? I think a major difference is that unlike Detroit we don't have a million vets to bury promising young guys in the depth chart

This is a fiction created at and perpetuated by, almost exclusively, internet chat forums.

As Pete Rose once said, you can only relate to a player in one of three ways:

1) you can kick him in the ass
2) you can pat him on the back
3) you can leave him alone

The trick is in knowing which approach to take with each player on your team.

All good coaches and all good managers/leaders understand this.

Any good coach, including Mike Babcock, knows how to coach and develop young players, old players, veterans, superstars, journeymen, and everyone else.

Don't worry about it.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

I definitely am - that's the main reason I see Blashill as a better fit than Babcock. Babcock is accomplished enough and has always relied on his veteran stars to deliver - I just don't know how forgiving (especially with all of the characterizations from people who know him about him having no patience in losses) he'll be with the 18-22 year olds. Instead of nurturing and developing them, he may intimidate them a bit with his reputation and demand for instant results. Blashill seems to have more of a teacher's mindset where he'll push his players hard for their best but understand the learning curve that will have to exist.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I'm not sweating this decision. Nothing like how I was for finishing last. The emotional rollercoaster there. Sheesh.

I don't think we'll know for sure until tomorrow, an official announcement anyway. If we get him great, but GMTM has a backup plan in case.

We've done everything we can as a team to get him. If we don't it's because HE decided not to come here. We tried. We'll get a coach.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
I think if I had to pick between:
A.) winning the lottery and getting McDavid

Or

B.) Losing the lottery, but getting Eichel AND Babcock,

I'd take option B.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Graham doesn't float "guesses" if he's even hinting at this, it's 100% legit.

Im sure graham is quoting this source accurately, but the source is acknowledged to be prognosticating himself.

Karate Johnson*

I'm not sweating this decision. Nothing like how I was for finishing last. The emotional rollercoaster there. Sheesh.

I don't think we'll know for sure until tomorrow, an official announcement anyway. If we get him great, but GMTM has a backup plan in case.

We've done everything we can as a team to get him. If we don't it's because HE decided not to come here. We tried. We'll get a coach.

AND he gonna stay home if he doesn't come here.

That's one thing we could never compete with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad