Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who's the next head coach? Not Babcock - Pt. 2 - MOD post #917

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Im sure graham is quoting this source accurately, but the source is acknowledged to be prognosticating himself.

I'm saying Graham doesn't even open his mouth unless this is legit news. He was all over the Bills sale, pretty clearly his source is someone with real ties to the Pegulas

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I trust Tim Murray more than Darcy Regier but this reeks of just going after something to "win" at something regardless if it's the best fit for the team.

Lose two lotteries in a row? Better win this coaching lottery.

Lose out on every free agent out there year after year including Brad Richards? Better snatch up Leino.

In no way am I comparing Babcock to Leino as far as accomplishments but Leino was a complete miscast (partly thanks to Lindy Ruff's mysterious game footage from 2004 Finland where Leino played Center really well which Ville himself had no recollection of) but he was the best available forward at that point and we went all in for him just to say we won at something.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I trust Tim Murray more than Darcy Regier but this reeks of just going after something to "win" at something regardless if it's the best fit for the team.

Lose out on every free agent out there year after year including Brad Richards? Better snatch up Leino.

In no way am I comparing Babcock to Leino as far as accomplishments but Leino was a complete miscast (partly thanks to Lindy Ruff's mysterious game footage from 2004 Finland where Leino played Center really well which Ville himself had no recollection of) but he was the best available forward at that point and we went all in for him just to say we won at something.

You don't think they'd be after Babcock regardless of previous seasons? That's a pretty terrible way to look at it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You're really grasping with this.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

tumblr_inline_ndki60l6Hd1r28euw.gif

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Except Babcock is a proven future hall of fame coach. Not sure how that can backfire.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I don't see what Tim Murray has to do with it beyond saying "this guy is my top candidate to be our coach". Then Pegula says "what's it going to take?" What's Murray doing that's above and beyond here?

Karate Johnson*

He can have my family. My wife is way younger and better looking than his and my kids are really cute.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State

Disagree - you can fault the franchise for a LOT of stuff over the past 8 years, but this isn't one of them. Babcock knows what he's getting himself into if he comes here, and better a proven excellent coach than another Eakins/Rolston wildcard type (IMO).

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
You're really grasping with this.
Not really. They basically had to double Detroit's offer. Vogls report basically said the reason he is choosing Buffalo is because it's too much money to pass up. McKenzie said if he chooses Buffalo it will be because the offer is so huge.

You add that on to the fact that he is not a young player coach and you have to stand back and ask why is this the coach we chose? And not just chose but doubled the offer of the other team he was considering. Yes they really a) want him here and b) he's one of the best coaches in the game but why go to such extremes when he may not even be a great fit? Which is why I said that I trust Tim Murray here and hope that he knows something about Babcock that most don't. He obviously has a good feeling that Babcock can work with young players as well as other coaches. I remain skeptical and hope to be proven wrong.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Disagree - you can fault the franchise for a LOT of stuff over the past 8 years, but this isn't one of them. Babcock knows what he's getting himself into if he comes here, and better a proven excellent coach than another Eakins/Rolston wildcard type (IMO).

Not get off topic but anyone else see the news about Coyotes firing their entire minor league coaching staff? I could see Regier lobbying to put Rolston in charge there in lieu of the scouting gig he has now. What better way to ensure the tank at the NHL level than have the prospects being recalled from minors taught to lose? :sarcasm:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Not get off topic but anyone else see the news about Coyotes firing their entire minor league coaching staff? I could see Regier lobbying to put Rolston in charge there in lieu of the scouting gig he has now. What better way to ensure the tank at the NHL level than have the prospects being recalled from minors taught to lose? :sarcasm:

Pretty sure he already is. There were Arizona fans talking about it the other day.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm saying Graham doesn't even open his mouth unless this is legit news. He was all over the Bills sale, pretty clearly his source is someone with real ties to the Pegulas

Just read the full piece of you haven't. The first line says the decision will be made with his family tonight and the source is offering a "prediction." Even the most credible reporter can't make a source that is not pretending to know if Babcock had actually decided or not into something its not.

It's no diss to graham, he's absolutely correct in relaying what he has, I'm sure.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I imagine a credible source will get some type of confirmation tonight and we should know before it's announced tomorrow.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not really. They basically had to double Detroit's offer. Vogls report basically said the reason he is choosing Buffalo is because it's too much money to pass up. McKenzie said if he chooses Buffalo it will be because the offer is so huge.

You add that on to the fact that he is not a young player coach and you have to stand back and ask why is this the coach we chose? And not just chose but doubled the offer of the other team he was considering. Yes they really a) want him here and b) he's one of the best coaches in the game but why go to such extremes when he may not even be a great fit? Which is why I said that I trust Tim Murray here and hope that he knows something about Babcock that most don't. He obviously has a good feeling that Babcock can work with young players as well as other coaches. I remain skeptical and hope to be proven wrong.

You don't think he can work with young players. Thats fine. But then you took that concern and grew it into a silly pet theory that Murray is obsessed with winning something. He isn't thinking about whats best for the team he right now. He's just trying to "win" something. Then you used situations that have little to no parallel to this to try and back this silly theory. That's called grasping.

Murray knows Babcock and wants to hire him. He's actually available and we have the financial resources to try and pry him from Detroit. It really doesn't get any more straight forward than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad