Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who's the next head coach? Not Babcock - Pt. 2 - MOD post #917

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Is Holland allowed to stop Blashill from seeking a promotion elsewhere? Blashill's supposed to stagnate in Grand Rapids and hope Babcock leaves in two years?

I am pretty sure he can stop him, Especially block Divisional Rivals out of the equation. Kind of be a slap in the face. and Say.. Naa not Buffalo, Here is San jose.

The Blashill contract is really secret for some reason *shrug* They only show the Money and the length really.

Bps21*

Blocking someone from a promotion after extending guy in the position he wants to be promoted to in your organization is a bad look. I understand blocking him until Babcock decides, you don't want to risk losing both and if he leaves Blashill gets his job...but if he stays...you have to let him pursue that promotion. It's more than just a dick move...it's a "every coach will see this and why would they work for you in the future" move. It's not how people do business.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I am pretty sure he can stop him, Especially block Divisional Rivals out of the equation. Kind of be a slap in the face. and Say.. Naa not Buffalo, Here is San jose.

The Blashill contract is really secret for some reason *shrug* They only show the Money and the length really.

Blocking your AHL-coach from getting a shot in NHL is the best way to destroy your relationship to that coach as well as to give other inexperienced, yet potential coaches a signal not to go to Grand Rapids if you seek a HC vacancy in NHL.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Blocking someone from a promotion after extending guy in the position he wants to be promoted to in your organization is a bad look. I understand blocking him until Babcock decides, you don't want to risk losing both and if he leaves Blashill gets his job...but if he stays...you have to let him pursue that promotion. It's more than just a dick move...it's a "every coach will see this and why would they work for you in the future" move. It's not how people do business.

if babcock is signed long-term (only option for me) i'd assume that if blash wants to move on, holland doesn't block him... he might not like it but i'd assume he lets him go. not holland's style to not let him move on if one wants to do so.

no sense keeping him if he wants to coach somewhere else, that might hurt more than help.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Blocking your AHL-coach from getting a shot in NHL is the best way to destroy your relationship to that coach as well as to give other inexperienced, yet potential coaches a signal not to go to Grand Rapids if you seek a HC vacancy in NHL.

Im just saying it could happen, It probably wont though.

But if Blash going to Buffalo scares you.. why not promote him if he is obv a great coach????

This is why I think Babs is gone.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
If Detroits offer is 4 years at $3.25

And Buffalo's is 6 years at sat $5.25 (north of $5mil)

That's a difference of a guaranteed $12,000,000 over the life of the deal. Nobody is turning that doe for a hometown discount. That's generational money.

You're missing the income made after the four year deal is done. Makes things closer.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
You're missing the income made after the four year deal is done. Makes things closer.

He isn't missing that income. He said guaranteed money. There is no guaranteed money after that 4 years. We can speculate how much he would make in those years but that is still speculation versus guaranteed income.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

3 mil for 4 years, Thats 12 mil

5 mil for six years, Thats 30 mil

And there is no guarantee that Babcock gets more money/signs another extension with Detroit after the 4 years

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Babcock is leaning towards re-signing with the Detroit Red Wings on a short-term basis, a source told the Star.

www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/...h-dakotas-dave-hakstol-as-new-head-coach.html

I don't know why Detroit would give him a short term deal.

Let's say he goes into Holland's office and says "I'll come back on a 2 year, 8 M total deal" they may simply say "You have our final offer" and walk away.

Think about it. They lose Blashill now and likely will lose Babcock when the 2 years is up. Is that enough time to groom an assistant/AHL coach?

We don't know what Bab's true motivations are. What I have inferred from what has been said is that he feels there is a transition period fast approaching for the Wings. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall are all over 34. They have a decent youth movement coming, but really lack the franchise building blocks ("we've won a little too much", his words).

Think about where Holland has taken him. To Grand Rapids to see the kids on the farm and to the World Championships to see Dylan Larkin. Holland appears to be selling him that the transition won't be too bad. Even during the interview on TSN with him in the room, he sold the "we made the playoffs on the backs of our young players".

To go back to the sportsnet interview they posted about him here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mike-babcock-perfectionist/

He nods and explains in a voice he shares with Rocky Balboa: “I don’t know what it’s like in your business. But in mine: If you’re not getting better, you’re getting passed.â€

His players say he uses that line over and over to instill his philosophy on life and the game. I try fishing for something deeper. “So what drives Mike Babcock?â€

He readjusts his position on his stool and for a moment it seems he might give the question some thought before he responds. But he already knows exactly what he wants to say: “I’d like to be the best coach in my generation.â€

Based on what he's said there, my best guess is that he wants to win more cups. Does he want to coach into his 70s? My guess is probably not, though, we don't have any way of knowing that.

So, realistically, where is Detroit? They have been the 5th seed, 7th seed, 8th seed, and 6th seed in their conference. With the core getting older, Babcock may see some years coming in limbo. Not good enough to be a contender, not bad enough to get the top picks. Does Babcock want to wait 3-4 years to finally decide to Bottom out?

I think thats the real allure of Buffalo. The blank canvas with the ugly parts of the rebuild over with. Being able to dictate how the team plays and being on the same page with the GM on what they are trying to build.

After doing some thinking, I think he chooses Buffalo. He opts for a challenge and a risk where he sees a defined path vs Detroit, where he sees a likely rebuild with no real clear way to go from a good team to a great. Add on top of that better financial security, a known GM and ownership committed to winning. I think Detroit is the "easy" choice for him, but opts to take on a challenge here.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I don't know why Detroit would give him a short term deal.

Let's say he goes into Holland's office and says "I'll come back on a 2 year, 8 M total deal" they may simply say "You have our final offer" and walk away.

Think about it. They lose Blashill now and likely will lose Babcock when the 2 years is up. Is that enough time to groom an assistant/AHL coach?

We don't know what Bab's true motivations are. What I have inferred from what has been said is that he feels there is a transition period fast approaching for the Wings. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall are all over 34. They have a decent youth movement coming, but really lack the franchise building blocks ("we've won a little too much", his words).

Think about where Holland has taken him. To Grand Rapids to see the kids on the farm and to the World Championships to see Dylan Larkin. Holland appears to be selling him that the transition won't be too bad. Even during the interview on TSN with him in the room, he sold the "we made the playoffs on the backs of our young players".

To go back to the sportsnet interview they posted about him here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mike-babcock-perfectionist/

Based on what he's said there, my best guess is that he wants to win more cups. Does he want to coach into his 70s? My guess is probably not, though, we don't have any way of knowing that.

So, realistically, where is Detroit? They have been the 5th seed, 7th seed, 8th seed, and 6th seed in their conference. With the core getting older, Babcock may see some years coming in limbo. Not good enough to be a contender, not bad enough to get the top picks. Does Babcock want to wait 3-4 years to finally decide to Bottom out?

I think thats the real allure of Buffalo. The blank canvas with the ugly parts of the rebuild over with. Being able to dictate how the team plays and being on the same page with the GM on what they are trying to build.

After doing some thinking, I think he chooses Buffalo. He opts for a challenge and a risk where he sees a defined path vs Detroit, where he sees a likely rebuild with no real clear way to go from a good team to a great. Add on top of that better financial security, a known GM and ownership committed to winning. I think Detroit is the "easy" choice for him, but opts to take on a challenge here.

Exactly. If Babcock isn't excited to come here and create a superteam then I want the Sabres to go elsewhere.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I really hope people don't take it too personally if Babcock doesn't sign with us.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Bob McKenzie was just on @TSN690, on Babcock staying in DET: "I think all the signs are pointing to that....He's definitely not coming to Toronto."

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I really hope people don't take it too personally if Babcock doesn't sign with us.

BURN BABCOCK!!!!! BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE HIM PAY!!!!!!!
:sarcasm:

Honestly, if (and it's feeling more like when) he doesn't sign with us, I'll have expected it. I'll only be mad if we end up signing DeBoer. DO. NOT. WANT.

Karate Johnson*

I won't dislike Babcock any more than I dislike any other division opponents coachz

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Holland said over a week ago that he won't stand in Blashill's way if Babcock returns.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Holland said over a week ago that he won't stand in Blashill's way if Babcock returns.

I think someone else brought it up, but if babcock signs a two year extension, does Holland make good on what he said? Or does he talk Blashill into staying for a few more years and then (just short of) guaranteeing him an NHL coaching job?

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Gotta love the speculation something like this creates. Reading over the main boards thread, you have to love the 'mind readers, interpreters, psychologists, sociologists', etc., that come out of the wood work who all seemingly know Mike Babcock and what he is thinking.

From the Sabres point of view, if he is interested in developing a young and talented core, the money should be more than enough to convince him. If his heart is not in development, then he will not take the job, nor should we want him as fans.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Maybe he's perfectly content to wait and see what happens with Babcock?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
It's us or Detroit!

McKenzie said Toronto is out, Babs calling SJ was a courtesy call, and he won't take the STL job because of his relationship with Hitchcock.

This is nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad