Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who's the next head coach? Not Babcock - Pt. 2 - MOD post #917

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
All depends on what his conversation with "Kenny" is. Is it "So, just to be clear, this is the offer? All I have to do is accept?" Or is it "Match this 6X6 offer from the Sabres or see ya"

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Imagine if we do land Babcock. I can't wait to see the introductory press conference, and the look on his face when asked questions by the BN folks. Priceless!

Sample:

Mike Harrington, Buffalo News: Mike, welcome to Buffalo, how could you possibly take a position with a team that purposely tanked just so they could get a high draft pick?

Karate Johnson*

All depends on what his conversation with "Kenny" is. Is it "So, just to be clear, this is the offer? All I have to do is accept?" Or is it "Match this 6X6 offer from the Sabres or see ya"

If Detroits offer is 4 years at $3.25

And Buffalos is 6 years at sat $5.25 (north of $5mil)

That's a difference of a guaranteed $12,000,000 over the life of the deal. Nobody is turning that doe for a hometown discount. That's generational money.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Imagine if we do land Babcock. I can't wait to see the introductory press conference, and the look on his face when asked questions by the BN folks. Priceless!

Sample:

Mike Harrington, Buffalo News: Mike, welcome to Buffalo, how could you possibly take a position with a team that purposely tanked just so they could get a high draft pick?

Oh god I can't wait. I love when Buffalo hires people who treat them like the clowns they are.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
If Detroits offer is 4 years at $3.25

And Buffalos is 6 years at sat $5.25 (north of $5mil)

That's a difference of a guaranteed $12,000,000 over the life of the deal. Nobody is turning that doe for a hometown discount. That's generational money.

Exactly. It'd be bordering on irresponsible to turn that down.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I would like it if Babcock picked Buffalo to coach. I'm not gonna go on a hateful rampage if he doesn't. I may hate his wife, but not him. :biglaugh:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Just to be a nonconformist--Sabres should not get bent out of shape chasing Babcock or ROR. I like DeBoer as a candidate. Overpaying is one thing--doubling the pay for Babcock --5 or 6 million a year throws things out of whack. He has had superstar players and a great GM--he is a good coach but do not deify him..The expectations on him will be unmanageable.

Karate Johnson*

Just to be a nonconformist--Sabres should not get bent out of shape chasing Babcock or ROR. I like DeBoer as a candidate. Overpaying is one thing--doubling the pay for Babcock --5 or 6 million a year throws things out of whack. He has had superstar players and a great GM--he is a good coach but do not deify him..The expectations on him will be unmanageable.

Why would any fan care at all about the coaches salary? It doesn't effect anything. It's like worrying about spending too much money on scouting.

Babcock at $4 mil has identical expectations as Babcock at $5.5 mil. But one of those numbers gets him here and one likely does not

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Here's the thing with his pay:

He's already pretty much come out and said that he's out to change the payscale of NHL coaches. They're by far the least paid of the 4 major sports. He wants to change that.

If TPegs wants to help with that goal...it's his money. More power to him

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Blashill may be the main reason we get Babcock. Does Detroit really want to pay Babcock that much, going through transition, while they have Blashill who could step in for much cheaper?

How does Babcock throw away an extra $2M / year to stay in Detroit?

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

If Babcock gives you the brightest future going forward, do whatever it takes. That includes throwing coaching salaries out of whack.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Exactly. It'd be bordering on irresponsible to turn that down.
So true. After taxes the money could all be gone in a divorce for the most part. Do it for your great grand kids babs!

Here's the thing with his pay:

He's already pretty much come out and said that he's out to change the payscale of NHL coaches. They're by far the least paid of the 4 major sports. He wants to change that.

If TPegs wants to help with that goal...it's his money. More power to him

And do it for your fellow colleagues across the NHL coaching world!

Bordering on irresponsible would be a solid way to put it really. We aren't talking 10 or 12.5 million/year. The % increase is very high.

Last edited:

Karate Johnson*

I wonder if Pegula and Murray can get creative with a contract too?

Are there any rules?

Could they offer him 6 years $33 million with $20 million up front as a signing bonus?

How about access to PegulaAir?

That sort of outside the box structuring wouldn't be out of the ordinary since Pegasus bought the Sabres.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I wonder if Pegula and Murray can get creative with a contract too?

Are there any rules?

Could they offer him 6 years $33 million with $20 million up front as a signing bonus?

How about access to PegulaAir?

That sort of outside the box structuring wouldn't be out of the ordinary since Pegasus bought the Sabres.

I imagine if he asks for anything "creative" it would be a permanent opt-out clause in case the rebuild doesn't go well.

Karate Johnson*

I imagine if he asks for anything "creative" it would be a permanent opt-out clause in case the rebuild doesn't go well.

Perhaps.

I would think something like that would kick in a few years down the roadz

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I can see overpaying but if you pay huge then the expectations will be huge. Will he be expected to be in the playoffs this year? Will he demand we trade the future to get players so he can win now? How will fandom react to the choices made? I am just saying we seem to be fixated on a saviour coming in to lead us to the promised land.

Karate Johnson*

I can see overpaying but if you pay huge then the expectations will be huge. Will he be expected to be in the playoffs this year? Will he demand we trade the future to get players so he can win now? How will fandom react to the choices made? I am just saying we seem to be fixated on a saviour coming in to lead us to the promised land.

The expectations on Mike Babcock are going to be high regardless of his contract numbers, which are aso going to be high.

Babcock was going to double his salary and become the highest paid coach in NHL history. That's a given. So after that what is another $2 million going to do to add to that?

Babcock isn't a savior. The team doesn't need saving.

We have a plan, we have executed that plan almost flawlessly.

The next step is developing players and adding through FA and trades. A respected coach is a great step in that direction.

Who cares what it costs?

BUFSABES1981

Apr 11, 2011

I would think Pegula would be a bit hesitant of that after the Marrone fiasco... Luckily, it was a blessing in disguise. But I doubt Pegula wants to open that can of worms again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad