WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Anyone been to the renovated Malmö Isstadion? What's the view like from the cheapest tickets behind the net? I normally don't mind watching the game from that perspective, but I'm a bit suspicious, given that is the only section at this cheap price.

Also, as a Dane from Copenhagen, I would definitely recommend for you Canucks (and yanks too :)) to consider staying in Copenhagen and commuting by regional train (+ metro if necessary) to the games. You can take the Metro to Copenhagen Airport and switch to the regional train there, or take the regional train to Malmö from Copenhagen Central Station. Malmö Arena is only 12 mins from Copenhagen Airport and approx 25 mins from Copenhagen Central Station.

Malmö Arena is literally right next to the Malmö Hyllie station (the first station on the Swedish side). Malmö Isstadion is a short walk from the Triangeln Station (next station from Hyllie).

I like Malmö, but there's no denying Copenhagen is a much bigger city, so there is a lot more going on on the Danish side in terms of non-hockey related stuff. If the schedule on the 27th looks a bit thin, consider going to Rungsted for the derby clash between Rungsted and Rødovre! They also play on the 28th in Rødovre, but on that date the WJC will be a lot more busy. As for drinking and partying, Copenhagen is much, much better than Malmö!

If you're looking for some extra-curricular activity on the Swedish side, check out the ancient university town of Lund only some 10 km from Malmö.

If you are commuting from Copenhagen, it can be a bit of a jungle to find the cheapest ticket, given the different ticket systems and currencies. So I have created this little spreadsheet that might help:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ak0-js0sziMKdE1xOXROTjBidHVEeDF3eFRhSTljdWc&output=html

As the exchange rate changes, things might change, but as of right now, the cheapest option looks to be the '5 x return' 'klippekort' from Denmark. Note that the return part of the ticket is valid for 48 hours so if you do the trip two days in a row, the second time you will only have to pay for a separate one way ticket. When using the '5 x return klippekort', there is no way for the ticket inspectors to see that you actually used the return part of the ticket the day before. :) Don't try to get a free ride, in my experience you will have your ticket inspected almost every time. The fine for riding without a ticket is 750 DKK / 1000 SEK!

If you're staying on the Swedish side, pick up the Jojo card at Pressbyrån or elsewhere. Prepaid cards will get you started with public transport.

As others have stated, VISA cards is universally accepted in both countries, but having a 4-digit PIN is required in many cases.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of you there! Also hope to see a lot of Danes there too...

Last edited:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Anyone been to the renovated Malmö Isstadion? What's the view like from the cheapest tickets behind the net? I normally don't mind watching the game from that perspective, but I'm a bit suspicious, given that is the only section at this cheap price.

Also, as a Dane from Copenhagen, I would definitely recommend for you Canucks (and yanks too :)) to consider staying in Copenhagen and commuting by regional train (+ metro if necessary) to the games. You can take the Metro to Copenhagen Airport and switch to the regional train there, or take the regional train to Malmö from Copenhagen Central Station. Malmö Arena is only 12 mins from Copenhagen Airport and approx 25 mins from Copenhagen Central Station.

Malmö Arena is literally right next to the Malmö Hyllie station (the first station on the Swedish side). Malmö Isstadion is a short walk from the Triangeln Station (next station from Hyllie).

I like Malmö, but there's no denying Copenhagen is a much bigger city, so there is a lot more going on on the Danish side in terms of non-hockey related stuff. If the schedule on the 27th looks a bit thin, consider going to Rungsted for the derby clash between Rungsted and Rødovre! They also play on the 28th in Rødovre, but on that date the WJC will be a lot more busy. As for drinking and partying, Copenhagen is much, much better than Malmö!

If you're looking for some extra-curricular activity on the Swedish side, check out the ancient university town of Lund only some 10 km from Malmö.

If you are commuting from Copenhagen, it can be a bit of a jungle to find the cheapest ticket, given the different ticket systems and currencies. So I have created this little spreadsheet that might help:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ak0-js0sziMKdE1xOXROTjBidHVEeDF3eFRhSTljdWc&output=html

As the exchange rate changes, things might change, but as of right now, the cheapest option looks to be the '5 x return' 'klippekort' from Denmark. Note that the return part of the ticket is valid for 48 hours so if you do the trip two days in a row, the second time you will only have to pay for a separate one way ticket. When using the '5 x return klippekort', there is no way for the ticket inspectors to see that you actually used the return part of the ticket the day before. :) Don't try to get a free ride, in my experience you will have your ticket inspected almost every time. The fine for riding without a ticket is 750 DKK / 1000 SEK!

If you're staying on the Swedish side, pick up the Jojo card at Pressbyrån or elsewhere. Prepaid cards will get you started with public transport.

As others have stated, VISA cards is universally accepted in both countries, but having a 4-digit PIN is required in many cases.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of you there! Also hope to see a lot of Danes there too...

I'm wondering about the seats behind the net too. They're so cheap it makes me think you either have to stand or sit on benches. Thanks for the all the information. Can hardly wait to see some games and beautiful Copenhagen/Malmo.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
I'm waiting with buying tickets to Malmö Isstadion until I know how it look and what row to sit on, anyone know it the seats go all the way of if there's a gap? Thanks!

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I'm wondering about the seats behind the net too. They're so cheap it makes me think you either have to stand or sit on benches. Thanks for the all the information. Can hardly wait to see some games and beautiful Copenhagen/Malmo.

I've never been there but generally the seats behind the net are quite cheap in most Swedish arenas. In NHL arenas those seats will be among the most expensive ones, here people tend to look for other places to sit to get a better view of the whole ice. Also, if you plan on sitting on the front row you'll probably not sit close enough to touch the glass like you would in NA. Someone else can probably provide you with info on this particular arena though.

Pgust

Nov 19, 2013
Stockholm
I've never been there but generally the seats behind the net are quite cheap in most Swedish arenas. In NHL arenas those seats will be among the most expensive ones, here people tend to look for other places to sit to get a better view of the whole ice. Also, if you plan on sitting on the front row you'll probably not sit close enough to touch the glass like you would in NA. Someone else can probably provide you with info on this particular arena though.

I think you will sit quite close to the glass in Malmö Aren though.

Malmö Arena:

sx88a9d1_478784v530x800.jpg

Malmö isstadion: Not world class but it will do!

bild12_522f3d599606ee2dde5f9bd7.jpg

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
You can somewhat see the view in this clip at 4:24. It's a typical old school Swedish arena with space between the rink and the seats.

Macman

May 15, 2004

Thanks.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
Frontpage_Malmo_960.jpg

In Malmö Arena you'll sit at the glass as you can see. It's one of the better arenas in Europe, I really like it "NHL Style" where you can bang the glass, and luckily I got all my tickets on the first row!

Macman

May 15, 2004
You can somewhat see the view in this clip at 4:24. It's a typical old school Swedish arena with space between the rink and the seats.

Thanks, that's helpful. Definitely seats and not benches or just standing. Might be worth a try for a game.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Build a brand new arena and put up your typical fluorescent office lamps for the arena lights. So much fail.

The lamps themselves may not look pretty, but I'd say that the lighting on the ice is pretty good. That is a lot more important IMHO.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Anybody else had problems calling the ticket line from North America? It's always ringing busy.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I've called them several times and never got a busy signal. Exactly what are you dialing? Using a phone line that allows international calls?

I'm using my home line and throwing 011 in front of number that appears on website.

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
I'm using my home line and throwing 011 in front of number that appears on website.

And your home line allows international calls? (My home phone has the most basic plan possible and does not.) I don't know...I'd try calling from a different phone if you can. I used Google Voice (10 cents/minute) and it worked great each time I called.

Macman

May 15, 2004
And your home line allows international calls? (My home phone has the most basic plan possible and does not.) I don't know...I'd try calling from a different phone if you can. I used Google Voice (10 cents/minute) and it worked great each time I called.

I called an info line today at Malmo Arena and got through to a recording so there's nothing wrong with the phone. I'm taking into account the time difference but I must still be calling when no one is around. I'll keep trying.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Try to omit the first zero in the phone number if you haven't done so already.

Could also be that they are surprised by the interest and don't have enough staff / phone lines.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Try to omit the first zero in the phone number if you haven't done so already.

Could also be that they are surprised by the interest and don't have enough staff / phone lines.

I'm guessing that's the case. They emailed me a link to a website that allowed me to use a foreign credit card. All is good. Except for the possible concussion to Drouin now.

Mr Leth

Oct 4, 2010
Malmö

Why did they film it with a potato though...?! :laugh:
I'd say the worst seats in Malmö Isstadion is the ones in Category 2, the green ones if you're looking at the layout.
The reason is that all seats are facing straight forward, there's no curve in this old building.
So sitting in any of those corners means your head constantly will be turned right or left (depending on which side you're sitting on of course).
In the old days when Malmö Redhawks were still playing there, those were the seats that rarely sold out.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
So where will everyone be staying during the WJC? We're 4 guys who'll be staying at the First Hotel Jörgen Kock near the central station, if anyone would fancy a beer during the week!

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
So where will everyone be staying during the WJC? We're 4 guys who'll be staying at the First Hotel Jörgen Kock near the central station, if anyone would fancy a beer during the week!

At least a couple of us are at the Elite Plaza Hotel on Gustav Adolfs Square. There's a pub right next to it called The Bishop Arms that claims to have some good beers.

About a 10 minute walk from Central Station is Lilla Torg (Little Square) that has, as I understand it, a bunch of bars (Moosehead, Mello Yello, Victors), restaurants, shops, etc. How about we make the Lilla Torg area the unofficial meeting spot for anyone who wants to have a drink and talk hockey?
:cheers:

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
At least a couple of us are at the Elite Plaza Hotel on Gustav Adolfs Square. There's a pub right next to it called The Bishop Arms that claims to have some good beers.

About a 10 minute walk from Central Station is Lilla Torg (Little Square) that has, as I understand it, a bunch of bars (Moosehead, Mello Yello, Victors), restaurants, shops, etc. How about we make the Lilla Torg area the unofficial meeting spot for anyone who wants to have a drink and talk hockey?
:cheers:

Apparently we're booked at Best Western Noble House, also at Gustav Adolfs torg, some change in plans I didn't know! It seems nice tho. Lilla Torg seems nice, will be a good drinking spot. Looking forward to talking some hockey over a few beers with some fellow HFboarders!

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On

We are John, Rob, Derek, and Will. 4 Guys from Toronto area. We are staying directly across from Central Station at the Elite Hotel Savoy. The Bishops Arms Pub is in our hotel. Oh yea I'm bringing Clamato and making Ceasers (bring your own celery), I'm also bringing Morgan Rielly whether the Leafs like it or not. GoCanadaGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad