WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

So how many Canadian and Americans do you guys think will come over here? Picked up my tickets today to 5 games in the group stages, will be travelling down from Stockholm, so pumped! Hope to see a lot of you guys and maybe have a couple of beers and a good talk!

Many. :)

The Destiny Tours group alone will be 520 people. :amazed:

I am jealous. Soooo much fun.

albertaref

Feb 7, 2013
Fort McMurray AB
Cash Vs Credit

So with just over a month to go wondering if I can get some feedback / advice on cash requirements in Sweden / Denmark.

Some basic questions:
Use of north american based visa?, i know we couldn't buy tickets using it but I've heard use in Sweden shouldn't be an issue
Places to get cash? I can order it in advance from my bank here but then face traveling with significant amounts of cash vs do NA debit cards work in local ATM's
Things that are expected to be cash only? Beer at the rink, taxi's etc This would give a good guide on how much cash to have at any given time.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Fired up to head down with Destiny Tours December 24th (Christmas Eve). First trip out of North America, and first plane flight. :help:

Anyway, everyone keeps telling me to beware of pickpockets in Malmo, and other crimes. Are they ****ing with me? :laugh:

Not sure how to deal with the money situation either. Debit + ATMs? It'll be me and one friend, and we're both just seventeen :laugh:

Nervous to say the least..

BOB3000

Apr 14, 2012
You can get money/exchange at "FOREX"

FOREX RATES

As of using Master Card/VISA you should be fine. Almost everybody accept cards these days.

American Express is also widly accepted.

I dont know how the buss-system works but sometimes its more affordable to buy tickets in lets say "PRESSBYRÅN", Pressbyrån(Its like 7/11) is located everywhere and shouldnt be that hard to find.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Fired up to head down with Destiny Tours December 24th (Christmas Eve). First trip out of North America, and first plane flight. :help:

Anyway, everyone keeps telling me to beware of pickpockets in Malmo, and other crimes. Are they ****ing with me? :laugh:

Not sure how to deal with the money situation either. Debit + ATMs? It'll be me and one friend, and we're both just seventeen :laugh:

Pickpockets loves tourists as they often walk around with a lot of cash, plus they are more distracted from the fact that they are in an unfamiliar enviroment. Many of the thiefs arent Swedish even, there is a lot of criminals from other european countries that operates in Swedish Cities. Still of course you have to be unlucky for these things to happen.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Mälmö has some bad areas you should avoid but getting robbed or beaten up in city center or near the arena's during day is very unlikely.

You can pay with Visa everywhere so no need to carry around lot of money with you.

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
So with just over a month to go wondering if I can get some feedback / advice on cash requirements in Sweden / Denmark.

Some basic questions:
Use of north american based visa?, i know we couldn't buy tickets using it but I've heard use in Sweden shouldn't be an issue
Places to get cash? I can order it in advance from my bank here but then face traveling with significant amounts of cash vs do NA debit cards work in local ATM's
Things that are expected to be cash only? Beer at the rink, taxi's etc This would give a good guide on how much cash to have at any given time.

North american credit cards will work just let your bank know you intend to use it in europe. We decided to take some cash which we have already switched to swedish kroner. i am also using debit card to withdraw from atm, no problem, make sure debit card has only 4 digit code. you must withdraw from a chequing acct. not a savings account.

Pgust

Nov 19, 2013
Stockholm
C'mon guys, you make it sound like Bronx or something. It is just a bunch of 15-18 years old wannabe gangsters who hang out in the "bad" areas.

I hope you all that are going will enjoy your stay in Copenhagen/Malmö! Will leave you with a few beautiful pictures from Malmö!

From above:

http://litefranovan.se/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Malmö-turnig-torso-västra-hamnen-61.jpg

Malmö Arena:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/Malmö_Arena_ESC2013_01.jpg

Öresundsbron (bridge between Malmö and Copenhagen):

http://data.oresundsbron.com/image/press_photo/original/peberholm_2002111964.jpg

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
Hi guys,

Which end does the visiting team attack in 1st and 3rd period on Malmö Arena? Can't find the information on ticketmaster... Is the A1/A20 good if I want to sit in Finland's attacking end in e.g. SWE-FIN match?

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
North american credit cards will work just let your bank know you intend to use it in europe. We decided to take some cash which we have already switched to swedish kroner. i am also using debit card to withdraw from atm, no problem, make sure debit card has only 4 digit code. you must withdraw from a chequing acct. not a savings account.

I definitely agree with most of the above. But wow, there are some younger and/or inexperienced travelers on this trip! Ok, well, here's my free travel class, with the caveat that as an American my accounts are with American companies so you Canadians may have some differences.

I'm usually out of the country at least once a year. Mostly Europe, some Asia and Latin America. For the past 8 years or so, I've never felt the need to acquire local currency before arriving. I get off the plane, find the closest ATM in the airport, and take out local currency there. It's never been a problem for me, and ATMs in the country give you the best exchange rates. I would avoid going to those foreign currency counters/stores you'll see in the airports, or bother with exchanging money before you go, unless you just want the peace of mind. It will definitely be more expensive than going to an ATM once you land. As was suggested above, make sure you have a 4-digit PIN and make sure your money is in a checking account.

I try to take out only a bit of cash at a time as ATMs are plentiful in European cities, but of course your bank may change you fees. I have a bank in the US that will reimburse me other bank's fees so not a problem for me. If that weren't the case and I was paying massive fees, I'd probably take out larger sums of money each time. Up to you.

That's how I get cash. But honestly, I try to pay with a credit card for every transaction I possibly can. Three reasons. First, the exchange rate is usually pretty good. Second, as a security/safety measure, I'd rather not be removing cash from my wallet, stumbling with bills to figure out what's a $5 and what's a $100, and letting other people see how much money I have in cash. Put down the Visa or MasterCard and no one sees my cash. Third, rewards points! But of course, that matters on what kind of card you have. One important note: many credit cards charge a bullcrap "foreign transaction fee" of 1% - 3% of the transaction. It's a nothing fee, made up to take your money. If I had to pay that, I'd be more hesitant about using a credit card all the time. You still have over a month before leaving, so call the credit card company and see what your fee is. If it's not 0%, think about getting a new card for this trip that has no foreign transaction fees. For you Canadians, google for example the Amazon.ca Visa from Chase.

Absolutely, positively the most important piece of advice: CALL YOUR BANK AND CREDIT CARD COMPANIES BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Let them know where you're going and when. If not, they'll cut off your card thinking it's stolen. That's not a good situation to be in.

Also, this may be obvious, but just in case: Danish money is not interchangeable with Swedish money. If you plan to visit Copenhagen in anything more than a cursory way, you'll need both.

Lastly, for the guys, keep you wallet in your front pocket (or a zippered coat pocket), not your back pocket. Best way to avoid pickpockets. For women, get a purse with a larger strap you can put over your head and across your body, not something you have to hold in your hand the whole time. Best way to avoid getting it snatched.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I definitely agree with most of the above. But wow, there are some younger and/or inexperienced travelers on this trip! Ok, well, here's my free travel class, with the caveat that as an American my accounts are with American companies so you Canadians may have some differences.

I'm usually out of the country at least once a year. Mostly Europe, some Asia and Latin America. For the past 8 years or so, I've never felt the need to acquire local currency before arriving. I get off the plane, find the closest ATM in the airport, and take out local currency there. It's never been a problem for me, and ATMs in the country give you the best exchange rates. I would avoid going to those foreign currency counters/stores you'll see in the airports, or bother with exchanging money before you go, unless you just want the peace of mind. It will definitely be more expensive than going to an ATM once you land. As was suggested above, make sure you have a 4-digit PIN and make sure your money is in a checking account.

I try to take out only a bit of cash at a time as ATMs are plentiful in European cities, but of course your bank may change you fees. I have a bank in the US that will reimburse me other bank's fees so not a problem for me. If that weren't the case and I was paying massive fees, I'd probably take out larger sums of money each time. Up to you.

That's how I get cash. But honestly, I try to pay with a credit card for every transaction I possibly can. Three reasons. First, the exchange rate is usually pretty good. Second, as a security/safety measure, I'd rather not be removing cash from my wallet, stumbling with bills to figure out what's a $5 and what's a $100, and letting other people see how much money I have in cash. Put down the Visa or MasterCard and no one sees my cash. Third, rewards points! But of course, that matters on what kind of card you have. One important note: many credit cards charge a bullcrap "foreign transaction fee" of 1% - 3% of the transaction. It's a nothing fee, made up to take your money. If I had to pay that, I'd be more hesitant about using a credit card all the time. You still have over a month before leaving, so call the credit card company and see what your fee is. If it's not 0%, think about getting a new card for this trip that has no foreign transaction fees. For you Canadians, google for example the Amazon.ca Visa from Chase.

Absolutely, positively the most important piece of advice: CALL YOUR BANK AND CREDIT CARD COMPANIES BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Let them know where you're going and when. If not, they'll cut off your card thinking it's stolen. That's not a good situation to be in.

Also, this may be obvious, but just in case: Danish money is not interchangeable with Swedish money. If you plan to visit Copenhagen in anything more than a cursory way, you'll need both.

Lastly, for the guys, keep you wallet in your front pocket (or a zippered coat pocket), not your back pocket. Best way to avoid pickpockets. For women, get a purse with a larger strap you can put over your head and across your body, not something you have to hold in your hand the whole time. Best way to avoid getting it snatched.

Yeah, the banks (and such) loves to make up fees to cover "costs" that actually don't exist. :/ Damn robbers those bankers.

sirjohnkickass

Nov 20, 2013
Don't forget Me!! You can count 4 more. Departing Toronto Dec 28th :yo:

As a Canadian currently living in Sweden, you will have no problem with your North American credit card as long as you inform your company that you will be in Europe during the tournament. I rarely take out cash as it seems like everywhere accepts Visa.

The public transit will be your most cost effective way to get around and it is quite easy to use and Sweden, like other countries in Europe has a much better public transit system than Canada. Cabs are very expensive here and I very rarely use them.

I also have 5 friends leaving the same day from Toronto and have tickets to all of Canada's game other than the game vs. Germany and have tickets to the QF, SF and bronze/gold. It should be quite the tourney.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
I know that there will be places that doesn't accept American Express, but as long as you have Visa or Mastercard you wont have a problem anywhere as almost every place you will go accept cards. Does anyone know how the rebuilt Malmö Isstadion looks like? I'll be going for 2 games there would be nice too see how it looks after the rebuild!

herrington2828

Nov 21, 2013
Three Canucks 25 y/o coming from Newmarket (near Toronto) for this one!

Lets get serious - forget all the VISA info - where is the best place to drink and party in Malmo?

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Can someone who's been to Malmö Stadium tell me if seats in the D33/D44 area are any good? The angle looks good but I'm not sure how far back/up they are and whether you can see the game well enough. Looking to book a couple tickets to the semis.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Can someone who's been to Malmö Stadium tell me if seats in the D33/D44 area are any good? The angle looks good but I'm not sure how far back/up they are and whether you can see the game well enough. Looking to book a couple tickets to the semis.

D33 is pretty good. You'll have a good view over the entire ice.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I'm thinking of going and am wondering if I need to buy tickets for Canada's prelim games ahead of time or wait until I get there. I know the stadium they're playing in is the smaller rink. Anyone know how the tickets are selling for their games?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm thinking of going and am wondering if I need to buy tickets for Canada's prelim games ahead of time or wait until I get there. I know the stadium they're playing in is the smaller rink. Anyone know how the tickets are selling for their games?

You can find it here:
http://www.ticnet.se/artist/world-j.../24368?language=en-us&tm_link=tm_header_lang4

Looks like the best seats against Czechs and USA are getting sold, but just to get tickets shouldn't be a problem, I don't think we'll see sellouts in that arena.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
Anyone that knows if row 1 is good seats in Malmö Isstadion? Will you sit by the glass or will there be a gap between the stands and the ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad