WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreeSapLlama

Sep 24, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Question regarding Transit for any locals:

We are staying at the Radisson Blu (not with Destiny Tours)
1. There is a train going from downtown to the Main Arena by what i can tell, so that should be fine.
2. What would be the best way to get to Canada's arena (Malmo Stadion)? Bus? Taxi? Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?
3. Can you rent a Bicycle? Can you get a DUI on a Bicycle in Sweden?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :handclap:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Question regarding Transit for any locals:

We are staying at the Radisson Blu (not with Destiny Tours)
1. There is a train going from downtown to the Main Arena by what i can tell, so that should be fine.
2. What would be the best way to get to Canada's arena (Malmo Stadion)? Bus? Taxi? Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?
3. Can you rent a Bicycle? Can you get a DUI on a Bicycle in Sweden?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :handclap:

1: The arena has its own train station called Hyllie, about a 60-100meter walk from station > Arena.
2: Taxis aren't cheap, been years since I've been to the stadion but there should definitely be busses going there.
3: You can be drunk on a bike, but if the police sees you driving like a nut, they'll stop you and give you a fine. But there's no limit to how much you can drink, you just have to show you can ride it.

this is also very important, what is the price of beer at the games ?

If it's the same as the local team playing in the arena, around 7-8ish dollar/beer.

Last edited:

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
It looks like Destiny Tours (and other tour companies) already have transportation to games and various non-game day activities planned out for their customers.

For those of us traveling independently from the US (just me?) and Canada, several of us are getting an email group organized to better plan our drinking in Malmo. :yo: If anyone else is interested in joining this, feel free to send me a message. Thanks!

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
Well tomorrow is a big day for me, its ankle surgery day, and I have one thing on my mind. What brands of beer do they sell in Swedish Arenas?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Well tomorrow is a big day for me, its ankle surgery day, and I have one thing on my mind. What brands of beer do they sell in Swedish Arenas?

Mostly cheaper swedish brands, when the team that has the arena as home plays it's mostly norrlandsguld, can't remember if they have heineken or carlsberg too. But all the brands they sell there are better than the crap they sell in USA. :p:

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
You can be drunk on a bike, but if the police sees you driving like a nut, they'll stop you and give you a fine. But there's no limit to how much you can drink, you just have to show you can ride it.

Actually, bicycles are covered by the same laws as cars and the same legal limit applies. The drunk driving legislation applies to all vehicles, from cars and motorcycles to bicycles and lawnmowers.

Of course in practice the police won't spend much time looking for drunk bicyclists, so you'd have to be absolutely ****faced to get stopped and fined for it.

Given the relationship they have with the Swedish Hockey Federation, Falcon is likely to be the beer offered. It's a local Swedish brand and it is absolute garbage.

Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?

Swedish taxis are prohibitively expensive. Avoid using them at all costs.

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Actually, bicycles are covered by the same laws as cars and the same legal limit applies. The drunk driving legislation applies to all vehicles, from cars and motorcycles to bicycles and lawnmowers.

Of course in practice the police won't spend much time looking for drunk bicyclists, so you'd have to be absolutely ****faced to get stopped and fined for it.

You'll have to quote a source because everything I've read says what I wrote: Unless you're being a danger in traffic or showing you can't controll the bike, you're good to go. If you wiggle around on the bike they'll take you.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
You'll have to quote a source because everything I've read says what I wrote: Unless you're being a danger in traffic or showing you can't controll the bike, you're good to go. If you wiggle around on the bike they'll take you.

When I did my drivers licence 2 years ago that was what I was told during my lessons. You're not allowed to operate any vehicle while above the legal limit.

HugeMidget

Jan 13, 2009
For other people travelling to Malmo from outside Sweden, any suggestions on where to stay? At the moment my buddies and I are looking at either Park Inn Malmo or Elite Plaza.

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
For other people travelling to Malmo from outside Sweden, any suggestions on where to stay? At the moment my buddies and I are looking at either Park Inn Malmo or Elite Plaza.
As i'm also not from Malmo, I can't honestly say which is the better. However after spending a couple of months reading reviews from different sources, watching videos & making a few phone calls. we booked the Elite Hotel Savoy. It is directly across from the train station.We did look to book the Elite Plaza, but they didn't have single beds, as I'm going with a group of guys I really didn't want to share a bed with a Buddy for 10 days. We were thinking of park inn also, but found it was a bit off the beaten trail. We got a decent deal with hotline.com we paid about $1600. for flight and hotel, departing Toronto on Dec 28th. I,m sure where ever you guys choose to stay this will be an awesome adventure. GO CANADA GO!!!

welshrangersfan

Mar 30, 2011
I can't wait for this now. Got tickets to the Semis, Bronze and Gold games. Two tickets to each match cost me under £100 in total. Phenomenal value. The semi tickets are row 1 against the glass too, which just adds to the excitement for me. Looking forward to seeing some top class hockey and meeting a few of you Canadians/US based fans over a pint ;)

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
see you in Malmo in 247 sleeps and counting. Still looking for a new years party. any of you malmonians have any suggestions, we're open to them.:yo:

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
WJC Teams not chosen yet, But Malmo Radio Station is, Malmo 106.1 Classic Rock Station. Flying home to Toronto via KLM through Amsterdam. Anybody wanna come have fun?:nod:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Advice: if taking a cab, make sure you use a known and respectable company (I don't know what's what in Malmö) or you may get fleeced. Taxi drivers are allowed to charge whatever they want. God knows I've been hustled plenty of times after a couple of beers :laugh:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
see you in Malmo in 247 sleeps and counting. Still looking for a new years party. any of you malmonians have any suggestions, we're open to them.:yo:

I don't know about Malmö, but New Year's in Copenhagen is pretty big. I would recommend staying away from the Town Hall Square if you are particularly fond of your extremities and your sense of sight and hearing. :) The Town Hall Square is packed with tens of thousands of insanely drunk people with a huge array of fireworks. Quite a dangerous combination. :help:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Advice: if taking a cab, make sure you use a known and respectable company (I don't know what's what in Malmö) or you may get fleeced. Taxi drivers are allowed to charge whatever they want. God knows I've been hustled plenty of times after a couple of beers :laugh:

Ask how much they charge to go wherever you want to go, or take it with the taxa-meter. You'll have to be a Pejorative Slur to get scammed by a cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad