WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Advice: if taking a cab, make sure you use a known and respectable company (I don't know what's what in Malmö) or you may get fleeced. Taxi drivers are allowed to charge whatever they want. God knows I've been hustled plenty of times after a couple of beers :laugh:

Unlike Stockholm, this doesn't seem to be a problem in Skåne for whatever reason. Not saying it never happens but it's probably not as frequent.

Negotiating the price upfront "always" works in Malmö -- if it doesn't, I myself would probably find another cab.

Mr Leth

Oct 4, 2010
Malmö
Uh, it shouldn't come as a surprise to any local if our cab companys are trying to rip of the tourists.
Negotiating the price upfront isn't always easy for a tourist who aren't aware of what it should cost, not to mention what the real distance is.
If you have to use a cab please be aware of this, else you'll end up riding three laps around town while the smiling cabbie says something like: closests way, only for you my friend!

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Just find a good taxi company in the phonebook(can ask in a travelstore), get a map to see distance, and find out beforehand how much they take. Normal is around 40 kronor/kilometer. Often gets cheaper the longer u travel.

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
OK, Bus it is then. Don't need dishonest cab drivers ruining my trip. Maybe meet some locals, with an old school bus. "BEER BUS TOURS" Thats it, Somebody in malmo start building a BEER BUS. Buid it and they will come.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
OK, Bus it is then. Don't need dishonest cab drivers ruining my trip. Maybe meet some locals, with an old school bus. "BEER BUS TOURS" Thats it, Somebody in malmo start building a BEER BUS. Buid it and they will come.

I don't see the point of taking cabs around the city unless you're staying remote or going somewhere in the "off hours".

Public transportation is decent enough for a WJC visitors needs I'd imagine. You can check out their homepage at http://www.skanetrafiken.se/templates/StartPage.aspx?id=16125&epslanguage=EN

A and O will suffice as a replacement for ÅÄÖ in the travel planner. "Malmö Isstadion" is the station for the small arena where Group A(?) is played and "Malmö Hyllie" is the station for Malmö Arena where Group B plays.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This will prove are some Swedes on boards liers or are U20 WHC really more popular than adults WHC. Might visit myself too.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
This will prove are some Swedes on boards liers or are U20 WHC really more popular than adults WHC. Might visit myself too.

Depends if we win or not. Hockey tournaments in Sweden goes like this: If we win, holy crap this is huge!
If we lose: Who cares, it's just <WHC or U20 WHC>.

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
Just picked up tickets for Junior game Nov 21 in Oshawa, Ontario. Team Canada takes on Team Russia. Can't wait to get a sneak peak of the team and cheer on the boys at home 1 month before we leave to watch the World Junior Tournament in Malmo. :wave:

Last edited:

Millpool

Jul 12, 2012
I'm thinking I'll be hopping over from London for a couple preliminary round games. I'm so pumped about ticket prices! Should be a lot of fun!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I don't know about Malmö, but New Year's in Copenhagen is pretty big. I would recommend staying away from the Town Hall Square if you are particularly fond of your extremities and your sense of sight and hearing. :) The Town Hall Square is packed with tens of thousands of insanely drunk people with a huge array of fireworks. Quite a dangerous combination. :help:

its big in malmö also, fireworks everywhere and drunk people.

Harikkerk

funny girl. it will not be played in rosengård. rosengård its actully a nice looking place. i was there today. took a walk.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
bougth tickets to the gold-medal game yesterday, it´s not that many left...

There's literally something like 25 seats left in the lower bowl. :handclap: Final will have 13k attendance or whatever the capacity will be for sure. That's a very good start this early.

Millpool

Jul 12, 2012
There's literally something like 25 seats left in the lower bowl. :handclap: Final will have 13k attendance or whatever the capacity will be for sure. That's a very good start this early.

Yeah, I've just finally been checking into ticket availability these past few days and have been surprised/impressed, especially with how little is left for the medal round games. Perhaps this was a case of me being a pompous Canadian, but I decided months ago that I would try and see some games in Malmo and just assumed that tickets would be readily available all the way. I understand that Sweden likes hockey, but just didn't think tickets sold out really anywhere outside Canada. So I think this is great, but am also kicking myself a bit for not checking sooner. It will be great though if there are a lots of sell outs!

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
So I know its a little early as this tournament just started but I've finally given in. I wanna make the trip to Malmo for the 2014 tournament. I fully understand how ticket packages work when the tournament is here in Canada but does anyone know when and how ticket packages for next year will be made available? How much they might be (I'm hoping the tickets themselves are cheaper in Europe then when its played in NA)

Me and a buddy may be down to make the trip to Sweden. I've never been to Europe so why not start with Sweden at Christmas

Any info regarding price, trip packages, cost of anything would be greatly appreciated.

So Torts you started this thread and got me fired up for this tournament. Did you and your bud ever end up getting tickets for Malmo. I am so stoked for this tourney I'm half packed already.

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
Fan Zone

any plans of fan fest ?

Yes, finally. See http://www.worldjunior2014.com/en/news/welcome-to-the-fan-zone
or copied and pasted for your convenience (never say USA fans never gave Canadian fans anything):

Welcome to the Fan Zone
Fans get their place to warm up for World Juniors
Published 01.10.2013 19:13 | Author Anders Feltenmark

During the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship in Malmö a Fan Zone will be built up at Baltiska Hallen close to the Malmö Isstadion.

Fans can enjoy an attractive Fan Zone in proximity of the venues at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Everybody is welcome at the Fan Zone, young and old, for a warm-up before the games and a chance to get into World Junior Championship mood for those with or without a ticket.

Opening hours: 12:00 to 21:00

On all game days from December 26 to January 5 (closed on January 1)

Free admission!

On-site there will be a stage with various program items, but also activities such as:
• Cage Hockey - tournament
• Shooting Ramp
• 3-fight
• Contests
• Table hockey games and tournaments
• Restaurant and Sports Bar
• NHL 13 tournament
• Face Painting
• Speed Shooting
• Souvenir Sales
• Try on Hockey
• Cross Fit

It's completely free to visit the Fan Zone area, whether you have tickets to hockey games or not.

There will be both a lounge area which serves simple food and a sports bar with license to serve drinks, which makes the area a great place to spend time before and after the games and in the break between the periods.

When the program for the stage is completed it will be published along with other information on worldjunior2014.com and swehockey.se.

Welcome to the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship and its Fan Zone!

Mr Leth

Oct 4, 2010
Malmö
Although the Fan Zone has been known for quite some time, it's the only real news about the tourney that has emerged lately.
I'm kinda hoping the WJC will be noticed around town too, like the Eurovision thingey was.
The weather in Dec/Jan is a bit more tricky for outdoor stuff of course.

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
54 days and counting before the puck drops. So excited to be coming to Malmo to cheer on Team Canada. But first I must get over this cold. GO CANADA GO.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
So how many Canadian and Americans do you guys think will come over here? Picked up my tickets today to 5 games in the group stages, will be travelling down from Stockholm, so pumped! Hope to see a lot of you guys and maybe have a couple of beers and a good talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad