WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Leth

Oct 4, 2010
Malmö
@ jktrigger.
Yeah, it might seem a bit harsh but recommending a hotel is difficult or even impossible.
There's so many factors to consider.
What's reasonably priced for you, what's available, which has the right location and what's good enough standard...?!
Whenever I go abroad I spend some time on the internet finding those things out myself.
Rather than just getting info from one person you should search places like:

http://hotels.com
Or perhaps
http://tripadvisor.com

They're usually filled with reviews from just about any tourist visiting the place before you did.
Yes it might be a bit of a haggle finding out what's acceptable for you but in the end it's worth it.

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
yea of course ive been looking on the internet. also have my travel agent looking. but i find that by asking the locals for their advice you can find the real hidden gems. not everything is on the web. thanks for your input.

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
We booked flights and a hotel (Elite Plaza Hotell Malmo - looks like decent reviews on Trip Advisor, booked through booking.com website). Now just have to get the game tickets. I'm not sure how the wire transfer works so if anyone could share what happens for that, I would really appreciate it! Does it go through my bank? Any recommendations?

Those that are going from Canada and making their own arrangements (vs a tour) should connect up and arrange a get-together on New Years Eve!

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
We booked flights and a hotel (Elite Plaza Hotell Malmo - looks like decent reviews on Trip Advisor, booked through booking.com website). Now just have to get the game tickets. I'm not sure how the wire transfer works so if anyone could share what happens for that, I would really appreciate it! Does it go through my bank? Any recommendations?

Those that are going from Canada and making their own arrangements (vs a tour) should connect up and arrange a get-together on New Years Eve!

Bank transfer was easily done from my bank's website. $35 USD fee, but totally worth it.

Wife and I will be making the trip from the US. We have our tickets for the games, but nothing else booked at this point. Don't think we'll see too many other Americans there, but would love to get together with any other hockey fans on New Year's Eve or after some of the other games!

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
Bank transfer was easily done from my bank's website. $35 USD fee, but totally worth it.

Wife and I will be making the trip from the US. We have our tickets for the games, but nothing else booked at this point. Don't think we'll see too many other Americans there, but would love to get together with any other hockey fans on New Year's Eve or after some of the other games!

Thanks for the info - hopefully it is as easy as that for us in Canada. I have just been confused by the online wire transfer setup through the bank or Paypal because they all ask for an email address. So I guess we'll see! Plan to order tickets Wednesday.

You're probably right that you'll be outnumbered by Canadians. Kinda like in Buffalo :). But I think it's great that you're going and it would be fun to hang out with you and any other hockey fans on New Years or other games. Already can't wait and it's 10 months away!

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
Thanks for the info - hopefully it is as easy as that for us in Canada. I have just been confused by the online wire transfer setup through the bank or Paypal because they all ask for an email address. So I guess we'll see! Plan to order tickets Wednesday.

You're probably right that you'll be outnumbered by Canadians. Kinda like in Buffalo :). But I think it's great that you're going and it would be fun to hang out with you and any other hockey fans on New Years or other games. Already can't wait and it's 10 months away!

I managed to do a wire transfer from Canada. However, when I originally called ticnet, they did not give me enough of the bank information to complete the transfer, so it ended up taking three tries before it was successful. My bank required ticnet's address, phone number, and bank account number, as well as their bank's IBAN number, SWIFT code, and address. Since my bank's hours corresponded almost exactly with when ticnet was closed, it took 4 days to get it right.

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
I managed to do a wire transfer from Canada. However, when I originally called ticnet, they did not give me enough of the bank information to complete the transfer, so it ended up taking three tries before it was successful. My bank required ticnet's address, phone number, and bank account number, as well as their bank's IBAN number, SWIFT code, and address. Since my bank's hours corresponded almost exactly with when ticnet was closed, it took 4 days to get it right.

Thank you! That is great information and we will make sure to gather all of this info from ticnet when on the phone with them.

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
A few tips for any North Americans who haven't purchased tickets yet:

* Do so soon, at least for the USA/Canada and Bronze/Gold games...there aren't as many left as I would have guessed.

* Before you call, go to the Ticnet.se website (you can select English there) and set up an account. The phone rep will be able to pull it up (via email address) and see your all info, saving you the trouble of having to provide it (and spell everything slowly) on the phone.

* You can see the exact seats that still available from the website for each game, and you can request those specific seats when you call. It's reassuring to see those seats become "unavailable" once you hang up the phone.

* If do you have an online account associated with your purchase, you can login from there and access your PDF tickets anytime, just in case you "lose" the email with the tickets.

* The wire transfer needs to be made in Swedish Krona. Your bank should be able to tell you what the exchange rate is.

* Ticnet asked that I initiate the transfer request the same day, or no later than the next day. The transfer took 3-4 business days to go through, and I got the email with the tickets a day or two after that.

* I has to ask the rep to repeat the the bank transfer info several times because of language issues. Here's that exact info so you can make sure you're getting it correctly:
Bank account number: SE9050000000052911006135 (yes, that's 8 consecutive zeros).
Swift code: ESSESESS
Bank info: SEB (Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB) , 10640 Stockholm, Sweden
Receiver: Ticnet AB, Box 450, Postcode 57325, Tranas, Sweden
Include you name and confirmation in the reference field.
That's the only info my bank needed (no email address), and my transfer went through correctly.

Good luck!

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
You're probably right that you'll be outnumbered by Canadians. Kinda like in Buffalo :).

Ah, the trash talking is starting already! :) That's ok, I'll just make sure my wife brings her John Carlson jersey...no bad memories there, right? :sarcasm:

In truth, I'm in awe of how crazy Canada goes for this tournament, and how many of you guys travel the globe for it. It'll be our first time at a World Jrs, and many of my hockey friends just don't understand why we're going. Too bad for them. I can't wait!

As far as New Year's Eve, the USA/Canada game is a 5:30pm start. Assuming the game will be over by 8 or 8:30pm, it'll be relatively early. Do any locals have suggestions for what to do or where to go that night? Does Malmo have a NYE celebration, or does it make more sense to take the train to Copenhagen for the evening/night? Any specific bars where a bunch of hockey fans could walk in a few hours before midnight and be welcomed?

alex wallace

Oct 14, 2006
destiny tours

they have some 750 signed up to go. including men and women of the canadian forces with nato.

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
Ah, the trash talking is starting already! :) That's ok, I'll just make sure my wife brings her John Carlson jersey...no bad memories there, right? :sarcasm:

In truth, I'm in awe of how crazy Canada goes for this tournament, and how many of you guys travel the globe for it. It'll be our first time at a World Jrs, and many of my hockey friends just don't understand why we're going. Too bad for them. I can't wait!

As far as New Year's Eve, the USA/Canada game is a 5:30pm start. Assuming the game will be over by 8 or 8:30pm, it'll be relatively early. Do any locals have suggestions for what to do or where to go that night? Does Malmo have a NYE celebration, or does it make more sense to take the train to Copenhagen for the evening/night? Any specific bars where a bunch of hockey fans could walk in a few hours before midnight and be welcome?

Hey THANK YOU for the summary. Really, really helpful. My husband is ordering tickets tomorrow. You are right that it is getting slim - front rows or corners/ends. Bright side is that if we choose the end zones it will be even cheaper!

Your comment about the trash talking made me laugh. I *almost* said in that message something about hanging out with Americans on New Years Eve after Canada beats the USA in the game :). So yes, let the trash talking begin! I think we will get along very well and will have a lot of fun! I am looking forward to meeting other crazy hockey fans...

Would love to hear from locals about where we can hang out on NYE. In Buffalo, there was a "First night" thing downtown, but it was outside and we really don't go for freezing our butts off outside in the middle of the night :). But a bar or something would work quite well!

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
Well, it is a preliminary round game, so yes I'd imagine Canada would be doing quite well at that point in the tournament... :)

Ouch!!! But I must admit, true lately. And you DO have bragging rights *currently*. BTW: the best goalie in junior hockey plays for our local team in Kitchener - that being the USA goalie John Gibson. Mind you, he hasn't played much since winning the gold medal. We are hoping he returns in time to make a long playoff run with our Kitchener Rangers!

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
Ouch!!! But I must admit, true lately. And you DO have bragging rights *currently*. BTW: the best goalie in junior hockey plays for our local team in Kitchener - that being the USA goalie John Gibson. Mind you, he hasn't played much since winning the gold medal. We are hoping he returns in time to make a long playoff run with our Kitchener Rangers!

*Currently* is all I have, so I'll take it! :handclap:

Didn't realize Gibson was hurt; anything serious? I don't really follow the CHL as much as I should, except for teams that have Capitals draft picks that I'm hoping turn into players for us (read: Tom Wilson of Plymouth).

Perhaps more relevant to this thread...any problems reserving your tickets today?

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
Didn't realize Gibson was hurt; anything serious? I don't really follow the CHL as much as I should, except for teams that have Capitals draft picks that I'm hoping turn into players for us (read: Tom Wilson of Plymouth).

Perhaps more relevant to this thread...any problems reserving your tickets today?

Gibson has been out since January with a hip/groin injury. Bad for goalies, so they are taking their time with him. Probably because the Ducks are insisting. Wouldn't surprise me if they put him on the shelf for the rest of the season, but would be disappointing.

We'll be Virginia in May and plan on a visit to Washington while we're there. Maybe we'll see if the Caps are in town and catch a game!

And yes - the ticket ordering went totally smoothly thanks to the good advice here. Having the account set up on Ticnet was the key. The woman on the phone said how easy that made it. And then she even emailed all the banking info to us (which we already had thanks to you). Put the wire transfer through yesterday - hoping they get it by Friday so we get our tickets!!!

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On
Hmmm I wonder if I can get a Keg through Pearson airport as 1 checked bag. Wont fit under my Jersey. And I guess IKEA meatballs are off the menu. I like Horses BUT....

jktrigger

Feb 13, 2013
Courtice, On

Hey there Rangerette we are a group of 4 from Oshawa/Pickering area. we also are looking to meet up with Canadian Fans while we are in Malmo. So we will keep in touch. we are looking to leave Toronto Dec 28th after Christmas with the Family. Still undecided where we are staying. We had so much fun in Buffalo, besides the outcome, This should be an incredible trip.

Mr Leth

Oct 4, 2010
Malmö
Not too many 'locals' hanging here, I'm always sneaking around in the shadows though.
Just haven't got any good info to share at the moment.
Tried to find something about NYE but found zippo.
Well a bar in Copenhagen which I know absolutely nothing about.
Anyway it's still 9 months away so I guess things will show up eventually...
Haven't seen anything about the WJC arrangements either except for that "there will be a fan zone" thingy.
Visited Malmö Isstadion today and it's still a construction site.
Oh well, if I stumble upon anything new I'll let you all know. :)

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Picked up tickets for the semi's and the final today, looked into going down for an entire week and catch Sweden-Russia and the quarterfinals but with hotel stays I'm thinking that would just turn out to be far too expensive.

What a disaster it'd be for me if Sweden end up going out before the semi's. :laugh:

HugeMidget

Jan 13, 2009
Don't know if this is a stupid question, but for those who ordered ticks from NA, did you have to pay a long-distance charge for ticnet.se? If so, how much was it?

Thanks

webnogg

Feb 25, 2013
Washington, DC
Don't know if this is a stupid question, but for those who ordered ticks from NA, did you have to pay a long-distance charge for ticnet.se? If so, how much was it?

Do you mean how much was the phone call to order tickets? My cell phone provider from the US (AT&T) would have been ridiculous...some like $1.89 per minute. Instead I used Google Voice to call them. From my laptop, that costs .02 cents per minute from US to Sweden. The phone call itself lasted maybe 20 minutes or so (with me picking specific seats for each game I wanted), so total cost was around 40 cents (vs. almost $40 if I had used my cell phone).

I have no idea if Google Voice is available in Canada, but if it is...it's super easy to use and highly recommended.

HugeMidget

Jan 13, 2009
Do you mean how much was the phone call to order tickets? My cell phone provider from the US (AT&T) would have been ridiculous...some like $1.89 per minute. Instead I used Google Voice to call them. From my laptop, that costs .02 cents per minute from US to Sweden. The phone call itself lasted maybe 20 minutes or so (with me picking specific seats for each game I wanted), so total cost was around 40 cents (vs. almost $40 if I had used my cell phone).

I have no idea if Google Voice is available in Canada, but if it is...it's super easy to use and highly recommended.

Wow, didn't even no this Google Voice existed! Just looked it up and it is available in Canada with 2 cents a minute to Sweden. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad