Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
And if Stralman wants more than 4-4.5? He's going to have a large market and we can't just cave to whatever his demands are. There have to be secondary options of which Boyle may be one of them.

Would rather sign a bounce-back candidate like Pitkanen for a lot less than that and then let him compete with the kids in camp.

SupersonicMonkey*

And if Stralman wants more than 4-4.5? He's going to have a large market and we can't just cave to whatever his demands are. There have to be secondary options of which Boyle may be one of them.

There has to be a better plan B than (soon to be 38 year old) Dan Boyle.

And this is why i mentioned Gorton and Sather earlier. Dan Boyle reeks of Sather. Finding a diamond in the rough, creative move with upside is more inline with what Gorton does.

Dan Boyle is the lazy move.

If Stralman indeed prices himself out, then find the next Stralman. Or at least the next John Moore. Do something with upside. Boom potential.

And if Stralman isn't worth more than that to the Rangers, then Staal sure isn't worth 6+ when McDonagh is earning considerably less and fits Vigneault's sytem perfectly.

Really crummy situation. I just hope it works out. But IMO Boyle is not the answer.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
And while the Rangers would be interested in giving Boyle — who suffered a concussion in October from which he had lingering symptoms for at least three months, according to an interview he gave last season — a one-year, over 35 contract loaded with bonuses that can be deferred against the cap until 2015-16, it appears as if the defenseman is seeking a two-year deal and at a price higher than the $4 million the Blueshirts have essentially set aside to fill the slot that belonged to Stralman.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/25/rangers-interested-in-offensive-defenseman-dan-boyle/

2 years/$10M. Boyle will get that in free agency.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Best to forget Boyle--he's old--another player who is very much on the downside of his career and he may be injury prone. Not the kind of guy I'd waste a lot of money on.

Pitkanen is interesting to me if he's healthy. But he might cost too much as well.

Anyway I've heard **** that Brad Richards is interested in staying in the area--maybe with the Islanders.

I think the Rangers are going to sign 4 or 5 UFA's total. 1 defenseman and the others will be forwards.

Some interesting names for me beyond Boyle, Moore, Pouliot and Carcillo would be Winnik, Jokinen, Downie, Vrbata, Ott, Raymond--maybe Roy.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Beyond whether he's healthy or not Pitkanen is a lefty.

There really is not a lot to choose from as far as right shooting d-men. There's Stralman and Niskanen--who will be really pricey. There's 36 year old Mike Weaver. There's 40 year old Sami Salo. There's Tom Gilbert--who brings some offense and is still in his 20's. There's Diaz and there's 20 something Nate Prosser who could probably do a pretty good job on the third pair. Stralman taking the $4 mil per would be IMO ideal. The best case scenario.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Derek Roy would be a nice pickup. Should come cheap and slots into 3C with no issue.

He was a very good player for Buffalo. I think he got sidetracked a bit when he went out west. Wouldn't mind Jussi Jokinen--that guy is about as deadly as it comes in shootouts.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Beyond whether he's healthy or not Pitkanen is a lefty.

There really is not a lot to choose from as far as right shooting d-men. There's Stralman and Niskanen--who will be really pricey. There's 36 year old Mike Weaver. There's 40 year old Sami Salo. There's Tom Gilbert--who brings some offense and is still in his 20's. There's Diaz and there's 20 something Nate Prosser who could probably do a pretty good job on the third pair. Stralman taking the $4 mil per would be IMO ideal. The best case scenario.

Well, if we're not getting Stralman and we're not getting Niskanen, then you're potentially looking at lefty options on the 3rd pair (barring a trade) in any case. That's not to say McIlrath/Zamorsky/Hughes/Andersson/Noreau/Donnay (in approximate order of likelihood) won't make a case for that spot out of camp either, but you can't count on them; the whole point of my interest in a Pitkanen or someone similar is that you need insurance in case McI and the others aren't ready yet and it's better to have a guy who can actually play the game than a stiff who holds his stick the "right" way. (Pun intended.)

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
Some interesting names for me beyond Boyle, Moore, Pouliot and Carcillo would be Winnik, Jokinen, Downie, Vrbata, Ott, Raymond--maybe Roy.

I'd absolutely be interested in Vrbata as well as Jokinen -- assuming we're talking about Jussi and NOT(!) Olli Jokinen. Even Mason Raymond would be a solid pickup adding to our team speed.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Vrbata is a right handed shot.. but where would we slot him?. and we'd probably have to move a winger in a trade.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You folks all know that wasting cap space that could be spend on Stralman on a guy like Boyle, who would immediately become only the 2nd best offensive dman on this team and probably the 5th best defensively, would be a silly thing to do.

Whether Sather agrees remains to be seen.

I want offense from the blueline, what I don't want is a pricey overpaid defensive liability good for about 30 points in our current setup.

BarbaraAlphanse

If Yakupov could be had for TB's 2015 2nd and Kristo/McIlrath... i'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

I'd slot him on Poo's spot.

Yak-Brass-Zucc

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Yakupov could be had for TB's 2015 2nd and Kristo/McIlrath... i'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

I'd slot him on Poo's spot.

Yak-Brass-Zucc

I think most people would for that package...

But I'd expect it would take more and these kinds of things never seem to work out in our favor.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think most people would for that package...

But I'd expect it would take more and these kinds of things never seem to work out in our favor.

There was a report that his value had slunk down significantly. Any other year and I think this is fantasy land, but I wonder what his value truly is. I can't imagine him and his agent are too pleased playing in Edm, either. Every game he plays there his value will decrease.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I really don't think Yakupov has fallen that far that a 2nd and Mcilrath gets it done.. but if it does, by all means, lets do it

BarbaraAlphanse

I really don't think Yakupov has fallen that far that a 2nd and Mcilrath gets it done.. but if it does, by all means, lets do it

I don't know, either.

He could force his way out... but that time seems to have passed.

Tim Erixon did that for us several years ago and we got him for dirt cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad