Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 39s
Les négociations entre Anton Stralman et les Rangers ne progressent pas comme prévu. Les prochains jours seront déterminants. #tvasports

translated...

Renaud Lavoie @ renlavoietva 39s
Negotiations between Anton Stralman and Rangers are not progressing as expected. The next few days will be crucial. # tvasports

Hmmm guess my source was right:sarcasm:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
glass half full or empty.

just barely made the 2nd round of the playoffs.

then barely escaped the 3rd round

then got toasted in the finals .......

how many here really believe that this team can return to the scf as presently constructed ?

i do not.

I dont see getting back there if we do not address the center position.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not surprised. I'm sure Stralman is trying to capitalize on the media praise he got during the playoffs. Rangers like Staal and probably don't want Stralman's contract to jeopardize their ability to re-sign him.

Hitching their wagon to the wrong guy again.

Ahhh to be a Rangers fan.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
You didn't see them getting there in the first place. Luckily for them, hockey games aren't decided by what happens in your mind brain.

Point conceded.

Start these playoffs again and I'd still hold that opinion.

Im not a believer in a lot of these guys.

BarbaraAlphanse

So if not for Stralman... who?

I'd be a proponent to add in Dan Boyle for Klein... not Stralman. Him at an extended and high responsibility role has not only a possibility of becoming disastrous but a probability. I wanted him for a limited role that allowed him to focus on PP duties and took away as much 5 v 5 duties as possible. Top 4 role? I think i'd vomit. He'd be burnt out by March.

Personally, my choice would be Niskanen... allowing him to be with a stay at home defenseman and aggressively pursue offense. He'll be looking at 4.5, perhaps a shade more.

Perhaps you trade Klein and something for Mike Green. Although that kills the 3rd pairing's ability to actually play a lot in a game.

Dammit, resigning Stralman was a focal point to a successful offseason for our team, IMO.

SupersonicMonkey*

Unreal that they are willing to risk Stralman leaving, with even a thought that Dan Boyle could replace him. Or Kevin Klein for that matter.

It's that time of year where Sather needs to be hog-tied and put in a closet and let Jeff Gorton handle things.

If Stralman walks because they refused to go more than 4 years...

Dimz92

Oct 6, 2011
Brooklyn
glass half full or empty.

just barely made the 2nd round of the playoffs.

then barely escaped the 3rd round

then got toasted in the finals .......

how many here really believe that this team can return to the scf as presently constructed ?

i do not.

Toasted in the finals? You can't be serious, and barely escaped 3rd round? I apologize on behalf of the Rangers for only making the finals in 6 games in round 3..... How dare that we did not sweep MTL, I guess the Kings barely made the finals since they went 7 in the previous three rounds, reading something like that makes me want to swallow my iPad at times.... Can we return to the SCF? Pardon your soul we only have arguably the best goalie In the league now, and arguably the best D core, this team made the finals with brad Richards as the number two center and Nash scoring three goals.....but ye we are definetly toast as presently constructed, let's blow it up and complain about chemistry issues for the first 40 games... My lord

BarbaraAlphanse

Unreal that they are willing to risk Stralman leaving, with even a thought that Dan Boyle could replace him. Or Kevin Klein for that matter.

It's that time of year where Sather needs to be hog-tied and put in a closet and let Jeff Gorton handle things.

If Stralman walks because they refused to go more than 4 years...

If you don't think Gorton has a heavy say in this... you're mistaken.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Jeff Gorton gets a lot of credit and Sather really only gets blame.

Anyone else notice that every good move is Gorton's decision, and every bad move is Sather's?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Seriously if you're gonna bash sather you have to bash Gorton too. I actually believe Gorton does most the work and glen signs the papers. Sather struck gold twice as a rangers GM. Hank, who was all Crister Rockstrom, and McDonagh, who Sather admitted he had never heard of before seeing the trade papers. These two were all Rockstrom Clarke and Gorton. So while I don't agree with bashing sather for all of his more recent moves (Richarda and Nash) I do think he's ridiculously out of touch and is just enjoying the title of GM and President of hockey operations.

I do blame 2000-2011 on Sather. I don't give Gorton all or most of the credit for 2012, but since then the team has changed drastically and I do think he's a key reason why.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Im sure he'll be just fine if the Rangers pay him market value and hes still on the 4th line. He'll lose out on a couple mins a game the way AV runs 4 lines. Big whoop.

The real issue is that people think it'll be easy to replace him and that is patently false.

As you are well aware, this is a bit of a Prust 2.0 situation. Letting Prust go was NOT a mistake, who the Rangers spent the money on was. Just because the Rangers wasted money on multiple junk players does not discount making the correct move w/ Prust asking for too much money.

With who the Rangers are losing this offseason, it does look like they are poised to take a stepback. Anyone ignoring that is delusional or one of those Brian Boyle haters. But Brian Boyle will get a Boyd Gordon + contract. Add in the fact that Boyle is always fantastic in the playoffs, he'll have his pick of the litter.

In making hard decisions, if I had to choose between Boyle and Dom Moore, I pick Moore as he'll be a million + cheaper and a much better fit. Boyle is not a center outside of faceoffs. Ignoring Dom Moore's terrible start to the season, an actual center in Moore is what made the 4th line work. Money saved on Boyle goes to a much better fit, for the 3rd line LW in Pouliot who could be a 20 goal scorer in his current role.

Boyle is a great guy, an even better teammate, and important piece, just not for 3 million on the Rangers. Tough choices must be made.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I think Dom Moore is the reason our 4th line is what it is. He's a leader and he does have some skill. He changed the dynamic of that line and I hope they don't let him walk.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Do you guys wanna pay 4.5 plus for Stralman? Nikitin got that on 2 yrs which us still nuts

Boyle is a two yr gamble and helps the PP immediately . Staal , Boyle 2nd pair is solid

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If were not bringing in a high priced player should be no reason we can't come to a deal with the guys we want to keep

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
McD-G
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein

Is not awful. It's okay, but it's not great either.

But

Boyle - McD at the point on the PP looks mighty fine to me.

Where are the advanced stats guys with Boyle's numbers? Is he really that bad in decline?

SupersonicMonkey*

Do you guys wanna pay 4.5 plus for Stralman? Nikitin got that on 2 yrs which us still nuts

Boyle is a two yr gamble and helps the PP immediately . Staal , Boyle 2nd pair is solid

Strongly disagree.

Staal-Boyle would be disasterous. As would Moore-Boyle if Klein moved up instead of Boyle.

Boyle can't handle tough defensive responsibility against the kind of opposition and minutes Stralman handled. Boyle would be running around getting beat and Staal doesn't have the foot speed to cover.

John Moore doesn't have the experience to handle having a poor defensive partner.

Losing Stralman and committing to Staal long-term is equally as foolish IMO. Staal's injury history, his lack of foot speed in a system that demands quickness, and the fact he will demand 6+ million per year.

Stralman needs to be signed. 4-4.5 for 6 years will be a bargain. When Girardi starts to break down Stralman can move up. The cap will increase and 4.5 for what Stralman provides will be a bargain.

6+ for slow-footed Staal and injury prone Staal will be detrimental.

They're going to be stingy over a few hundred thousand and a couple of extra years for a guy who blossomed into a legitimate borderline top pair caliber defender as a Ranger, but then go out and drop a truck load of cash on some other club's UFA's front lawn. While replacing Stralman with a washed up Boyle.

If they screw this one up it will be arguably the largest blunder the Rangers have made in over a decade.

The Rangers strength comes from the net out. Lundqvist and the defense corp. Remove Stralman and McDonagh becomes the only real mobile defenseman in the top four.

Or we can retain Stralman, move Staal and fill that spot with another mobile defenseman and continue building to Vigneault's system's strengths. Speed, transition.

It's backward committing to Vigneault and adopting his system and then removing players that fit and replace them with players that don't. It makes no sense.

They can't screw this one up. It will come back and haunt them, guaranteed.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Strongly disagree.

Staal-Boyle would be disasterous. As would Moore-Boyle if Klein moved up instead of Boyle.

Boyle can't handle tough defensive responsibility against the kind of opposition and minutes Stralman handled. Boyle would be running around getting beat and Staal doesn't have the foot speed to cover.

John Moore doesn't have the experience to handle having a poor defensive partner.

Losing Stralman and committing to Staal long-term is equally as foolish IMO. Staal's injury history, his lack of foot speed in a system that demands quickness, and the fact he will demand 6+ million per year.

Stralman needs to be signed. 4-4.5 for 6 years will be a bargain. When Girardi starts to break down Stralman can move up. The cap will increase and 4.5 for what Stralman provides will be a bargain.

6+ for slow-footed Staal and injury prone Staal will be detrimental.

They're going to be stingy over a few hundred thousand and a couple of extra years for a guy who blossomed into a legitimate borderline top pair caliber defender as a Ranger, but then go out and drop a truck load of cash on some other club's UFA's front lawn. While replacing Stralman with a washed up Boyle.

If they screw this one up it will be arguably the largest blunder the Rangers have made in over a decade.

The Rangers strength comes from the net out. Lundqvist and the defense corp. Remove Stralman and McDonagh becomes the only real mobile defenseman in the top four.

Or we can retain Stralman, move Staal and fill that spot with another mobile defenseman and continue building to Vigneault's system's strengths. Speed, transition.

It's backward committing to Vigneault and adopting his system and then removing players that fit and replace them with players that don't. It makes no sense.

They can't screw this one up. It will come back and haunt them, guaranteed.

And if Stralman wants more than 4-4.5? He's going to have a large market and we can't just cave to whatever his demands are. There have to be secondary options of which Boyle may be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad