Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I just dont see how a lot of turnover benefits the Rangers. This is a team that just made the finals.

Neither do I. I've thought about trading Staal for a center, but I just think that, in the end, our defense is what this team is built upon, and we need to keep it together as best we can.

At this point, I just want to keep most of the roster together and let some kids fight it out for Richards' spot.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Fasth - Moore - Dorsett

All 3 played 4th line minutes for the Rangers in the playoffs.

and all 3 did so effectively. Boyles a damn good player on the 4th line. but i'll say it again. you dont pay 4th liners that kind of money.

the Mike Richards thing is just idiotic. They didnt sign Richards to be a 4th liner, they got him to be a 2nd liner. he fell off the map.

we KNOW what Boyle is.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
If they keep Brassard they should retain Pouliot if only to maintain consistency of a very good line..

Dom Moore should get the nod over Boyle. Hes a much more effective player all around.

Boyle will want too much, and honestly if they can't replace what he brings from within this org. Is screwed....

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Neither do I. I've thought about trading Staal for a center, but I just think that, in the end, our defense is what this team is built upon, and we need to keep it together as best we can.

At this point, I just want to keep most of the roster together and let some kids fight it out for Richards' spot.

That plan doesn't get us out of the second round much less back to the finals...

They have to find a way to improve, even if amounts to just acquiring more RH shots

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't think the Rangers have a single option in the system to replace what Boyle brings.

Which is probably the most concerning thing. Back to the 4th line UFA carousel...hope everyone enjoyed rolling four lines for one season.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Boyle makes some sense if Stralman has either priced himself out or won't re-sign. Short contract. PP QB. Slow-footed but has a lot of smarts similar to Andrei Markov.

Not anywhere close to my top choice but there are worse players out there.

Do not want 35+ Dan Boyle on ANY contract.
Need younger, faster stronger.
Even if growing pains.
Win now mentality = fatal.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Team is good but u have to wonder if the death of MSL's mom made them look better than they were. Kinda like riding on emotion

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think the Rangers have a single option in the system to replace what Boyle brings.

Which is probably the most concerning thing. Back to the 4th line UFA carousel...hope everyone enjoyed rolling four lines for one season.

I agree. Moore had a real good year but Boyle IMO is the bigger loss. Our best penalty killer as far as I'm concerned and his size is a problem for other teams.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I know the guy has some injury concerns, however, would anyone else be interested in Darren Helm if he were to become available for little to no cost?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Id take Pouilot over Boyle any day. Boyle brings alot but so does Moore who can do so for less. Pouilot was part of our best line all year

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I just dont see how a lot of turnover benefits the Rangers. This is a team that just made the finals.

glass half full or empty.

just barely made the 2nd round of the playoffs.

then barely escaped the 3rd round

then got toasted in the finals .......

how many here really believe that this team can return to the scf as presently constructed ?

i do not.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Or move an expensive d man on a later contract to make room for a rookie on an ELC.

You need to feed up rookies in order to make the cap work.

Don't trade him.

THIS!!!!!

except every time I suggest moving Girardi, half the board convulses and the other half lets 'em.

Every time I said plant a seed, he said kill it before it grows, he said kill it before it grows....

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Personally try and bring everyone back except Boyle who will make too much

Kreider, Stepan, MSL
Nash, Brassard, Zuccarello
Hagelin, Miller, Pouliott or UFA
Fast, Moore or UFA, Dorsett
Carcillo or UFA

G same obviously
D same but Boyle if not Stralman

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Id take Pouilot over Boyle any day. Boyle brings alot but so does Moore who can do so for less. Pouilot was part of our best line all year

yup.

i like brian boyle and all but for the most part, hes a lumbering doofus with lobster claws. his game is valuable but poos, on this offensively challenged team, is more valuable.

pouliot brings it every night, hes dumb as rocks sometimes but he hits, he finishes checks, he hustles, he can surely skate, hes big and he has a very underrated shot. he can shoot it.

i like poos game more. hes got some offensive talent and some snarl and we dont have enough of that to throw his away.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Team is good but u have to wonder if the death of MSL's mom made them look better than they were. Kinda like riding on emotion

I don't know, we are not perfect but I've been saying for years how the best teams really are not "that" great either if you get what I mean. I mean, even if you look at a team like Chicago, 66% of the time you at best have guys like Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Handzus, Frolik, Stahlberg and the likes on the ice. They beat Boston much worse than LA beat us.

Our blueline don't move the puck good enough, that's true. We have a way to go there. A team that really pressures our Ds can get us of our game.

But if you just do the right things, it will get you far. I don't think we can compete next year, playing in June takes it toll on you. But we are not far from it the coming years.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Larry Brooks says that an “informed source†tells him that the Rangers did not inquire about Stastny and they don’t have the cap space to be part of his “auction.†(NY Post)

Yessssssss thank goodness

Doesn't really mean anything. First off that just means now there are conflicting reports. Second there's no real reason they have to talk to anyone they're interested in today. They can talk to anybody in this preliminary period up until the 1st. We know Sather doesn't rush things so even if he didn't reach out today it doesn't necessarily mean he is not interested.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
I don't know, we are not perfect but I've been saying for years how the best teams really are not "that" great either if you get what I mean. I mean, even if you look at a team like Chicago, 66% of the time you at best have guys like Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Handzus, Frolik, Stahlberg and the likes on the ice. They beat Boston much worse than LA beat us.

Our blueline don't move the puck good enough, that's true. We have a way to go there. A team that really pressures our Ds can get us of our game.

But if you just do the right things, it will get you far. I don't think we can compete next year, playing in June takes it toll on you. But we are not far from it the coming years.

Why can't we compete for the cup next year? No one picked us to go anywhere this year and they won't next year but I do think we're going to the cup next year and we're going to win it

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How many times does Boyle as a top-9 player on this team need to fail before people realize he's a fourth-liner?

The dude was terrible under Torts when he was on the third line, getting PP time, and getting time late in games when we were down a goal.

Boyle had a tremendous year under AV, because we finally had the proper depth to put Boyle where he belongs. On the fourth-line, on the top PK, and nowhere near the ice during PPs and late in the game if we were losing.

True if you keep him at C, which I believe was the case.
Not true if now he is LW (only C duty helping out of FOs).

But has to be LW with meaningful counterpart.
Like Zuc.
Not Dorsett

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Doesn't really mean anything. First off that just means now there are conflicting reports. Second there's no real reason they have to talk to anyone they're interested in today. They can talk to anybody in this preliminary period up until the 1st. We know Sather doesn't rush things so even if he didn't reach out today it doesn't necessarily mean he is not interested.

They said they don't have the cap space so I'm already writing off him

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I take Dan Boyle if Stralman walks. Offer the same money you were going to give Stralman then flip at the deadline if it isn't working...

That still doesn't answer the question about Staal though... Does he stay or go after this year?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Fasth - Moore - Dorsett

All 3 played 4th line minutes for the Rangers in the playoffs.

and all 3 did so effectively. Boyles a damn good player on the 4th line. but i'll say it again. you dont pay 4th liners that kind of money.

the Mike Richards thing is just idiotic. They didnt sign Richards to be a 4th liner, they got him to be a 2nd liner. he fell off the map.

we KNOW what Boyle is.

If you think Fast was effective on the 4th line in the playoffs (or effective at the NHL level in general) you must have a very liberal definition of effective

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Well hopefully he'll wise up and realize that a 4th line spot on AV's team is a lot like a 3rd line spot elsewhere minutes wise.

If he gets an annual offer of over $2.5M from another team, then yea, who could blame him for leaving or the Rangers for letting him go?

Alls Im saying is that it'll be a tougher hole to fill than most expect.

I absolutely agree that he'll be very hard to replace, but hard to replace can't equate to overpaying a 4th liner. We don't have the room for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad