Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Boyle - and its not even really close for me.

I think Pouliot is an idiot, and more in the realm of easily replaceable. I appreciated what he brought to that 3rd line, but Brassard and Zuccarello made that line go more often than not.

Bingo, hence pls give Boyle shot to complement Bras + Zuc
IF
he will step up, out of pocket, by taking 1 yr reduced deal to be the LW (+ faceoffs only)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I take Dan Boyle if Stralman walks. Offer the same money you were going to give Stralman then flip at the deadline if it isn't working...

That still doesn't answer the question about Staal though... Does he stay or go after this year?

Dan Boyle is going to get significantly more... $1m+... than Stralman.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
True if you keep him at C, which I believe was the case.
Not true if now he is LW (only C duty helping out of FOs).

But has to be LW with meaningful counterpart.
Like Zuc.
Not Dorsett

No. Boyle on any other line gives us 2 4th lines which was one of my biggest criticisms of Torts. Boyle kills offense on both sides of the ice. Don't need to murder a 3rd scoring line by putting Boyle on it.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Neither do I. I've thought about trading Staal for a center, but I just think that, in the end, our defense is what this team is built upon, and we need to keep it together as best we can.

At this point, I just want to keep most of the roster together and let some kids fight it out for Richards' spot.

This is basically how I feel. This team is built from the net out with goaltending and defense as the backbone of our team. So far as the offense goes, it seems likes Slats and the organization just can't get it right no matter how much tinkering they do. If we improve the offense at the expense of the defense, then whoever is acquired to help the offense has to produce and not underperform in order to offset the loss on D. It's definitely a risk.

I think there is going to be a good opportunity for some kids to earn spots in camp this year and I hope they take advantage of it. A constant influx of youth is key for cap flexibility and depth.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Matt Moulson

Matt Moulson hasn't yet been mentioned all that much in the free agency chatter.

We hear rumors about Stastny, Bolland, Gaborik (who just re-signed with LA for 7 years), Dan Boyle, etc.

Moulson has kind of slipped through the cracks it seems, which is very surprising for a guy who's scored over 30 goals three times in his young career, and put up 23 goals and 51 points while being traded around and playing for three different NHL teams last season.

Obviously addressing the Center position is priority number one (along with re-signing our core RFA's), but I believe there's a way we can improve our C depth and also add Moulson to our core:

1) TRADE: Staal, Brassard (RFA rights) for Ryan O'Reilly (Yes, in terms of value that's overpayment for a guy who's asking for 6+ million per season, but in this plan, we aren't bringing Brassard back anyway, so if this sweetens the deal enough to get it done, then why not? If Staal alone gets it done, then trade Brassard's RFA rights at the draft.

2) Sign Matt Moulson (6 years @ 5.25mil). (Can Moulson get more from another team? Most likely, yes. But can he get a better deal than that from a CONTENDING team? Maybe, but it's a lot less likely. He also wouldn't have to uproot his family, having played for the Islanders for 5 years)

3) Re-sign Zuccarello (4.0), Stralman (4.0), D. Moore (1.6), J. Moore (1.4), Kreider (2.6), and Carcillo (850k).

4) Trade Dorsett at the draft for a late round pick (for cap relief as he makes 1.6).

5) Sign Ryan Carter (3 years 2.7 mil = 900k per season) (He made 775k last season) He's a big fourth liner, strong defensively, and very good at cycling the puck in the corners. I think he would fit in quite nicely with Carcillo and Moore.

You end up with the following lineup:

Moulson O'Reilly St. Louis
Kreider Stepan Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Nash
Carcillo Moore Carter

(extras: Fast/Kristo/Lindberg/Haggerty)

McDonagh Girardi
Moore Stralman
Allen Klein

(extras: McIlrath/perhaps Diaz re-signed?)

Lundqvist
Talbot

Here's the cap-breakdown:

FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($5.250m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.000m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Chris Kreider ($2.600m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.850m) / Dominic Moore ($1.600m) / Ryan Carter ($0.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
John Moore ($1.400m) / Anton Stralman ($4.000m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,331,667; BONUSES: $1,200,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,768,333

(note: 1.7 million in cap-space for 13th F / 7th D and/or injuries/flexibility/etc.)

(note: I was generous with certain RFA contracts. If need be, Sather could actually pay some of the RFA's a few hundred thousand less than the estimated numbers here)

I think O'Reilly-Stepan-Miller-Moore down the middle is better than Stepan-Brassard-Miller-Moore.

I'm interested in how you guys feel about this. Is it a stupid plan? Is it unrealistic? Should we not even be focused on Moulson? Another interesting name that hasn't gotten much attention yet is Radim Vrbata. He's good for 20+ goals a season, can play either wing, and would cost less than Moulson, both in cap-hit and in term.

Let me know what you guys think, and don't hold back (I know you won't :P )

Thanks.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
This should go in the Offseason Thread.

And I think it's a terrible idea.

1. You're obsession with ROR is getting out of hand.
2. You don't just throw a player into a trade because you no longer need him.
3. The problem I have with this is the improvement from Brass to ROR is not as large as the downgrade from Staal-Moore to Moore-Allen.

Moulson at 5.25 isn't terrible but I'd rather just keep Brass and not sign Moulson under those circumstances.

Zuccarello Awesome*

lol. brutal deal for us on moulson. guys already 30 and did nothing this year.

23 goals, 28 assists = 51 points. And he was traded twice (played with three different teams) in one season.

That's nothing?

Yes, he's 30 and that's a valid factor to consider. But I don't think he "did nothing" last year.

Zuccarello Awesome*

This should go in the Offseason Thread.

And I think it's a terrible idea.

1. You're obsession with ROR is getting out of hand.
2. You don't just throw a player into a trade because you no longer need him.
3. The problem I have with this is the improvement from Brass to ROR is not as large as the downgrade from Staal-Moore to Moore-Allen.

Moulson at 5.25 isn't terrible but I'd rather just keep Brass and not sign Moulson under those circumstances.

There's no obsession. He's the best young center available. He's 23 years old and already an elite two-way center. Don't be rude. Comment on the post, not the poster. Thanks.

Other than that comment, you make some very valid points. I still think this makes us a much harder team to play against than with Brassard as our 2nd line center and Stepan as our 1st.

Your point about the downgrade from Staal to Moore is a very good point. Perhaps instead of signing Moulson, we spend that money on a LD and then let Haggerty/Kristo/Fast/etc battle it out for a 3rd-line wing spot, and move Nash back into the top-6.

BarbaraAlphanse

Hypothetically, if the Knicks somehow get Lebron, that could potentially be very bad for the Rangers.. as the Knicks will be playing well into may/june and the ice will be horrendous for home playoff games.

Just saying...

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
There's no obsession. He's the best young center available. He's 23 years old and already an elite two-way center. Don't be rude. Comment on the post, not the poster. Thanks.

Other than that comment, you make some very valid points. I still think this makes us a much harder team to play against than with Brassard as our 2nd line center and Stepan as our 1st.

Your point about the downgrade from Staal to Moore is a very good point. Perhaps instead of signing Moulson, we spend that money on a LD and then let Haggerty/Kristo/Fast/etc battle it out for a 3rd-line wing spot, and move Nash back into the top-6.

I wasn't trying to be rude - but literally every post you make involves trading Brassard and acquiring ROR. So to me, it seems like you're obsessed with acquiring ROR.

IF this were to happen, which I pray it doesn't, I'd much prefer not signing Moulson, and flipping Brassard for a young, cost-controlled LD. But I don't think Staal alone gets ROR, you'd probably have to give Miller.

We need young, cost-controlled assets. Trading the only one we have that has a chance at being a Top 6 forward is probably not the best move.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Hypothetically, if the Knicks somehow get Lebron, that could potentially be very bad for the Rangers.. as the Knicks will be playing well into may/june and the ice will be horrendous for home playoff games.

Just saying...

If the Knicks get LeBron...I still won't care about basketball. Just saying....:laugh:

BarbaraAlphanse

If the Knicks get LeBron...I still won't care about basketball. Just saying....:laugh:

Not making this a basketball discussion. But speculating about the implications that a move the Knicks make can have on the Rangers is something I think can be discussed.

Lebron to the Knicks means even ****tier ice in NY. Great.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 39s
Les négociations entre Anton Stralman et les Rangers ne progressent pas comme prévu. Les prochains jours seront déterminants. #tvasports

translated...

Renaud Lavoie @ renlavoietva 39s
Negotiations between Anton Stralman and Rangers are not progressing as expected. The next few days will be crucial. # tvasports

Zuccarello Awesome*

Commas are crucial.

Does this mean "negotiations are not progressing the way they were expected to" or

"negotiations are not progressing, AS EXPECTED"

?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I'm not surprised at all about stralman. Dmen get way overpaid on the market someone will give him 5M+

Zuccarello Awesome*

Dave Lozo: I'm hearing Mike Cammalleri is looking for a deal in the five-year, $25 million range. Considering what Gaborik got today, it seems fair.

I disagree with Lozo. Gaborik got 4.9 cap-hit over 7 years. That should mean Cammelleri (an inferior player) gets LESS than that. Perhaps 5 years, 22 million IMO.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Dave Lozo: I'm hearing Mike Cammalleri is looking for a deal in the five-year, $25 million range. Considering what Gaborik got today, it seems fair.

I disagree with Lozo. Gaborik got 4.9 cap-hit over 7 years. That should mean Cammelleri (an inferior player) gets LESS than that. Perhaps 5 years, 22 million IMO.

"Considering what Gaborik got" is lozo lozoing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get more. Gabs took a big pay cut, this won't be the norm

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Looks like Klein might be a candidate for D #2 position.

Just as I thought.

Dan Boyle, here we go? :amazed::shakehead

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Not surprised. I'm sure Stralman is trying to capitalize on the media praise he got during the playoffs. Rangers like Staal and probably don't want Stralman's contract to jeopardize their ability to re-sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad