Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersfan02

Mar 6, 2004
Georgia
Watching calgary vs Brandon. I'm really impressed with Provorov. He's going to be a good player. Not sure if he's going to be Top 10.

Oh.. Fazleev scored SHG. Sanheim working hard creating chances.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Watching calgary vs Brandon. I'm really impressed with Provorov. He's going to be a good player. Not sure if he's going to be Top 10.

Oh.. Fazleev scored SHG. Sanheim working hard creating chances.

That goal by Provorov :amazed::amazed:

Fazleev and Lindbolm, maybe we get lucky with one of them.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Was at the game Hagg played very well, smooth on his feet. His shot is deceptive. Not a rocket by any means.

It was a perfectly placed shot tho.

Helly is lanky but his moves from post to post really easy. When the Phantoms pressed play he rarely looked rattled.

Some notes from our players.

Zepp looked in control all night - minus the gaff to his dman with the pass
Straka didn't do anything to impress.
Zortini was all over the place in a good way. He showed more in the game overall than our "prospects"
Manning is such a good d man. I would like to see him up next year. The team runs through him when he is on the ice. You could tell the team settles down and ramps up with him leading it.
Ryan white looks awesome. As soon as rose hill got hit from behind he immediately dropped gloves and went off.
Team loved that and gave him high fives and the like.
The Great Dane was very physical, didn't do too much to push the play. Which is good. Looks like his skating has improved but he still isn't fast.
The delisle kid is lanky and pinched a few times. He liked to use his body or try too.
Akeson was trying to create all the time. He has great hands.
Andrew Gordon is the hardest working ahl player I have ever seen play. For real. When he got on the ice his feet didn't stop moving.
Cousins was also a player who impressed when he wanted to assert himself. I found him to be a bit of a *****. Flopping and looking for calls when they weren't there. That pissed me off. He has skill and is smart when playing 200' but for **** sakes. Play with some dignity.

I'll be going today as well. Hoping to see stolarz in net today.

I'll drop a few lines afterward sometime.

How did Doug Pippy look in the warmup today?

Be pretty interesting had Stolarz gone down and they needed to use an old Avalon Cap.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
How did Doug Pippy look in the warmup today?

Be pretty interesting had Stolarz gone down and they needed to use an old Avalon Cap.

Pippy was a tiny man.... I was wondering who it was, couldn't read the nameplate well enough from what I saw.

He looked like a high school goalie, made a nice blocker save tho :)

Stolie played a good game, had a puck go in past him off a Ice Caps players head and a beauty snipe shot over his glove arm, he went down just a bit too early. Other than that a very solid game, tracked the puck well.

Cousins played a better game.
Great Dane had a fight, he should have killed the guy but didn't.

It was a 6-2 win. My hometown teams fans were annoyed with me again today :)

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Cousins will NEVER play with dignity. Dude has a Rinaldo personality, but the skill of a general third liner. Looks like he's finally starting to get some points too.

Excited to see what he turns into. Very intriguing third rounder.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Cousins should get a good shot to make the big club next year in a pretty much sink or swim scenario.

He's played well in the last two preseason's but seemingly never translated all of it at the AHL level.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We are starting to at least get a good crop of guys who could be productive yet cheap bottom 6'ers.

Cousins
Leier
Fazleev
Lindblom
NAK
Goule
Straka

With G, Jake, Simmonds, Schenn, Couts and Laughton, we just need that 1 scoring forward to add to the mix and then hope one of these guys overachieve a bit.

And then of course pray that out kids on D all develop.

I pray we sell off a bunch this year and get more picks and prospects....could set up our future quite nice.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Weekly Prospect Update
AHL
Nick Cousins - 35GP 9G 13A 22PTS +3
Taylor Leier - 32GP 8G 9A 17PTS -3
Robert Hagg - 30GP 3G 11A 14PTS +1
Petr Straka - 33GP 8G 5A 13PTS -3
Brandon Alderson - 21GP 3G 2A 5PTS -6
Shayne Gostisbehere - 5GP 0G 5A 5PTS -1
Mark Alt - 19GP 1G 3A 4PTS -3
Jesper Pettersson - 25GP 0G 2A 2PTS -3
Anthony Stolarz - 15GP 6-6-1 2.58GAA .923SV% 2SO

CHL (OHL, QMJHL, & WHL)
Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 36GP 17G 23A 40PTS +2
Travis Sanheim - 40GP 10G 26A 36PTS +11
Radel Fazleev - 42GP 13G 20A 33PTS +7
Tyrell Goulbourne - 35GP 14G 10A 24PTS +5
Samuel Morin - 14GP 3G 9A 12PTS +6

KHL
Valeri Vasiliev - 29GP 1G 2A 3PTS +5

NCAA
Michael Parks - 21GP 6G 14A 20PTS
Mark Friedman - 20GP 2G 7A 9PTS
David Drake - 17GP 1G 3A 4PTS
Reece Willcox - 15GP 1G 1A 2PTS
Terrance Amorosa - 8GP 0G 1A 1PTS
Merrick Madsen - DNP

SHL
Oskar Lindblom - 19GP 5G 5A 10PTS +4

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
We are starting to at least get a good crop of guys who could be productive yet cheap bottom 6'ers.

Cousins
Leier
Fazleev
Lindblom
NAK
Goule
Straka

With G, Jake, Simmonds, Schenn, Couts and Laughton, we just need that 1 scoring forward to add to the mix and then hope one of these guys overachieve a bit.

And then of course pray that out kids on D all develop.

I pray we sell off a bunch this year and get more picks and prospects....could set up our future quite nice.

Don't forget Parks!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
At least the Phantoms are looking likely to make the playoffs with this run they have gone on... 5th best point % in the east. 2 points behind Hershey and Portland with 2 and 3 games in hand.

08-09 was the last time they did and they have only made them twice in the last 10 seasons.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Plus, if things go well, they might be getting Ghost back in a month, which would be a MASSIVE boost.

Is there a chance of Morin being able to join them in the playoffs after his junior season and playoffs are over? I ask because I have no clue how the two leagues line up as far as dates go... which one usually ends sooner?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Plus, if things go well, they might be getting Ghost back in a month, which would be a MASSIVE boost.

Is there a chance of Morin being able to join them in the playoffs after his junior season and playoffs are over? I ask because I have no clue how the two leagues line up as far as dates go... which one usually ends sooner?

The AHL playoffs start at the end of April while the QMJHL playoffs start at the end of March. Rimouski is a top team (arguably the best) in the Q so a deep run & a possible berth in the Memorial Cup (runs around the middle of May until the end of the month) isn't out of question.

Sanheim, Fazleev, & Aube-Kubel play on teams that won't be real contenders in their leagues so they very well could be early additions.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The AHL playoffs start at the end of April while the QMJHL playoffs start at the end of March. Rimouski is a top team (arguably the best) in the Q so a deep run & a possible berth in the Memorial Cup (runs around the middle of May until the end of the month) isn't out of question.

Sanheim, Fazleev, & Aube-Kubel play on teams that won't be real contenders in their leagues so they very well could be early additions.

Oh, that's great.

Thanks for the info.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Anyone seen much of Friedman this year?

He is joint 7th in the NCAA in points for Dmen under 20. 9 in 20 and +5.

Werenski
Hanifin
Downing (97th pick 2013, Florida, Uni of Michigan)
Snuggerud (141st pick 2014, Blackhawks, Nebraska-Omaha)
Raskob (undrafted 2013)
Gross (undrafted 2013)

are the only ones with more points.

So he is 4th in scoring for 2014 eligible D men or younger.

USHL seems a really good place to get later steals in guys still playing there in their draft year... if you look at the scoring ratios from CHL to USHL the disparity is nowhere near what many would expect.

Erik Foley, Vili Saarijärvi, Brent Gates, Tanner Laczynski, Robby Jackson and Nikita Pavlychev seem interesting and likely to be mid to late picks.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Sanheim is the guy I'm not most excited for, he seems like the kind of players that turns into a #1. He does have the tools, it'll be a wait and see if they all develop.

I would love to have a pairing of Sanheim/Ghost in a couple of years. Man would that be fun.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I could see Sanheim blossom into a less physical Pieterangelo. THey are the same height and will probably weigh around the same when sanheim fills out.

Sanheim is more mobile and is scoring at a higher rate than Pieterangelo was in their post draft year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That was the name I threw out around draft time. Probably a bit lofty, but it's hard to find a comparable because there just aren't many big defensemen, that can skate, and have high end offensive skills. Pietrangelo's numbers took a hit in the CHL because they wanted him to focus on the defensive side. He was also pretty raw when he was drafted. Button threw out McDonagh and I can see that too. Again lofty, but I can see it.

denominator

Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
He would be putting up more points if they used him better.

Agreed, it's been a frustrating season to watch him get perpetually stifled by Ben Thomas. They currently have 16 year old Jake Bean quarterbacking the first PP unit and Sanheim with Thomas on the second. It's been amazing over the past 18 months to watch Sanheim come out of nowhere and grow into the #1 defenceman, while Thomas was ranked as a potential first round pick at the start of the 13-14 season and has since completely bombed.

They moved Fazleev onto a line with Virtanen and Lang for the Brandon game and that seemed to work much better. He and Virtanen are clearly meshing and Fazleev fed Virtanen a number of great passes for one-timers. Here's hoping the coach doesn't juggle the lines for the next game as he is wont to do.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah Ben Thomas has been a disaster since he returned from injury. Absolutely killing Sanheim even strength and on the PP. The way they use Sanheim on the PP now, he is pretty much useless. Not to sound like a homer, but he should be controlling the play. He's one of the best, if not the best, playmakers on the team. He does his best work playing at the top of the umbrella- gives him room to work and he's good enough with the puck to prevent a SH chance. The last time he played the top he fed Virtanen a one-timer for a goal. Right now they just have him hovering around the half wall and he's not exactly a guy that's going to shoot one-timers all PP. IMO half the PP's success depends on the alignment and right now they are just a mess. No structure. No cohesion.

Now Bean's been good on the PP the last few games so I don't expect them to move him, but before Sanheim and Virtanen left for WJ camp the PP was clicking after struggling in the beginning of the year. They had Sanheim QBing at the top flanked by Virtanen and Tambellini, Fazleev working the goaline and Kanzig was actually a pretty good net presence. Whether its a Flyers connection or what, Fazleev and Sanheim have really good chemistry. They scrapped it for some reason and tried to spread guys out which didn't work earlier in the year, but they're trying it again.

They're 3rd in the league in scoring, but I feel like they're not playing to their full potential.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah Ben Thomas has been a disaster since he returned from injury. Absolutely killing Sanheim even strength and on the PP. The way they use Sanheim on the PP now, he is pretty much useless. Not to sound like a homer, but he should be controlling the play. He's one of the best, if not the best, playmakers on the team. He does his best work playing at the top of the umbrella- gives him room to work and he's good enough with the puck to prevent a SH chance. Right now they just have him hovering around the half wall and he's not exactly a guy that's going to shoot one-timers all PP. IMO half the PP's success depends on the alignment.

Now Bean's been good on the PP the last few games so I don't expect them to move him, but before Sanheim and Virtanen left for WJ camp the PP was clicking after struggling in the beginning of the year. They had Sanheim QBing at the top flanked by Virtanen and Tambellini, Fazleev working the goaline and Kanzig was actually a pretty good net presence. Whether its a Flyers connection or what, Fazleev and Sanheim have really good chemistry. They scrapped it for some reason and tried to spread guys out which didn't work earlier in the year, but they're trying it again.

They're 3rd in the league in scoring, but I feel like theirs not playing to their full potential.

This really stood out to me watching Calgary play on Sunday. I'll admit I haven't seen Sanheim play too many games before this, but what always impressed me before was how he saw the ice, and how he had that instinct to control the play. He doesn't look like that player on their current PP.

I'm just hoping it gets sorted out, and it doesn't effect his confidence or anything.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This really stood out to me watching Calgary play on Sunday. I'll admit I haven't seen Sanheim play too many games before this, but what always impressed me before was how he saw the ice, and how he had that instinct to control the play. He doesn't look like that player on their current PP.

I'm just hoping it gets sorted out, and it doesn't effect his confidence or anything.

Yeah its stupid. It just started recently too. He was playing the QB spot all year and doing well and for whatever reason **** just got jumbled up. Idk if its a coaching decision or what, but he just looks uncomfortable where they have him playing. I mean I know I'm looking at this from a Flyer's fan perspective, but the Calgary coaches have got to recognize this no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad