Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Sickening isn't it? (I had the Flyers on in the background)

Brendan Burke blows btw.

It is tough to watch but I firmly believe that this team is only a few players from being a monster. This year is over, so I hope Ron makes the right moves for the future.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It is tough to watch but I firmly believe that this team is only a few players from being a monster. This year is over, so I hope Ron makes the right moves for the future.
I guess our definition of "a few" is a little off :laugh:

Didn't know that. He is listed as a left wing on a lot of sites. Don't see where he will fit in at center for the Flyers in the future.
If and when he becomes an NHLer, our roster will probably be much different. We really aren't that deep at center. It's pretty much him and Cousins outside of the NHL. If he makes it he will be a bottom 6 depth player. PKer. He might play wing at some point, but I just don't see it. He's not that big. Not that fast. Not that skilled. Just solid all around.

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

It all depends on how the defensive prospects come along and how quickly they can adapt. If they come in and star right away, then yeah, this will be one hell of a club. However, if they struggle, it's going to be a long couple of years until they get up to speed. Hopefully one of them can step in next year and really take a lead role.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It all depends on how the defensive prospects come along and how quickly they can adapt. If they come in and star right away, then yeah, this will be one hell of a club. However, if they struggle, it's going to be a long couple of years until they get up to speed. Hopefully one of them can step in next year and really take a lead role.

The Flyers need top 3 defenders. Expecting any of the prospects to excel in that role right away is dreaming IMO. Defenders with better pedigrees than the Flyers current prospects like Doughty and Pronger all struggled their first year. OEL could barely get on the ice his rookie season. It can happen as Ekblad has been great this year but the overwhelming probability is that the prospects are going to have some big growing pains their first year in the league.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
OEL played 48 games and averaged 15 minutes as a 19 year old rookie, and ended up 6th on the Coyotes in TOI amongst defensemen.

That's a long way from barely being able to get on the ice, and something I won't be surprised to see at least one of 20 year old Morin, 20 year old Hagg or 22 year old Ghost do for us next season.

19 year old Sanheim will almost certainly play in Junior for another full season, and be on Team Canda.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
OEL played 48 games and averaged 15 minutes as a 19 year old rookie, and ended up 6th on the Coyotes in TOI amongst defensemen.

That's a long way from barely being able to get on the ice, and something I won't be surprised to see at least one of 20 year old Morin, 20 year old Hagg or 22 year old Ghost do for us next season.

19 year old Sanheim will almost certainly play in Junior for another full season, and be on Team Canda.

So playing in a little more than half the games and only 15 minutes a night when he wasn't scratched is getting a lot of ice time. Since the discussion is having an impact right out if the gate; he was a 6th defenseman for a little more than half the games. Morin and Gostisbehere coming in at that same role is not going to help the Flyers playoffs hope much next year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
"OEL could barely get on the ice his rookie season" was an inaccurate exaggeration. And he was younger than Morin, Ghost and Hagg will be.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The Flyers need top 3 defenders. Expecting any of the prospects to excel in that role right away is dreaming IMO. Defenders with better pedigrees than the Flyers current prospects like Doughty and Pronger all struggled their first year. OEL could barely get on the ice his rookie season. It can happen as Ekblad has been great this year but the overwhelming probability is that the prospects are going to have some big growing pains their first year in the league.

Oh I'm certainly not expecting much from any of them next year. Morin might actually make the big club next year, but yeah, his ice time is going to be bottom six for probably 75% of the year.

The only person I'd consider from the prospects starting next season with top four ice time would be Mark Alt and that's only because he's a few years older than everyone and has already experienced a couple of years of pro hockey.

Nope, gut feeling says next year is going to be another long year, but with some significant light at the end of the tunnel.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He has Petan as a the number 10 prospect in the world. Just further proves that undersized, skilled forwards are what gets Pronman going.

I'm also pretty sure that he only bases his rankings on his viewings of the WJC.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
"OEL could barely get on the ice his rookie season" was an inaccurate exaggeration. And he was younger than Morin, Ghost and Hagg will be.

He was a healthy scratch for a large portion of the year and when he did play, he got less minutes than what L. Schenn plays a the flyers 6th defenseman. I constitute that a barely getting on the ice but your definition must be different, which is fine.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
So playing in a little more than half the games and only 15 minutes a night when he wasn't scratched is getting a lot of ice time. Since the discussion is having an impact right out if the gate; he was a 6th defenseman for a little more than half the games. Morin and Gostisbehere coming in at that same role is not going to help the Flyers playoffs hope much next year.

Don't confuse playoff contender with playoffs. This team was a few key wins away from being a playoff team considering the shape of the east and the metro. If we had a better coach we may have been there with the talent we have.
Our D is made of supporting cast. They aren't as bad as they seem in their current more prominent role. With a few better dmen and better roles we are a playoff team next year. Adding to that a possible new coach and another year for couts and schenn to continue trending up.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
He has Petan as a the number 10 prospect in the world. Just further proves that undersized, skilled forwards are what gets Pronman going.

Typical Pronman. ESPN is truly terrible.

Forgot to mention he has Hicketts ahead of Sanheim!!! :laugh:

I just... I can't...
lX4vE9b.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're 2-3 years away, next year is working in the young defensemen, 2016-17 is when they take regular shifts, 2017-18 is when they start to blossom.

Meanwhile, Hextall can dump the bad contracts and finally have some flexibility to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines with more speed. Stolarz pushes Mason in goal and you're ready to make an extended run.

The key is not to panic the next two years, understand you have to build a team, and not go for a quick fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad