Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
It's all coaching that is hampering Sanheim. They've paired him with defensive defencemen earlier in the year and allowed him to be more free skating, but now that they've put Thomas as his partner he's trying to cover.

They also paired him off and on with Jake Bean ('98) in a mentorship role so he's covering there as well.

Couple that with some bizarre systems the new coach has introduced (all the players seem stifled), questionable goaltending and a forced commitment to shot-blocking, it's not a surprise that Sanheim has had a few off games.

How well has Bean been playing?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just checked Bowling Greens website... listed at 191lbs age 19 and 5'10. So yeh, he is pretty much ~there in terms of the weight he would play at in pro. Pretty much the same as Timonen, though he seems a bit taller than Kimmo, I imagine he is closer to 5'11 while Kimmo is closer to 5'9.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Just checked Bowling Greens website... listed at 191lbs age 19 and 5'10. So yeh, he is pretty much ~there in terms of the weight he would play at in pro. Pretty much the same as Timonen, though he seems a bit taller than Kimmo, I imagine he is closer to 5'11 while Kimmo is closer to 5'9.

I don't know. He's kind of short and stocky from what I remember from camp. If he's listed at 5'10 on the website, he's probably closer to 5'9.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't know. He's kind of short and stocky from what I remember from camp. If he's listed at 5'10 on the website, he's probably closer to 5'9.

I am mainly going off the draft, him and Aube-Kubel seemed pretty similar heights when stood right next to each other, maybe half an inch in it, and Aube-Kubel is listed everywhere as 5'11.

Speaking of Aube-Kubel he is another pretty broad kid... seen him listed at 190-194lbs this year.

denominator

Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
How well has Bean been playing?

For a 16, great. He's improved over the course of the year but still makes the occasional typical young player mistakes, like not having patience with the puck or poke-checking instead of playing the body, etc. I think he'll be a 2016 first rounder, but there's still a lot of hockey between now and then.

Yeah its stupid. It just started recently too. He was playing the QB spot all year and doing well and for whatever reason **** just got jumbled up. Idk if its a coaching decision or what, but he just looks uncomfortable where they have him playing. I mean I know I'm looking at this from a Flyer's fan perspective, but the Calgary coaches have got to recognize this no?

I really don't know why Thomas is on the powerplay at all. Calgary clearly has 2 players that can quarterback the PP in an umbrella formation (Sanheim and Bean). You've got 4 guys with decent/great one-timers and decent/great passing to play the half-wall (Virtanen, Fazleev, Rankin, Tambellini) and a pair of big guys that can dig down low (Helgesen, Karnaukhov). For some reason they play the 1st unit as an umbrella with Bean, Virtanen, and Fazleev but the 2nd unit with 2-high (Sanheim and Thomas).

As a side-note, Calgary was essentially playing with 5 defencemen on Sunday as they had 15 year old Aaron Hyman playing (he looked terrible). Looked to me as though either Sanheim or Kanzig was on the ice the entire time, and Bean, Thomas, and Zipp split the other side minutes. Sanheim was clearly the best defender on the ice for the Hitmen and while the WHL doesn't track icetime, I would estimate he played upwards of 25-30 minutes.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For a 16, great. He's improved over the course of the year but still makes the occasional typical young player mistakes, like not having patience with the puck or poke-checking instead of playing the body, etc. I think he'll be a 2016 first rounder, but there's still a lot of hockey between now and then.

I really don't know why Thomas is on the powerplay at all. Calgary clearly has 2 players that can quarterback the PP in an umbrella formation (Sanheim and Bean). You've got 4 guys with decent/great one-timers and decent/great passing to play the half-wall (Virtanen, Fazleev, Rankin, Tambellini) and a pair of big guys that can dig down low (Helgesen, Karnaukhov). For some reason they play the 1st unit as an umbrella with Bean, Virtanen, and Fazleev but the 2nd unit with 2-high (Sanheim and Thomas).

As a side-note, Calgary was essentially playing with 5 defencemen on Sunday as they had 15 year old Aaron Hyman playing (he looked terrible). Looked to me as though either Sanheim or Kanzig was on the ice the entire time, and Bean, Thomas, and Zipp split the other side minutes. Sanheim was clearly the best defender on the ice for the Hitmen and while the WHL doesn't track icetime, I would estimate he played upwards of 25-30 minutes.
Bean has a lot of work to do on the defensive end, but yeah, he looks promising.

25 minutes easily. Hyman looked like he could barely move his feet. Big kid, but not ready for that level. Is Harmsworth alive?

denominator

Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
25 minutes easily. Hyman looked like he could barely move his feet. Big kid, but not ready for that level. Is Harmsworth alive?

He hasn't played since November 28th. I missed that game due to weather so I don't know what happened. I'll ask around tomorrow night. On the plus side, the team gave Sanheim his A in the interim.

Hyman was an emergency call-up a couple of times last season and actually looked much better. Not sure if his mobility got worse or if Brandon was just a better team than he played last season and made him look terrible.

I don't know if Sanheim could have played much more than 27/28 minutes as he spent 4 in the box.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I was 5'9" and 185lbs on my 15th birthday. I was playing Football and Hockey at the time so I wasn't fat either. Problem was I only grew an inch after that. :laugh:

Some people just mature faster then others.

Or later, even. I went to college at 6'1" and finished my freshman year at 6'4." He can still grow!

Everytime I came home I heard about how I looked taller.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I meant that he looked older than 18. At least imo.

I know, that was the point of my post. I was pointing out that I was more physically mature then others my age, I was 15 and everyone thought I was a senior. Some people just mature earlier then others, while others as Sobrien pointed out, take longer.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Aube-Kubel scored his 18th & 19th goals of the year tonight.

He's scored 22 points in the months of December & January so far (14 games). He did this to start the year early in the season then hit a cold streak so hopefully that doesn't happen again.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Three primary assists for Travis sanheim tonight. one on penalty kill

They get him away from Ben Thomas and let him do his thing and this is what happens. All really good plays. Sold the shot and froze the goalie to give Rankin a wide open net on the SH goal. Threaded the needle on the 5 on 3 to give Rankin another tap in. Sucked the PKer in on the third goal to give Bean all day in the slot. Red Deer has the best PK in the WHL too.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
They get him away from Ben Thomas and let him do his thing and this is what happens. All really good plays. Sold the shot and froze the goalie to give Rankin a wide open net on the SH goal. Threaded the needle on the 5 on 3 to give Rankin another tap in. Sucked the PKer in on the third goal to give Bean all day in the slot. Red Deer has the best PK in the WHL too.

I love that you chose to watch this game live instead of the Flyers. :thumbu:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Calgary Hitmen ‏@WHLHitmen 2m2 minutes ago

Three stars: 3. Travis Sanheim 2. Conner Bleackley 1. Connor Rankin

... Well I will have to watch this game on replay later.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA

He's scored 22 points in the months of December & January so far (14 games). He did this to start the year early in the season then hit a cold streak so hopefully that doesn't happen again.
Pretty sure I read that the cold streak coincided with a knee on knee collision with Erne.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I really like the wingers in the last draft. NAK, Lindblom and Fazleez look like they have a good chance to make the NHL. They might never be stars but with the quality of centers the Flyers possess, they won't have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad