Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

denominator

Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
He's doing alright. Had a 4 game pointless streak (Faleev had a 5 gamer). The team hasn't been playing too well and he got a bit unlucky in the Lethbridge game when they scored 9 goals and didn't get to play much in the 3rd period. They had him paired with Ben Thomas for a bit who has been absolutely awful since he's come back from injury. Thomas has been -8 in 4 games since his return and managed to go -2 in Calgary's 9-2 win over Lethbridge. That is hard to do. That kind of gives you an idea of what he's playing with. Thomas scored last night on a 4 on 3 PP but managed to miss the net 3 times before that. Thomas is also filling in on the first PP with Virtanen out and thinks he's the QB when he's out there so that doesn't really help Sanheim or Calgary either.

The only game Sanheim's really been sub par in is the first game after he was returned from WJ camp prior to the Xmas break. The camp kind of killed the roll he was on, but he'll be alright.

It's all coaching that is hampering Sanheim. They've paired him with defensive defencemen earlier in the year and allowed him to be more free skating, but now that they've put Thomas as his partner he's trying to cover.

They also paired him off and on with Jake Bean ('98) in a mentorship role so he's covering there as well.

Couple that with some bizarre systems the new coach has introduced (all the players seem stifled), questionable goaltending and a forced commitment to shot-blocking, it's not a surprise that Sanheim has had a few off games.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's all coaching that is hampering Sanheim. They've paired him with defensive defencemen earlier in the year and allowed him to be more free skating, but now that they've put Thomas as his partner he's trying to cover.

They also paired him off and on with Jake Bean ('98) in a mentorship role so he's covering there as well.

Couple that with some bizarre systems the new coach has introduced (all the players seem stifled), questionable goaltending and a forced commitment to shot-blocking, it's not a surprise that Sanheim has had a few off games.
Yeah. He seems to have a new partner each game. He was back with Morrison last night.

You're right, he's not as aggressive jumping the rush as he was earlier in the year. I guess French gave him a talking to.

Jake Bean was also getting first crack at the PP last night. He's a nice looking offensive D prospect (nightmare defensively), but he's no where near Sanheim yet. Plus that unit was clicking before Sanheim and Virtanen left for WJ camp. Maybe he puts them back now that Virtanen is back.

I don't know enough about French to determine if he's a good coach or not, but he does seem to make some baffling decisions.

Last edited:

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
Random question...

I started working on a site a while ago for Flyer prospect tracking and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping. I am probably going to start over and start simple, but the idea would be to have people (selected based on this board etc) log into an admin interface and log stats after our prospects have games. They would also link to articles etc.

Does this community have the capacity to support such a site? I don't really want to go into too many details right now and there isn't really a goal to make money off of this. It's just a side project as a web developer to push my skills a bit further. Please let me know what you think and who would be willing to help out. I'd need people to cover different leagues etc. I don't want to get into using an API to grab stats or even screen scraping because its unreliable.

Anyway, just throwing it out there. Thanks!

Lots of luck with it. I made one a few years ago (not prospect related) and started out donating 75% to my local animal shelter and later on donated all of it to them. Sounds like a cool idea, I dont have anytime to spare right now though

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Yeah. He seems to have a new partner each game. He was back with Morrison last night.

You're right, he's not as aggressive jumping the rush as he was earlier in the year. I guess French gave him a talking to.

Jake Bean was also getting first crack at the PP last night. He's a nice looking offensive D prospect (nightmare defensively), but he's no where near Sanheim yet. Plus that unit was clicking before Sanheim and Virtanen left for WJ camp. Maybe he puts them back now that Virtanen is back.

I don't know enough about French to determine if he's a good coach or not, but he does seem to make some baffling decisions.
Sanheim -> Virtanen one timer goal on the PP tonight :handclap:

I know that's something that you have talked about a lot and how they should use that combo more often.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sanheim -> Virtanen one timer goal on the PP tonight :handclap:

I know that's something that you have talked about a lot and how they should use that combo more often.

Yeah. Just saw the replay. About time. Virtanen's shot was so disappointing early in the year, but his last two games with the Hitmen he has drilled a one-timer. Good to see them back together.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Manning is playing well. Could be a bottom pairing replacement over someone like Grossmann or Schenn if traded at the deadline.

Macdonald - Streit
Del Zotto - Schultz
Manning - Coburn

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

Could this maybe be really good for Sanheim's development? Getting used to playing with different partners on the fly, being forced to develop his defense and shot blocking? I don't think we have to worry about stifling his offensive potential, cause when the reins are let go, Sanheim is a game breaker. Sure, his numbers might suffer in the short term, but we shouldn't be as concerned with his numbers right now as we should be with his numbers five years from now.

Maybe in the long run, they should find someone who compliments Sanheim's overall game well and keep that together so he can then focus on the little nuances in his game rather than adjusting to such big changes like partner's and defensive responsibilities

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Anyone know if the phantom players hang around and see fans after games?

I'll be going sat and sun. Would like to get some autographs or something.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
2014-15-NHL-Upper-Deck-Series-Two-Young-Guns-Rob-Zepp.jpg

Philadelphia Flyers Prospect Rob Zepp to finally get a NHL® Rookie Card
Upper Deck said:
At 33-years-old, Zepp became the oldest rookie goaltender to ever record a NHL® victory in his debut and now will receive another honour courtesy of Upper Deck. He will become the oldest NHL® goaltender to ever receive an Upper Deck Young Guns rookie card! Fans can find Zepp’s first-ever rookie card in packs of 2014-15 NHL® Upper Deck Series Two which releases in hobby and retail stores on February 25, 2015.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
What is John Stevens up to these days? Call him up too!

Oh wait...

In fairness to Stevens, he was simply not ready to be a head coach when he got the job. He also had a fractured locker room to deal with as well. Did he make mistakes? Absolutely. However, he's been a fantastic assistant in Los Angeles and he's going to be the next head coach there when Sutter steps down. He simply needed time to learn the game at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad