Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Any updates on Sanheim recently?

He's doing alright. Had a 4 game pointless streak (Faleev had a 5 gamer). The team hasn't been playing too well and he got a bit unlucky in the Lethbridge game when they scored 9 goals and didn't get to play much in the 3rd period. They had him paired with Ben Thomas for a bit who has been absolutely awful since he's come back from injury. Thomas has been -8 in 4 games since his return and managed to go -2 in Calgary's 9-2 win over Lethbridge. That is hard to do. That kind of gives you an idea of what he's playing with. Thomas scored last night on a 4 on 3 PP but managed to miss the net 3 times before that. Thomas is also filling in on the first PP with Virtanen out and thinks he's the QB when he's out there so that doesn't really help Sanheim or Calgary either.

The only game Sanheim's really been sub par in is the first game after he was returned from WJ camp prior to the Xmas break. The camp kind of killed the roll he was on, but he'll be alright.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What will the Phantoms pairings look like with Hagg back but Alt out again?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Weekly Prospect Update
AHL
Nick Cousins - 33GP 8G 10A 18PTS +0
Taylor Leier - 30GP 8G 7A 15PTS -2
Petr Straka - 31GP 8G 5A 13PTS +0
Robert Hagg - 28GP 2G 11A 13PTS -1
Brandon Alderson - 19GP 3G 2A 5PTS -3
Shayne Gostisbehere - 5GP 0G 5A 5PTS -1
Mark Alt - 19GP 1G 3A 4PTS -3
Jesper Pettersson - 25GP 0G 2A 2PTS -3
Anthony Stolarz - 14GP 5-6-1 2.63GAA .924SV% 2SO

CHL (OHL, QMJHL, & WHL)
Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 34GP 16G 22A 38PTS +5
Travis Sanheim - 36GP 10G 22A 32PTS +10
Radel Fazleev - 38GP 11G 19A 30PTS +5
Tyrell Goulbourne - 32GP 14G 9A 23PTS +5
Samuel Morin - 12GP 2G 7A 9PTS +0

KHL
Valeri Vasiliev - 26GP 1G 2A 3PTS +5

NCAA
Michael Parks - 19GP 6G 14A 20PTS
Mark Friedman - 18GP 2G 6A 8PTS
David Drake - 15GP 1G 3A 4PTS
Reece Willcox - 13GP 1G 1A 2PTS
Terrance Amorosa - 7GP 0G 1A 1PTS
Merrick Madsen - DNP

SHL
Oskar Lindblom - 17GP 4G 5A 9PTS +3

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Stolarz SV% is looking very healthy considering in the games I have seen the team has seemingly played worse in front of him than they have for Zepp.

Goalies are impossible to predict, but with his progress as a goalie since he left Nebraska-Omaha, and his size and athletic ability, he has a legitimate chance to be the player we all hope he can.

And gosh is that 2012 draft starting to look like it could be ridiculously good... there is a legitimate chance it could provide 5 NHL players.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's certainly not getting much help. Alt, Hagg, Gostisbehere, and Laughton have all been missing most of the time and the rest of the team is pretty bad except for a few guys.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
5 goals on 21 shots on Wednesday didn't help his numbers either.

You never know what a goalie's like upstairs, but I have a good feeling about him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's certainly not getting much help. Alt, Hagg, Gostisbehere, and Laughton have all been missing most of the time and the rest of the team is pretty bad except for a few guys.

I think they're decent up front with veteran guys like Jones, Gordon, and hopefully VdV coming back soon. But they don't have the defensive depth to cope with losing Ghost and Alt for most of the season.

RJ8812*

I wouldn't say the forward group is bad

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I meant he's not getting much help defensively, the guys I listed were his best defense and now there's not really anyone. Jones, Gordon, ect are OK AHL forwards, but they're not really smart defensive players like the ones I listed. And yeah, there are a few decent forwards, Jones, Gordon, Straka, Cousins, Leier, and Akeson, but none of them are recognizable prospects like the guys missing. They're just a bunch of AHL players who hope for a chance in the NHL; Hagg, Ghost, Alt, and Laughton are all guys who have a very good chance at becoming NHL players.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I meant he's not getting much help defensively, the guys I listed were his best defense and now there's not really anyone. Jones, Gordon, ect are OK AHL forwards, but they're not really smart defensive players like the ones I listed. And yeah, there are a few decent forwards, Jones, Gordon, Straka, Cousins, Leier, and Akeson, but none of them are recognizable prospects like the guys missing. They're just a bunch of AHL players who hope for a chance in the NHL; Hagg, Ghost, Alt, and Laughton are all guys who have a very good chance at becoming NHL players.

Stolarz facing a ton of shots is a good thing though. He's relying less on athleticism to make saves and instead is relying on positioning and technique to make stops. The more shots he faces, the more he learns to use positioning and technique instead of athleticism. Yes, there will be times that he will rely on his athletic ability to make stops, but the technical and positioning foundation is better suited for him in terms of developing in the long run.

Stolarz has adapted quite well to the AHL though. My hope is that he stays the full season this year and it's uninterrupted and then next season, he gets the starter's role and gets a couple of call ups to Philadelphia.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe Zepp can be Mason's backup next season. He couldn't do any worse than Emery.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think so, yes. A two-way deal.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20140805014849/http://www.capgeek.com/player/3457

I'm sure he would happily take a one-way deal to be the backup in 15-16 at $750,000.

I'd certainly have no problems with Zepp as the back up to Mason. It's painful to watch Emery now that his hips are done. It's too bad that the body is broken because the spirit certainly isn't. My hope is that if Emery can no longer play, the Flyers offer him a goaltending coaching position because I think he'd make a fantastic goaltending coach.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'd certainly have no problems with Zepp as the back up to Mason. It's painful to watch Emery now that his hips are done. It's too bad that the body is broken because the spirit certainly isn't. My hope is that if Emery can no longer play, the Flyers offer him a goaltending coaching position because I think he'd make a fantastic goaltending coach.

Why? He's a decent technical goaltender, but how does that make him a strong teacher of goaltending technique?

The best goaltending coach in the NHL never even made it past New England junior hockey.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Why? He's a decent technical goaltender, but how does that make him a strong teacher of goaltending technique?

The best goaltending coach in the NHL never even made it past New England junior hockey.

Personal opinion here, but with Emery having to adjust his game because of his hips, I think he can definitely point out technical deficiencies. As well, prior to his hip issues, Emery got to experience the game from the OHL, AHL, NHL and KHL, so there is a wealth of experience with regards to the game.

I'm not saying that he has to be the goaltending coach of the Flyers. However, I think he'd be a great addition to the team in Lehigh Valley and with the number of younger players that will be going through there, having a guy who's been through it might be beneficial.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they can give Cote a job down there I wouldn't be opposed to Emery getting a start as a coach with the Phantoms, if that's what he's looking for.

RJ8812*

Zepp needs to show more at the NHL level to see if he can actually be a legit NHL back-up. One game isn't enough

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Hey,

Can't find injury news about the Phantoms on the website.

I will be going to both games Jan 10-11th here in St. John's. Wanted to know who I'd likely be seeing on the ice - minus Ghost and I think.. Alt?

Will be in OUR attack zone both games, hope they can show me something!

Is it "Let's Go Phantoms" as the cheer at home? IF anyone can confirm, please do so, as I want the team to hear me and I can piss off my local fans ;)

Brozgalov

May 11, 2010
Bucks County, PA
Random question...

I started working on a site a while ago for Flyer prospect tracking and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping. I am probably going to start over and start simple, but the idea would be to have people (selected based on this board etc) log into an admin interface and log stats after our prospects have games. They would also link to articles etc.

Does this community have the capacity to support such a site? I don't really want to go into too many details right now and there isn't really a goal to make money off of this. It's just a side project as a web developer to push my skills a bit further. Please let me know what you think and who would be willing to help out. I'd need people to cover different leagues etc. I don't want to get into using an API to grab stats or even screen scraping because its unreliable.

Anyway, just throwing it out there. Thanks!

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Some of the comments on that Morin thread on the prospects board are cringeworthy. People assume that just because he's big he can't skate well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad