Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
quick whistle?

Clapperton cross checked a guy in the back as the shot was coming. Nice play too.

Finished +4 and was just coming off the ice as they scored their 5th goal. Barbashev and Garland finished -5 and I don't think they played more than 12 minutes. Morin and Beaudoin shut them down. Really strong showing for Morin. He's a monster in his own zone and on the PK. He takes up so much space its like they aren't even short handed (I hear the Flyers need PK help). Has only been on the ice for 1 goal against since returning from World Juniors and that was the Aube-Kubel open netter. Rimouski is 4-0 too. Wish they would set him up to shoot more. His shot is heavy. Wrister has gotten much better too.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Clapperton cross checked a guy in the back as the shot was coming. Nice play too.

Finished +4 and was just coming off the ice as they scored their 5th goal. Barbashev and Garland finished -5 and I don't think they played more than 12 minutes. Morin and Beaudoin shut them down. Really strong showing for Morin. He's a monster in his own zone and on the PK. He takes up so much space its like they aren't even short handed (I hear the Flyers need PK help). Has only been on the ice for 1 goal against since returning from World Juniors and that was the Aube-Kubel open netter. Rimouski is 4-0 too. Wish they would set him up to shoot more. His shot is heavy. Wrister has gotten much better too.

Maybe I'm crazy, but in my limited viewings of CHL hockey it seems like forwards very rarely pass the puck back to the Dmen while in the offensive zone. They cycle down behind the net to a fault, even when the Dmen are wide open.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Maybe I'm crazy, but in my limited viewings of CHL hockey it seems like forwards very rarely pass the puck back to the Dmen while in the offensive zone. They cycle down behind the net to a fault, even when the Dmen are wide open.

It's sort of the same way in the NCAA. Most coaches in the amateur ranks don't trust their defensemen to make the right decisions at the blue line as consistently as professional coaches do. Plus, it's easier to produce offense down low in juniors because defensive systems/players aren't as tough to beat with just forechecking forwards.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Depends on the team I guess. Sanheim touches the puck a lot on the PP (when they have him in the right spot), but he rarely shoots- that's not his strong suit. Morin overwhelms most junior goalies with his shot. Yeah he misses the net sometimes, but for the most part he's effective. His release is much better since he was drafted too. He likes to shoot. Sometimes he forces shots, because he doesn't see the puck a lot. I just think they would have better results if they had a set play for him every once in a while. I could be totally biased in that observation though (he's only played 16 games also). They are deep up front, but don't really have a go-to guy. He looked really good on the PP today and he's moving better laterally which is opening things up for him.

He has 15 points in 16 games though and honestly I think he could have more with a little more PP production. Just noticed he has a 6.3 shooting percentage in each of the last 3 seasons. Is that a trend? :laugh:

Last edited:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Bored and decided to watch youtube videos of Union's 2014 National Championship season.

Pretty awesome to follow that team & Gostisbehere for the 2 years he was on it after he was drafted.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Bored and decided to watch youtube videos of Union's 2014 National Championship season.

Pretty awesome to follow that team & Gostisbehere for the 2 years he was on it after he was drafted.
So disappointed when he got hurt. I think he was on his way towards tearing up the AHL. Incredible talent. I like watching Morin and Sanheim play, but Gostisbehere just brings a little extra juice to the table. Can't wait until he comes back.

I see Mark Friedman had 2 points this weekend. Just looking game by game, he had 3 points in his first 4 games, went pointless the next 9, and has 8 points in his last 9 games. Co-points leader among defensemen for Bowling Green. Hopefully he can keep it up. We need a righty!!!

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
So disappointed when he got hurt. I think he was on his way towards tearing up the AHL. Incredible talent. I like watching Morin and Sanheim play, but Gostisbehere just brings a little extra juice to the table. Can't wait until he comes back.

I see Mark Friedman had 2 points this weekend. Just looking game by game, he had 3 points in his first 4 games, went pointless the next 9, and has 8 points in his last 9 games. Co-points leader among defensemen for Bowling Green. Hopefully he can keep it up. We need a righty!!!

Every time I see Gaudreau making great plays for Calgary, I take some solace that Ghost has his number completely and will hopefully be doing the same for the Flyers sooner than later.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA

Yep. Really sucks.

I would have gone to a lot more Phantoms games if he were healthy. He's honestly worth the price of an AHL ticket.

Like you said, he just has a little something else that a lot of prospects don't have. Skating, passing, shot are all dynamic. Even when he wasn't putting up points he was still making plays.

I just really hope that his knee injury won't adversely affect his skating ability in the long run.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Every time I see Gaudreau making great plays for Calgary, I take some solace that Ghost has his number completely and will hopefully be doing the same for the Flyers sooner than later.

Oh I know. That 2013 Regional game especially. He absolutely took over that game. He is a big game player. There is no doubt about that.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yep. Really sucks.

I would have gone to a lot more Phantoms games if he were healthy. He's honestly worth the price of an AHL ticket.

Like you said, he just has a little something else that a lot of prospects don't have. Skating, passing, shot are all dynamic. Even when he wasn't putting up points he was still making plays.

I just really hope that his knee injury won't adversely affect his skating ability in the long run.

He's got that gamebreaking flair that you can't help but watch. He's like Krug up in Boston. Sure, Hamilton (Sanheim/Morin) is probably the better overall player, but Krug is somebody that you get excited about every time he touches the puck because of how explosive he is.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Oh I know. That 2013 Regional game especially. He absolutely took over that game. He is a big game player. There is no doubt about that.

Yes, meant no disrespect to Gaudreau, just encouraged that our small guy might make it big too.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Weekly Prospect Update
AHL
Nick Cousins - 38GP 13G 15A 28PTS +6
Taylor Leier - 35GP 8G 9A 17PTS -5
Robert Hagg - 33GP 3G 11A 14PTS +1
Petr Straka - 36GP 8G 5A 13PTS -4
Brandon Alderson - 24GP 3G 2A 5PTS -6
Shayne Gostisbehere - 5GP 0G 5A 5PTS -1
Mark Alt - 19GP 1G 3A 4PTS -3
Jesper Pettersson - 25GP 0G 2A 2PTS -3
Anthony Stolarz - 17GP 6-8-1 2.71GAA .921SV% 2SO

CHL (OHL, QMJHL, & WHL)
Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 39GP 22G 26A 48PTS +8
Travis Sanheim - 41GP 10G 29A 39PTS +11
Radel Fazleev - 45GP 13G 22A 35PTS +7
Tyrell Goulbourne - 37GP 14G 12A 26PTS +9
Samuel Morin - 16GP 3G 12A 15PTS +11

KHL
Valeri Vasiliev - 29GP 1G 2A 3PTS +5

NCAA
Michael Parks - 23GP 8G 15A 23PTS
Mark Friedman - 22GP 2G 9A 11PTS
Reece Willcox - 17GP 1G 3A 4PTS
David Drake - 19GP 1G 3A 4PTS
Terrance Amorosa - 8GP 0G 1A 1PTS
Merrick Madsen - 1GP 0-0-0 2.77GAA .846SV% 0SO

SHL
Oskar Lindblom - 21GP 5G 5A 10PTS +3

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's got that gamebreaking flair that you can't help but watch. He's like Krug up in Boston. Sure, Hamilton (Sanheim/Morin) is probably the better overall player, but Krug is somebody that you get excited about every time he touches the puck because of how explosive he is.
Yup. I think he's actually got better tools to work with than Krug.

Yes, meant no disrespect to Gaudreau, just encouraged that our small guy might make it big too.
I know what you meant. I love Gaudreau too.

I see Madsen made his college debut too.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Meh, it's alright, but it's kind of what you expect from a drafted forward playing in his 4th year of college hockey. If he weren't producing at this level as a senior, there would be almost no hope of him amounting to much as a professional.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I saw that Jesper Pettersson was scratched again. Anyone know why he keeps getting scratched?

From what I read and talked to people, he is having problems (like alot of foreign players do) adjusting to the ice size and play.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
another awful pick by Holmgren. Thank god it was only in the 7th round and not the 3rd, but it would have been nice to pick Ondrej Palat

I can't see the red wings ever picking Mathers. But I forgot, we are so much smarter than they are at drafting. They actually draft talented players even in later rounds.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Philadelphia Flyers ‏@NHLFlyers 1m1 minute ago

Roster Update: The #Flyers have recalled defensemen Brandon Manning & Oliver Lauridsen from the @LVPhantoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad