Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Just came back from the Phantoms game. First time even though I'm 15 minutes away. Had a blast.

Got to meet Bobby Clarke and get a puck & poster signed by him before the game.

Couple thoughts:

-Cousins looked great. Goals 1 and 3 were snipes and the 2nd was off a rebound which was put right onto his stick. Tries to do too much at times but has a nose for the puck. Better defensively than what I had thought. Skating still isn't the best but it doesn't hinder him too much at the AHL level.

-Ouellette (Phantoms goalie...wanted to see Stolarz in person) played pretty good. Had some juicy rebounds but also made some nice saves. Probably nothing more than a ECHL/AHL goalie, but had a good game.

-Hagg was solid but unspectacular. His give a **** level while on the ice is always on cruise control. Nothing really phases him, but he doesn't seem to ramp up his play. Just one speed. Has a rocket which I would like to see him use more.

Random note: I was in section 210 row 2, which was the 2nd row in the upper level where the Phantoms shot twice. Hagg had a shot in the game where it got deflected off a Senators stick and the damn puck went flying over me (I jumped up to try and grab it) and it went all the way up to the top of the arena, where it hit the concrete wall behind the last row and bounced down. Never saw a puck go that high up and it was coming at us fast. Glad nobody got hurt.

denominator

Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Scratched prior. He finished the last game so idk what's going on. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Word in the stands was he has the flu.

His billet family was at the game but left quickly about 5 minutes into the first period. Everything suggests he was a late scratch as the radioshow prior to the game didn't say anything about him missing the game either.

His absence was noticeable as the Hitmen looked terrible tonight without him.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

His billet family was at the game but left quickly about 5 minutes into the first period. Everything suggests he was a late scratch as the radioshow prior to the game didn't say anything about him missing the game either.

How many minutes does Sanheim usually play for the Hitmen in relation to the other dmen? Does he get much time on the penalty kill?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

They said upper body on the radio. Does the flu count as upper body? :laugh:

Hopefully that's all it is.
How many minutes does Sanheim usually play for the Hitmen in relation to the other dmen? Does he get much time on the penalty kill?
He's the #1 guy. He plays about 25 minutes a night I would say. 30 some nights. PK and PP.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Thanks for the update.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Just came back from the Phantoms game. First time even though I'm 15 minutes away. Had a blast.

Got to meet Bobby Clarke and get a puck & poster signed by him before the game.

Couple thoughts:

-Cousins looked great. Goals 1 and 3 were snipes and the 2nd was off a rebound which was put right onto his stick. Tries to do too much at times but has a nose for the puck. Better defensively than what I had thought. Skating still isn't the best but it doesn't hinder him too much at the AHL level.

-Ouellette (Phantoms goalie...wanted to see Stolarz in person) played pretty good. Had some juicy rebounds but also made some nice saves. Probably nothing more than a ECHL/AHL goalie, but had a good game.

-Hagg was solid but unspectacular. His give a **** level while on the ice is always on cruise control. Nothing really phases him, but he doesn't seem to ramp up his play. Just one speed. Has a rocket which I would like to see him use more.

Random note: I was in section 210 row 2, which was the 2nd row in the upper level where the Phantoms shot twice. Hagg had a shot in the game where it got deflected off a Senators stick and the damn puck went flying over me (I jumped up to try and grab it) and it went all the way up to the top of the arena, where it hit the concrete wall behind the last row and bounced down. Never saw a puck go that high up and it was coming at us fast. Glad nobody got hurt.

The young man looks like he gets it. I could see him on our 4th line some day.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
The young man looks like he gets it. I could see him on our 4th line some day.

I talked to Cousins before the game last night at Tim Hortons.
I told him his goal the night before was a beauty and asked if he meant to slap it top corner. He said he just put his head down and let it rip. Then I told him I work behind the penalty box, he said, "yeah I was in there last night. I'll try to stay out of it tonight." I said that those refs sucked last night and that they were calling everything. He laughed and agreed. I told him good luck tonight and he said thanks.

After the game and his hat trick, he told the announcer that he just felt like he had a lot of confidence tonight and was getting to the right places for goals and that the fans here are great.

I like to think I'm about 50% of the reason he scored 4 points last night.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
There were questions of whether or not Cousins' offense would translate into the pro ranks, but it's been pretty impressive that he's produced as well as he has as a 21 year old playing mostly with Stortini and Gordon. Gordon is a pretty good AHL vet, but it's not like he drives the play. Cousins was the only Phantom that impressed me a couple of weeks ago during their weekend trip down here to Norfolk. He's got good offensive instincts. Not overly skilled, but knows where to get on the ice to contribute.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
28 pts (13G & 15a) now for Cousins through 37 games, on pace for 56 points. That's a big improvement over last year. Hell, he's one point away from tying last years total and that's with 37 less games. :laugh:

I've always been a believe in Cousins' game. I know there were questions cause of his skating, two way game and to a lesser extent size but he's got a great work ethic and the puck seems to follow him (he's got good offensive instincts). At only 21, I think he's got time to work on his flaws. Could be a real contribute in a couple years, unlike a Rinaldo.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
28 pts (13G & 15a) now for Cousins through 37 games, on pace for 56 points. That's a big improvement over last year. Hell, he's one point away from tying last years total and that's with 37 less games. :laugh:

I've always been a believe in Cousins' game. I know there were questions cause of his skating, two way game and to a lesser extent size but he's got a great work ethic and the puck seems to follow him (he's got good offensive instincts). At only 21, I think he's got time to work on his flaws. Could be a real contribute in a couple years, unlike a Rinaldo.

If he's ever to make a career for himself in the NHL, it'll be in a Marchand type of role, which would be outstanding. He doesn't have the game to be a 4th liner. His future would be in a 3rd line checking role, who can maybe pot ~10-15 goals a year

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
I think Cousins is a lot better than people give him credit for. When he gets called up for his stint, I think a lot of people will be surprised.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The only concerning thing is that he might end up as a top six or nothing kind of guy. He gets physically manhandled sometimes even in the AHL. He wouldn't last 82 games playing in a more traditional grinding role, imo.

denominator

Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Anyone know if Sanheim is expected to play today?

I haven't heard otherwise, and based on him being a late scratch yesterday, I think he'll play today. I suspect that both Sanheim and Virtanen were scratched yesterday for precautionary reasons based on back-to-back games.

He's the #1 guy. He plays about 25 minutes a night I would say. 30 some nights. PK and PP.

At least. He's the on the #1 PK and the #2 PP although that is a mistake (they had Fazleev on the point with Thomas in Sanheim's place last night and it was rough).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I haven't heard otherwise, and based on him being a late scratch yesterday, I think he'll play today. I suspect that both Sanheim and Virtanen were scratched yesterday for precautionary reasons based on back-to-back games.

At least. He's the on the #1 PK and the #2 PP although that is a mistake (they had Fazleev on the point with Thomas in Sanheim's place last night and it was rough).
Virtanen missed the Red Deer game too.

I think Sanheim was just too scared to go up against Joe Hicketts after seeing Pronman's rankings. :sarcasm:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Morin 2 assists and +3 through one period. The second assist was the result of a great read and lethal poke check in the defensive zone. Read the cross ice pass, closed the gap, and swiped the puck leading to a two on one. Awesome play. Looks like he's got his legs back under him after the one week break.

The best part is he has done it matched up against the duo of Garland-Barbashev. You don't often see line-matching in the CHL to the level it is done in the NHL, but the chess match is definitely on today. Moncton's coach benched Garland and Barbashev for the rest of the period after the 3rd goal. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad