Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVII) (Released, Post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I really hope its MSL who replaces Stammer, his last chance for Olympic gold... Do the right thing Steve

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
In a way, this is the hockey gods' way of giving Stevie Y the middle finger when he omitted a healthy (but already very productive) Steven Stamkos in 2010. It didn't bite us on the smaller ice although it could have. Now that Stamkos is a lock he gets what may be one of the few major injuries in his career and he barely misses being cleared by doctors as it seems he's only a few weeks away from having the bone fully healed. A shame really.

Not quite Paul Kariya in Nagano 1998 but not that far off either...
Really?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

He won't be but MSL because :

1) He knows this will be his last kick at the can.
2) He will want to show the world that TC made a mistake when they passed him by the first time.

theranfordflop

Jul 2, 2003
Vancouver
Here's a curveball: Nate MacKinnon. He's going to be a huge part of Canadian national teams moving forward, might as well get him in there early.

Also, he's amazing, and would tear that big ice to shreds.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Here's a curveball: Nate MacKinnon. He's going to be a huge part of Canadian national teams moving forward, might as well get him in there early.

Hall would be the obvious choice from this mindset...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Right-handed scorer who can play the right side and whose skating could be a factor on the big-ice. First name that comes to mind: Seguin. He could be a nice wildcard candidate IMO.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013

I actually like this.

Mackinnon is deadly.

Still, MSL, Giroux are ahead of him...maybe Hall as well.

Seguin would be a good pick as well.

Bryzard of Oz

Mar 28, 2012
I'm a Flyers fan so I'd like to see G on the team but I think it should be MSL. I'd be happy with either.

If it's Neal I'll probably vomit

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
In a way, this is the hockey gods' way of giving Stevie Y the middle finger when he omitted a healthy (but already very productive) Steven Stamkos in 2010. It didn't bite us on the smaller ice although it could have. Now that Stamkos is a lock he gets what may be one of the few major injuries in his career and he barely misses being cleared by doctors as it seems he's only a few weeks away from having the bone fully healed. A shame really.

Not quite Paul Kariya in Nagano 1998 but not that far off either...

There is no such thing as the hockey gods. It was just bad luck, give it a rest.

AbsolutelyNot

Nov 8, 2012
PA
I have to think Canadian brass has their guy in mind already. It's not like they haven't had months to prepare for this scenario. I'd guess they had 2 rosters already set January 7th: one with Stamkos in, one with him out.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

No chance. I'd be surprised to not see him next Olympics, but as of now, no way.

jjyay

Apr 11, 2011
I have to think Canadian brass has their guy in mind already. It's not like they haven't had months to prepare for this scenario. I'd guess they had 2 rosters already set January 7th: one with Stamkos in, one with him out.

Oh for sure, this was an easily foreseeable outcome. Likely the replacement player has already been informed; they'll be flying halfway across the globe in a few days.

I'm thinking it's got to be either MSL or Giroux.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
I'm a Flyers fan so I'd like to see G on the team but I think it should be MSL. I'd be happy with either.

If it's Neal I'll probably vomit

stevie y would be shot if he passed on Marty twice. I to agree that G should be on the team( he should have been selected on the 1st go around) but I hope he is not selected for selfish reasons only. I am happy for Jeff Carter but come on, he is not the player Claude Giroux is.

beer league

Dec 22, 2008
Canada
Big, can skate, nice hands, can pass, can shoot

What didn't he do?

Anyone that was looked at to be on this team can skate, has nice hands, and can shoot and pass. That's not really a compliment. Really anyone in the NHL has those above qualities, minus a few of the tougher guys hands wise.

beer league

Dec 22, 2008
Canada
As a Canadian i want them to pick the best possible forward to replace Stamkos, so really this is a pretty easy option. James Neal. If you question why then its clear your either American or you've never seen a hockey game.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Watched a clip of Off The Record with Michael Landsberg - if there is a worse host of a sport's program, I don't know who it is. Anyway, he interviewed Mike Milbury and MM believes it should be MSL.

It will NOT stop snowing. Shovelling the driveway is no big deal in Canada but I HAD to use the snow-blower (TWICE) today because of the amount. I love it but when will it end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad