Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVII) (Released, Post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
In a way, this is the hockey gods' way of giving Stevie Y the middle finger when he omitted a healthy (but already very productive) Steven Stamkos in 2010.

It's more like the hockey gods giving Stamkos the middle finger considering there's now a good chance he won't play in the Olympics in his prime... or ever (who knows if the league will allow NHLers to participate in 2018 Olympics).

no1b4me

Sep 17, 2007
I don't get fans of NHL teams that want a player from their team going. I wish none of my favorite team were going to Sochi. So I hope MSL gets picked. Some players will be out of gas after playing 82 games plus Olympics and going into a long playoff run.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I'd go with Neal's pure goalscoring myself, but I could see E. Staal taken for a 4th line defensive role and have Nash play with Kunitz and Crosby as the natural goal scorer on that unit. As great as St. Louis has been and as much respect as people have for Giroux, I just don't see either fitting into the team concept quite as well as E. Staal or Neal would.

CK17

May 13, 2007
1) Giroux
2) Neal
3) St. Louis

are my top choices. Really don't want Staal there.

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
Wish we got the chance to see Crosby passing to Stamkos all tournament, would've been something special.

Agreed I was really looking forward to that too.....Would have liked to have seen a line of Tavares Crosby and Stamkos. I think Hall or Neal would be my choice now.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I am not sure why everyone at TSN is so obsessed with Couture. He made their poll for who the replacement should be, along with Neal and Giroux who sources say aren't even being considered.

Isn't Couture injured?

Agree. I remember some of TSN "Experts" saying Couture was a lock for Team Canada as well for a couple of months. That was the furthest thing from the truth. I like MSL as my replacement.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Any word on when the replacement will be announced?

There can't be that much deliberation over whom it'll be.

no1b4me

Sep 17, 2007
Take the "experts" with a grain of salt. They are the same crew that picks the Pens as the stanley cup winners every year and they haven't done a thing since 2009,lol.

calvin0416*

I'm gonna go off the board and say the youngest ever to play in Olympic hockey for Canada, Nathan MacKinnon. Why? Duchene is on the team, yet when you compare their head to head numbers, MacKinnon has more goals and a better plus rating (+12 to Duchene's -1). Not to mention, MacKinnon has done most of this on less ice-time and 3rd line duties. He's also one of the fastest skaters in the NHL period which would service Team Canada well on the big european ice.

MacKinnon also has more goals than E. Staal, Neal, or Giroux. He has a better + rating as well than all of them (+21 better than Staal, +13 better than Giroux).

But hey, I know he won't get picked for sure as he's just 18. Just thought it'd be fun to put this out there and give the kid some props. I'd personally have him on the team simply for being top 5 fastest skater, goal scoring prowess, one of the best releases already in the NHL, and already one of the better defensive forwards in the NHL too.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Take the "experts" with a grain of salt. They are the same crew that picks the Pens as the stanley cup winners every year and they haven't done a thing since 2009,lol.

Absolutely. They have the same expertise as me or any other poster here on HFBoards when picking winners for the Cup. They also said St. Louis and Couture were both "Locks" for Team Canada, from their sources a couple of days before the team was announced, and that was the furthest thing from the truth. Maybe their sources were their own imaginations (LOL).

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Absolutely. They have the same expertise as me or any other poster here on HFBoards when picking up a cup. They said St. Louis and Couture were both "Locks" for Team Canada from their sources a couple of days before the team was announced, and that is the furthest thing from the truth. Maybe their sources were their own imaginations.

The day before the roster was released, they released theirs, and were 24/25. I'm sure you'd do a much better job of predicting everything.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
I'm gonna go off the board and say the youngest ever to play in Olympic hockey for Canada, Nathan MacKinnon. Why? Duchene is on the team, yet when you compare their head to head numbers, MacKinnon has more goals and a better plus rating (+12 to Duchene's -1). Not to mention, MacKinnon has done most of this on less ice-time and 3rd line duties. He's also one of the fastest skaters in the NHL period which would service Team Canada well on the big european ice.

MacKinnon also has more goals than E. Staal, Neal, or Giroux. He has a better + rating as well than all of them (+21 better than Staal, +13 better than Giroux).

But hey, I know he won't get picked for sure as he's just 18. Just thought it'd be fun to put this out there and give the kid some props. I'd personally have him on the team simply for being top 5 fastest skater, goal scoring prowess, one of the best releases already in the NHL, and already one of the better defensive forwards in the NHL too.

He won't be picked because he is not nearly good enough yet to be on Team Canada. Silly suggestion.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The day before the roster was released, they released theirs, and were 24/25. I'm sure you'd do a much better job of predicting everything.

I was 24/25 as well. I posted my roster here the night before. I had MSL over Benn, or otherwise i was 25/25. Maybe i am thinking of the Sportsnet Crew, and not the TSN "Experts", who had Couture and MSL as Locks. You are right- i would do a much better job of predicting everything. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would also ask for a much lower salary than what "these Experts" are paid from what i have read.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Barkov and Nichushkin were named to their respective country's rosters, also as 18-year olds, so age wouldn't be a reason to hold Mac back. Interesting idea, hadn't thought of that.

Wouldn't mind seeing Seguin get a phone call to join his buddy Jamie Benn on the next plane to Sochi, though. :D

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
If Giroux and and St Louis have any dignity, they should tell Yzerman to frig off, but that's just me.
You call that having dignity? I call that being petty. Forget the management and concentrate on representing your country at the best hockey tournament in the world where you're playing among the best.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013

He's not going to be picked because he's not better than those players and he's not a good enough player to make the team.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Barkov and Nichushkin were named to their respective country's rosters, also as 18-year olds, so age wouldn't be a reason to hold Mac back. Interesting idea, hadn't thought of that.

Wouldn't mind seeing Seguin get a phone call to join his buddy Jamie Benn on the next plane to Sochi, though. :D

Those teams are nowhere near as deep as Canada is, Crosby and Stamkos were left off the 06/10 team while being near the top of the list of Canadian scorers at the time, Mackinnon is nowhere close.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

What a goal by Sid on Miller. Is it just me or does Sid have his number?

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Chalk up another vote for Marty St Louis.
I'm a huge Giroux fan as well, but I think a natural winger would be a better option for the team.

Stammer is a RH shot and St.Louis and Neal are both LH shots, doesn't work, has to be Giroux. To think that Giroux can't play wing is a laugh, he played the position before he switched to Center.
To the guy that thinks Flyers fans are the only ones that think Giroux is a great player...get a life and do some research.

MyNameIsNobody*

Please St. Louis on RW. Kunitz is enough for chemistry.

MSL would have been on this team by now...SOMEONE is stopping him from being on this team....If he goes its purely political...

Corsi:
5-5 Best Hall/Neal/Seguin
5-4 PP Neal/Giroux/
5-5 down 2 Giroux/Staal/Hall
5-5 down 1 Staal/
5-5 trailing Neal/Staal/Seguin

It will be Neal or Staal....maybe a long shot youngster like Seguin

But it will NOT be MSL or he would have been on this team already....

Look at the mold they built... BIG and FAST

They will continue in that mold....think about it...BIG and FAST....

Staal or NEAL

Staal has turned it on recently ....his knee injury has hurt him early but now he has turned on

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
He won't be picked because he is not nearly good enough yet to be on Team Canada. Silly suggestion.

I don't think it is that silly of a Suggestion, he has elite speed and goal scoring ability the only question is experience.

BTW I still think it should be MSL.

Wings13

Aug 14, 2007
Still think it should be MSL but revising my proposed lines a bit

Kunitz-Crosby-Duchene/Carter
St. Louis - Toews - Sharp
Tavares - Bergeron - Marleau
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
Nash, Duchene/Carter

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada